Divorce & Breakups Community
Sister in law butting in

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

Sister in law butting in

O.k., so I have a bit of a problem here.  My wife and I have been separated for two months now.  I found out that she was trying to get a hold of one of her co-workers and she constantly sent him messages through facebook and at one point, borrowed money from the guy.  Like any other person would, I got furious and decided to take some time off from her for doing this.

When I left, I made it clear the I wanted nothing to do with her after I asked around her work about her wanting to get with her co-worker and to my misfortune, she had been after him since mid last year.  She also asked for his phone number and for his home addreas.

I confronted her about this and all she could say was that her female co-worker was the one who wanted to get with the male co-worker.  Well, I asked my wife to bring her female co-worker so we could clear thia up but my wife refused.  I went and asked my wife's female co-worker and she was oblivious to the whole situation and was quite upset that my wife brought her in to this mess.

Well, to make it short, I tried to work things out with my wife but her sister sent me messages and left me a voice mail where she says that my wife doesn't want me any more and that I was a loser that never care for her (my wife).

Is there any way I can sue my wife's sister for interfering?  I know my wife wanted to work things out but her sister doesn't allow my wife to have any communication with me once so ever.

I know for a fact that my wife's sister is the one who benefits from our seperation since my wife helps her with rent, car insurence, and other bills like that.

Also, when my wife took all my stuff out, her sister took out alot of my working tools and she convinced my wife to take out all of our savings from the bank but sadly, I allowed my wife to put the savings in her name.  I told my wife that if we aren't getting back, then I want half of our savings that we had and guess what?  Her sister said if I wanted half that my wife would take me to court and sue me for marital abandonment.  Who is that since my wife's sister was the one that told me that my wife didn't want nothing to do with me and that I was the one who walked out on her.

Any advice would be very appreciatd.  Thanks.
Hi there and welcome.  So sorry you are going through this as it sounds like you are very hurt by this situation and that is understandable!

So, to answer a few of your questions----  first, NO.  You can't sue your sister in law.  She did nothing illegal by giving  your wife advice on her marriage.  She was tacky to contact you and say your wife didn't want to get back together but this also isn't illegal.  So, there is no lawsuit here.

I'm not sure why your wife values her sister's input so much but that is what it is.  She just does.  Or, these really were her own thoughts all along and her sister was being truthful with you.  Either way, that again, is what it is.  It hurts.  I'm sorry.

As to the bank account.  Well, your sister in law doesn't sound like the brightest bulb so it is doubtful she is fully aware how things will stack up in court.  I would consider getting an attorney and trying to get your tools back or compensated for them as well as savings and assets that were jointly held (whether both names or just one were on it or not).  

I would think you could try one last attempt to reconcile with your wife if you so desire.  Person to person is best and you can just be honest that you'd like to try and work it out and if she (SHE . . .   regardless of what anyone else says in her life) wants to try, that you are willing to.  But remember, you caught her attempting to have an affair (if I read things correctly.).  Are you sure you want to work it out?  
Thanks for the wonderful advice!  Too bad I can't do any thing to the sister but you are right about my wife valuing her sister's opinion over any thing else.  Thing is, my wife and her sister grew up alone most of their lives with her sister taking some what care of her as kids.  

You're right though, why try to fix things with some one who tried to do other things while married and from what old co-workers of mine said, my wife has been going to parties, dance clubs, and bars.  I could feel her pain now.

Thanks again for the advice!