Disaster Preparedness Community
The fungus in Joplin

The fungus in Joplin

I have done volunteer work in Joplin twice now, once on memorial day weekend, and once today.  Neither time was I in the disaster zone but we did drive through it to get to where we were going both times, should I be concerned at all about the fungus?  I read that it can be inhaled, is it possible that any of the spores are floating in the air and could have been inhaled?  I see that they have issued a warning in the joplin area to be weary of cuts and scrapes.  
Tags: fungus, joplin, cut
I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are only concerned with the people working at the main disaster areas. They have not said anything about worries to the residents or visitors just the workers clearing the debris. The people working in the areas are encouraged to wear mask and gloves because they are in direct contact with it. Thank you for your help. It will be a while before things return to normal but without people like you it would not be possible.

Sissie