Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
yellow liquid stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

yellow liquid stools

I am a 26 year old female.
  For the last week I have been having nausea.  It has not been too serious and
  I haven't been too concerned, until today.
  Today I woke up and had the nausea right away (normally I was not
  feeling it until the afternoon).  I also had diarrhea pretty badly
  (no abdominal cramps).  The part that has me concerned is after I
  had the diarrhea I later went to the bathroom and had a completely
  liquid bowel movement.  It was yellow in color with no brown or
  solid material in it.  I have had a few episodes of this in the
  last few hours.  I am not in pain but I do still have the nausea.
  I am trying to eat to make myself feel better but it neither helps
  or hinders the condition. Also, I am an avid bike rider and find
  that taking a nice long ride actually helps the nausea, at least
  while I am riding.
  I recently had a dose of methotrexate for something unrelated
  to my digestive system.  Could this be causing some digestive
  upset?
  Any information you may give would be greatly appreciated.  I
  do understand that you can't possibly give a diagnosis over the
  internet but any information would be helpful.  Thank you.
Dear sb,
Nausea and acute diarrhea are suggestive of an infectious cause secondary to a viral or bacterial gastroenteritis. If you recently started taking methotrexate, it may be related to that medicine as well. In trying to establish the diagnosis certain additional pieces of information may be helpful. Knowing about recent travel or camping trips, antibiotic use or having been exposed to certain foods or people with a similar type of illness can point to a particular type of infection. Many medications cause diarrhea. Lactose intolerance or other dietary substances (foods containing fructose and sorbitol) may be responsible for diarrhea in some patients. It is also helpful to note the presence of fever, chills, blood in the stool, abdominal cramping, vomiting and weight loss. Many cases of acute diarrhea are undiagnosed because they tend to be self-limited infections. However, if your symptoms persist you may need to send some stool samples to the lab to try to identify an infectious organism. If none is found, you may require a test called flexible sigmoidoscopy where a tube with a light and video camera are advanced up the left side of the large intestine. Areas of inflammation (if present) can be visualized during the procedure. Biopsies (tissue samples) can be sent  during the procedure if necessary. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: gastroesophageal reflux, Helicobacter pylori infection, medical therapy, fundoplication

A related discussion, ongoing liquid diarrhea was started.