Disaster Preparedness Community
Socks for an Emergency

Socks for an Emergency

Keeping your feet dry and healthly are a priority.

In business and life we tend to flavor colored socks. Nice for a fashion statement

For camping or survival purposes the appropriate sock is the plain white fluffy athletic sock.

There are very inexpensive, for one thing.

Secondly, if there are several adults they can be washed together. You don't get into problems with figuring out whose sock belongs to who. You hand in three pairs. You get back three pairs. It's a bit easier if everyone wears the same type of sock.

Because they are white, they can be washed using a small amount of bleach, which will kill bacteria. Plus the colors won't bleed into the wash, ruining other people's clothing. You may end up with a community wash situation.

If your feet and socks get wet, take your shoes off and let everything dry (unless you are going to continue wading in water). Wet feet in shoes can cause what they called "trench foot" in the first world war.

Your feet are the means to survive.

If there is any chance you will have to wade, keep a pair of spare socks in your dry pocket.

If you have to wade, take your shoes off, but leave one pair of socks on to prevent your foot from contacting debri. Hang the shoes around your neck with the laces. When you get to the other side of the wading area, remove the wet socks, dry your feet, and put the dry socks (and shoes) back on. I am not a happy camper with wading in bare-foot, unless you know what the surface is. In a flood, all sorts of things get washed down a street.

If you can't wash socks, invert them and air-wash them by hanging them in sunlight.

After making this post, I was confronted by a friend with extensive survival training who recommended some expensive specialty socks.  One can search the internet and find them. Or inside a store specializing in camping. For a lone individual, hiking or exploring there may be better choices, with special fabrics and weaves.

I wrote my recommendations for the average family preparing for a disaster. I wanted socks that everyone could wear and that could be discarded without worrying about the cost. Socks that could be washed communely, if necessary.

The plain white cotton socks are inexpensive for starters.

Wool socks are nice to have but the moths will get at them, and when you get them out of the closet you will have debris.

And I didn't get into the virtue of wearing double-socks under certain circumstances. In very cold weather, or when ice-skating, for example.

In an emergency socks can be turned into "mini-mocasins" by using duct-tape to attach a leather sole. Another use for the magical duct-tape.