Divorce & Breakups Community
Husband addicted to pain meds - need advice
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Husband addicted to pain meds - need advice

My husband was prescribed pain medicine for a lower back pain for the first time 3 years ago. Since then it has been a rollercoaster of the typical prescription pain addict. He was initially prescribed 100 valium, and 100 Lortab. Then after a few months of that, he lowered dose to Lorcet because he was using too much Lortab. Then the Doc gave him MS Cotin, which he was on for 4 months without my knowledge. I found out by receiving a quaterly update from our insurance company. I knew he was taking more meds than prescribed so I called his doctor. His doctor wouldn't prescribe anymore to him, so he went to our long time family doctor. Who does do liver tests, but prescribes him Lorcet, and now Norcor and Ultram. However, he doubles what is recommended to take. He lies to me about how many he takes, and will tell me he hasn't gone to doc and wants to get off and then go pawn his amplifier to go to doc behind my back and get medicine. He hides his medicine in or around the house and this past week I asked him how he was doing and he would tell me, "about 3-4 pills a day" finally I told him I wanted him to get me his bottle and let me count to see where he is at, which he let me do, and he is actually averaging about 10 each day. He is grumpy and emotional. We have been married almost 12 years and have a 9 and 11 yr old sons. I am so tired of the lies. he used to be addicted to cocaine and overcame that only to have 3 months clean before getting a prescription for these meds. The lying is so hard. I am a Christian and I keep forgiving him, but I feel like if he never has a consequence that he will never change. It is so frustrating living this life with him and breaks my heart to see him battle this, but I don't see an end.

We are only 33 (about to be 34) we married in 11/97 because we found out that we were pregnant. He has left about 5 times throughout the marriage. (few times in 98 because "he didn't love me", then in 2002 b/c he cheated on me and I made him leave, then in 2004 because of drug addiction) only for a few weeks at the most.  We started seening a marriage counseling couple 2 weeks ago. Except for his addiction problems we have not had too many problems, except those that are caused through his drug/addiction issues. The kids have been very protected from all of this and part of me thinks if I can just hang in there and deal with it for 8 more years then at least the kids will be grown and won't have to be let down. I don't know. I know I can handle it, but think that if he doesn't change then eventually we will not be able to hide it from our boys. However, part of me would love to have a normal marriage, but being a CHristian I feel like I need to keep offering forgiveness and accept things as they are and support im the best I can. It's just so hard.

Oh, our home is in Foreclosure as well, and  we are in horrible financial situation. Our income was decreased from about 85K each year to 40K because of new home market in FL, he built homes and now had to take a job earning 2/3 less than before. He has had 3 layoffs in last 2 years. Please feel free to ask any more questions to help offer advice.
Tags: addicted, pain meds, husband, children, years, seperation, Christian