Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
white pellets in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

white pellets in stool

For some time now, I've had little white specks in my stool. I never thought a great deal about it. Recently, I've had some loose stools (probably due to the antacids). In some of these stools there's been some white pellets floating loose. I removed one and inspected it. It's solid. It's not strainy or liquid like. It seems like it has two layers. Any idea what this may be? I take vitamins in capsule form. Could these pellets be caused from the capsules?
It is possible that it can be remnants from pills.  Without seeing it myself, it is difficult to say.  You may also want to ensure it isn't anything infectious - sending the stool off for ova/parasites, as well as culture, would be recommended.

If the diagnosis continues to be not revealing, an endoscopy - such as a flexible sigmoidoscopy - can be considered to take a look at the bowel to ensure nothing else is going on.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I forgot to mention, I'm a 29 year old male.
Any chance it looks like a sesame seed?  I had the same problem (or so I thought) and then one day realized it was only happening about 12 to 24 hours after having had a sesame seed bun.  Turns out my body isn't really good at digesting those seeds.  Just a thought.
Actually, it does resemble a sesame seed. But, I don't reallly consume sesame seads. I brought one to my doctor. He didn't seem too concerned.
tomato seeds get passed out too.
also corn

I am taking Prevacid and find that there is tiny white pellets in the stool.
someone i know had a cat and this cat never stay home.
And it does have worms,she can tell from its feces.
Then one day she took prevacid for gastritis treatment and found out she was passing white stuff which look like thin broken vermicelli,at first she did not pay much attention,then the next day there were more in her stool.
Then she realised that was the cause of her paleness,she was getting rather pale in hot summer.
i think they are called ringworms.
Then she also found a broken piece which has the thickness of sphagetti,so she figured it could be a different kind of worm.
She went to the doctor and he said he is not aware prevacid would kill parasites but he gave her some medication for curing worm infection and i guess the prevacid has done a good job,there were no more left to kill.
Okay folks, I've had the same problem, too.  After a few tests my Dr. and I have nailed it down to the Prevacid pellets.  He felt it was the coating that was left (not digested).  I'm wondering if the med is even digesting itself.  

In any case, that's where we are.  Has anyone heard anything about Prevacid not dissolving?
A related discussion, same problem, seeking help was started.