Divorce & Breakups Community
Teen going through divorce.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

Teen going through divorce.

I'm 15, and my parents have been together for 24 years. They filed for divorce December 1st, but they only told me and my brother 2 weeks ago. I'm suprisingly doing very well, and that worries me... On Valentinesday, my parents anniversary, I went and looked at houses with my dad and furniture for his new place... That upset me, but still not as much as I would think. Occasionally I'll break down and start crying, but all my friends are always like how are u smiling? and I can't explain it...but it's getting harder...Can anyone give me some support?
Oh I am so sorry sweetheart. I hope u don't mind me calling you that but I have a 14 year old daughter whose pictures you can see on my page and I have been married for 22 years. I am on the same journey as your parents sadly and looked at my first apartment today and it was tough. Just remember one thing, this is NOT your fault and I'm sure both your parents love you with all theire hearts just as I do for all three of my kids. I would give my very life for them in an instant. But you see sometimes Mum's and
Dad's are better people for being apart, I know that's the case for us and I want us both to be better parents for our kids. You see to me, change is what happens when the pain of holding on is greater the fear of letting go and starting over if that makes sense to you? It's exactly where I am at currently.
I wish you all the very best.
Well Penguin,
It's possible that the suddenness and the reality of your parents splitting up hasn't quite sunk in yet. After all, you only found out about this 2 weeks ago. And, some people do go through a delayed reaction when they receive bad news. It's kinda like being in shock. Some people cry... some people appear to be numb... and, yes... some people will smile and appear happy... on the outside, when they're really hurting and crying on the inside.
We all handle stress and life's disappointments in different ways. And, maybe right now, showing the happy, smiling face is your way of handling your emotions. That's perfectly normal. What your friends might not understand is that... just because someone is smiling doesn't mean that person is happy. Smiling and being happy aren't the same thing... but, it's easy to confuse the two.
Now, have you been able to talk to your mom and dad about the divorce? Because it's important for them to know exactly how you feel. And, what about your brother? How's he taking all of this? Is he someone that you can talk to?
I love my brother so very much. And I can talk to him...I'm just having trouble talking to anyone about this...
And I feel fake at skool acting like everythings alrite wen its not
Do you have a school counselor you could speak with or a teacher that you may be close to?  Have you talked to your parents about how you're feeling?  You need someone that you can vent to.
I try to talk to my friends about it... im working through it... its just a long progress...
just keep close to some friends. Talk talk talk. Also remember ur mom and dad both love you and usally a divorce has nothing to do with the parents love for their kids. I know its tough but u can make it. And Depending on how bad the marriage had gotten your parents may be more happy now. And you'll get presents form both now at christmas and birthdays.