Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
your Opinion Please

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

your Opinion Please

My mother was just diagnosed with Colitus.
Approximatley 12 years ago she was in a car accedent and was perscribed T3 for the pain and became addicted to the codine.  When she could no longer get T3 she started taking generic tylonal with codine and caffine and she would take 5 - 10+ at a time 5 - 10+ times a day and get the same effect as she would from taking T3.  As well she drinks on a regular basis.

My question is would this be the cause of her Colutis?  

The way I see it, it is ovbious that taking 50 - 100 tylonal's daily ate through her intestines and caused her to have this illness.  She doesn't see it that way and her doctor doesn't, I belive, know the extent in which she took the pills because he told her that would not have caused it.  

So I would like to know if you could let me know your opinion so I can show her.

As well maybe you could somehowe let people know the dangers and addictions that can come for taking generic codine caffine pills they sell them over the counter at any drug store and don't question how often they are bought.

Also she takes these pills today she says not in that exceess but who knows. (she says she takes 3 a couple times a day)

Could this make the Colitus worse?

Thank you so Much for your time & help.
I think you are so right about your thoughts on what both the codeine and the tylenol can do in large amounts. It's a shame that her doctor has put on the "blinders" of denial.

It is so hard for you, as her daughter, to see the truth, and not have your mother want to accept the truth -- that without it being her fault, she became an addict to the painkiller, and is now the victim of its multiple bad side effects!

Maybe you could talk to her doctor yourself, and bring him to his senses. Bring a magnified copy of the "inserts" of the medication with you, so that he can READ the terrible side effects, and get over his amnesia!!

If that doc won't listen, perhaps you can find another who will, and who can advise you about what you can do, and who might be willing to talk to your mom, in person, or over the phone, about this situation.

Share your frustrations about your mother's situation with a trusted person (or persons), so you won't feel so alone, and maybe the friend(s) can also advise you, knowing your mom's personality!

I hope others who have experienced this can give you some advice on what to do now! Good luck to you!!

Sincerely,
Concerned lady

***@****
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

My mother has taken codeine for years because it was the prescribed medication when she was diagnosed with IBS.  She took at least one pill a day, possibly two, but only what was prescribed.  She has never had any sort of colitis problems due to the codeine so perhaps the doctors are right.  Of course if she is abusing them who knows what could happen.