Disaster Preparedness Community
Why won't I be able to get help from my usual healthcare providers...

Why won't I be able to get help from my usual healthcare providers?

I've gotten great care from my family doc, my primary care provider.  Won't they be able to help me?  I love my local hospital, why can't I go there for care?  I figure I'd be able to get help from the folks who've always helped me in the past, won't they have prepared for something like this?  Can't they call in more workers -- more doctors, nurses and staff?
"Even if you can get through to them, do you really want to go to a place where people who possibly have pandemic flu are going to get care? Wouldn't it be better to be prevent getting it in the first place, or to care for milder symptoms at home since you'll want to avoid clinics as well as public places?"

I totally agree with this, flu or not. It's better to stay away from sick "bays".

I worked in pharmacy, in a clinic, for a short period and I frequently (all throughout the day) disinfected the counter. My boss, the Pharmacist said I was the cleanest Tech. he knew. lol For the sake of patients and staff...you better believe it.
I was also very dilegent about washing my hands. An excellent habbit to get into.

OT but when I am sick and need to be seen at the clinic, I make sure I have child sitters as I certainly will not bring in my healthy kids into a place where there are sick people. The same applies to me, save for visiting patients (which is rare, thankfully).

2 1/2 years ago, I gave birth to my son in a small hospital.
It wasn't long after delivery, that a person was admitted with the Norwalk virus (though, didn't know it at the time.)
Feeling quite well and having a healthy son, I asked to be released. In light of the situation, the doctor agreed. In fact, it was something she wanted to inform and suggest to me just before I asked to be released.

If you can avoid being around the ill, with transmittable illness...by all means, stay away.

"Wow, I'd love for you to be a tech at our pharmacy, even if for a short time, to inspire ours to your level of fastidiousness."

If I lived in that area, I'd be more than happy to take you up on that offer. If only to offer cleaning services. ;-)

I think using the imagination, really thinking about it and caring enough...will cause a person to take better care in this area. If they do this, it should be noted and commended. Hopefully, they will take pride and continue with the habit.  

Aside from oral/nasal secretions...the hands and where they may have been (uck), got me into the habit of being very clean.
I think it first began while working in a restaurant. I was the dishwasher/prep cook. Kept all my areas clean, including mopping the entire restaurant.
People were looking for a good meal, not some "bug."
After this job, I became Pharmacy Tech. My sister was the house-keeper and so, between the two of us-the clinic was kept well cleaned. ;-D
Being a patient and being a customer myself, it's something I feel strongly about.

Like anything, this can become a [good] habit. One that I think should be encouraged, far better than it currently is.

Wow, I'd love for you to be a tech at our pharmacy, even if for a short time, to inspire ours to your level of fastidiousness.

Great point about minimizing your contact with sick, if you can.  You can express concern and comfort them over the phone or by email...  or videoconference...
Absolutely.

That's why prevention and healthy habits are so important.  You may not know who has contracted pandemic flu, but you can practice good habits and reduce your risk of getting it.