What can I do to prepare my own home for pandemic flu?
There are so many different recommendations out there about what to stock up on at home, what do I really need?
GREAT question and one in which I would like to see suggestions in. Food, supplies, storage recommendations and medicine (OTC).

Off-side, I have to ask, what do you think of "nartural remedies?" I know that many people have turned towards the cupboard (so-to-speak) in regards to medicine.
Personally, I have mixed feelings and would say, that I approach if from the middle of the road.
I'm neither gung-ho nor debunk everything in regards to that subject.

~Kate
Kate,
Garlic is natures antibiotic, or so I've heard.  I keep tons on hand.  Not necessarily for a pandemic, but its a good, healthy thing to keep in your supplies.    
This is what I understand as well. In this home, garlic is a main seasoning in our food. We have plenty of it in this home.
We LOVE garlic. Without it, our taste buds would feel short-changed. lol

I did read that it can be a trigger for those suffering GERD.

I have heard good reports about oil of Oregano, too. Think to give it a shot.

~Kate
i'll be getting to some specific suggestions for pandemoic flu supplies here soon...  in the meanwhile, you'll have to have a chuckle at my expense that my wife and kids wouldn't come near me today after I too-heartily enjoyed some garlic fries last night.  Don't know if it's an antibiotic, but sure is tasty.  Don't know about GERD but it sure gives me gas.  Oregano's tasty too!
Regular garlic used for cooking it very tasty, but in supplement form should be used with caution as it is known to have blood thinning properties. In fact, for those who are pregnant, avoiding any supplemtn that starts witha "G" is recommended.

Sorry just had to toss that out there! Boy howdy, when I eat garlic or onions, I not only feel like I sweat it out, but it is overwhelming in my breastmilk. I sure hope my baby appreciates my sacrifice, I am a garlic lover but aoid it while breastfeeding to spare his belly and tastebuds!!
I don't take the supplements.
You might as well be taking it as much as you eat!!
As Outreach Coordinator for the City of Annapolis, Office of Emergency Management, it's my job to do the research to find out what supplies work best for the least amount of money and effort to maintain.

One surprising food storage idea I discovered:

1) Canned foods last 1-2 years and must be rotated.
2) Dried and dehydrated foods last 3-5 years.
3) FREEZE-Dried foods in the #10 cans last 20-30 years!

So, I suggest you look into stocking up on those freeze-dried foods in the #10 cans.  The best place (& least expensive) that I've found is Emergency Essentials http://beprepared.com/Default.asp? Be sure to have plenty of water on hand to re-hydrate when necessary.

Get yourselves a "NanoMask."  It is the best "barrier" mask we have on the market today which has been tested to stop .027 microns.  Google it.

I have developed an EP presentation which details how to prepare which I've given throughout this region.  I will be giving this workshop at the upcoming "Severe Storms Awareness" conference in April.  It is available on the City of Annapolis' website as an Adobe PDF (http://www.annapolis.gov/info.asp?page=10270).  It does not contain the slides of my own home & car preparations, as I've added these recently.

I've also developed the "Crisis Checklist" which is freely available on my website: www.organizingmadesimple.com

One last thing... store enough food and water to last AT LEAST a few months.  Studies tell us that the pandemic flu will come in "waves."
Do a "google" or "yahoo" on cures for the Spanish Influenza, c.1918, AMA & use of h2o2 injections. (Hydrogen Peroxide was found to reduce the fatality rate by approx. 30%)
Now Iodine, 1 inch of soil and Nuclear Radiation, that's something else to look up.
Lawn-mower engines, electric motors, solar cells: a bunch of self-preparedness stuff!
"The sky is falling!"