Disaster Preparedness Community
Anti-bacterial soaps & other questions

Anti-bacterial soaps & other questions

First of all, a thank you for this forum. Very interesting forum, indeed.

First of all, after years...I have come to the conclusion to use ordinary soap in place of anti-bacterial soap, in my home.

What are your thoughts towards anti-bacterial soap within the home?

Living in a small community, one that is quite "social"...it seems that folks here frequently get sick. Unfortunately, some chronically ill people have died from "simple" viruses. While this can be expected, I can't help but wonder how much could be prevented if people took responsibility in keeping out of the public way, when ill and hospitals etc. were very diligent about keeping the setting sanitized.

It also seems to me, that when people are sick, don't seem to care to expose others: going to work, the store etc. This bothers me. Should we not all feel responsible, to keep out of the public when we are ill? Shouldn't employers care more?
In working in a medical clinic, I was happy to find that when I became sick...they told me to not bother coming to work. In the blue collar field, I found employers rather critical and unless you were seriously ill, expected to show up to work.

3) Why don't stores offer a disinfectant wipe near their shopping carts? I am of the mind that many germs must exist on shopping cart handles.

Cont...
4) Why are not schools more diligent about keeping desk-tops etc. clean?

It seems to me that we are complacent when it comes to cleanliness in public settings. I would think with such things as the pandemic flu being considered on the horizon, that we'd be more diligent about keeping clean and promoting it.

Is there a good article about these subjects, that would be worth sharing with our local newspaper?
Interesting. I have never heard of this soap, until now.

>There is some arguement that generalized use of soaps containing anti-bacterial agents onoly serve to creat strains of resistant bacteria, and that ordinary soaps serve just as well.<

This is what I have read, for quite some time.

As for my hand washing, I turn on very warm water and lather up well with regular soap.

Whilst I worked in a restaurant, they resorted to cleaning counter tops with bleach water. Commercial fisherman do the same and use Joy soap on the decks.

There are many theories as to why soaps are effective against bacteria. Ordinary soap helps to destroy "biofilms" where bacteria breed. Bacteria often have a "waxy" coating, which can be destroyed by ordinary soap under certain conditions. At one time there was a really effectiver anti-bacterial soap brand name "Phisohex", however the FDA banned civilian sales after parents inapproprietly used the soap on babies, and at least one fatality allegedly occurred. There is some arguement that generalized use of soaps containing anti-bacterial agents onoly serve to creat strains of resistant bacteria, and that ordinary soaps serve just as well. One of the best ways to disinfect is no longer available. In the nation of Georgia, until 1989, "phage" soaps were manufactured for the Soviet army, as well as phage pills for intestinal disorders. Phages attack and kill bacteria. With the disolution of the Soviet Union, the plants shut down and the destruction of the phage industry is a sad and unhappy story.
"I can tell you that longer is better, and scrubbing your nails/cuticles with your palms, or better yet a brush. It's very difficult to get the dirt from the crevices of skin and cuticle."

In reading this and your pp presentation, didn't know about using your palms to scrub. Thank you for the information, I will put it to practice.

"As important as getting your hands clean, is to stop touching your face with your hands. I'm a prime example of having bad habits of rubbing my chin or the area over my lips!"

I battled with that for years, got over it and picked it up again. Sigh, time to try to retrain myself again. It also tends to cause break-outs. 8-/
Yes, warm water and 15 seconds of scrubbing all surfaces is the red cross guidance.

I can tell you that longer is better, and scrubbing your nails/cuticles with your palms, or better yet a brush.  It's very difficult to get the dirt from the crevices of skin and cuticle.

I haven't read any studies supporting anti-bacterial soap as decreasing rates of infection in the general public.

As important as getting your hands clean, is to stop touching your face with your hands.  I'm a prime example of having bad habits of rubbing my chin or the area over my lips!
If you can believe it, i'm still breaking out since i picked it up again too.  Retraining's tough.

You're right, a lot is not in the ppt, since I say stuff while the slide is up.  That's why I posted all of the q&a's, which is much of what I say in person with the ppt.
Oh, I believe it...I'm in the same boat. lol

Indeed, retraining is very difficult. I have a "problem" in that my hands always have to be busy. If they are not occupied with work, eating, drinking...they "fiddle." It seems that some people are just "wired" this way.

Restless hand syndrome! lmbo

I have a drum-set that is in need of being set-up...sure my hands will find pleasure there...though don't know if my neighbors ears will be in agreement with my hands. ;-D
Hearing damage is a real problem for band members.  Earplugs help a lot!