Divorce & Breakups Community
Husband addicted to pain meds - need advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

My husband was prescribed pain medicine for a lower back pain for the first time 3 years ago. Since then it has been a rollercoaster of the typical prescription pain addict. He was initially prescribed 100 valium, and 100 Lortab. Then after a few months of that, he lowered dose to Lorcet because he was using too much Lortab. Then the Doc gave him MS Cotin, which he was on for 4 months without my knowledge. I found out by receiving a quaterly update from our insurance company. I knew he was taking more meds than prescribed so I called his doctor. His doctor wouldn't prescribe anymore to him, so he went to our long time family doctor. Who does do liver tests, but prescribes him Lorcet, and now Norcor and Ultram. However, he doubles what is recommended to take. He lies to me about how many he takes, and will tell me he hasn't gone to doc and wants to get off and then go pawn his amplifier to go to doc behind my back and get medicine. He hides his medicine in or around the house and this past week I asked him how he was doing and he would tell me, "about 3-4 pills a day" finally I told him I wanted him to get me his bottle and let me count to see where he is at, which he let me do, and he is actually averaging about 10 each day. He is grumpy and emotional. We have been married almost 12 years and have a 9 and 11 yr old sons. I am so tired of the lies. he used to be addicted to cocaine and overcame that only to have 3 months clean before getting a prescription for these meds. The lying is so hard. I am a Christian and I keep forgiving him, but I feel like if he never has a consequence that he will never change. It is so frustrating living this life with him and breaks my heart to see him battle this, but I don't see an end.

We are only 33 (about to be 34) we married in 11/97 because we found out that we were pregnant. He has left about 5 times throughout the marriage. (few times in 98 because "he didn't love me", then in 2002 b/c he cheated on me and I made him leave, then in 2004 because of drug addiction) only for a few weeks at the most.  We started seening a marriage counseling couple 2 weeks ago. Except for his addiction problems we have not had too many problems, except those that are caused through his drug/addiction issues. The kids have been very protected from all of this and part of me thinks if I can just hang in there and deal with it for 8 more years then at least the kids will be grown and won't have to be let down. I don't know. I know I can handle it, but think that if he doesn't change then eventually we will not be able to hide it from our boys. However, part of me would love to have a normal marriage, but being a CHristian I feel like I need to keep offering forgiveness and accept things as they are and support im the best I can. It's just so hard.

Oh, our home is in Foreclosure as well, and  we are in horrible financial situation. Our income was decreased from about 85K each year to 40K because of new home market in FL, he built homes and now had to take a job earning 2/3 less than before. He has had 3 layoffs in last 2 years. Please feel free to ask any more questions to help offer advice.
Tags: addicted, pain meds, husband, children, years, seperation, Christian
Have you noticed that doctors dont cure anything anymore? You go to the doctor, he gives you a script and a referral and a date to come back for a recheck. The referred dr then sees you, gives you another script and maybe a few tests and tells you to come back.  In the interim, maybe you get a tooth ache. You go to the dentist, he gives you a date for an oral cleaning, a script for the pain and a date to come back. Then when they all manage to get you hooked, they bow out and leave you to someone else to pull out of it, their job is done.

What happened to, First do no harm?
When healthcare and doctors cared more about the person than the money they get from seeing them, we no longer have quality healthcare, just quantity.

My son is going thru the same thing. His wife died last year as a result of an od, leaving 5 children behing for daddy to raise.

Daddy worked round the clock to be able to raise those kids and pay for daycare, etc.
Then he experiences a herniated and ruptured disc.
Now he is off work, on welfare, wc claim, on morphine, lortab, in pt, goes back in 30 days and at that time they will re evaluate.

We all know at the end of 30 days on these drugs, he will be addicted to em!! Hello!

My heart goes out to you, I simply do not know what the answer is anymore!