Divorce & Breakups Community
anxious

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

anxious

I had inadvertently learned that my ex-wife grandmother unveiling was today - she was 99 when she died and she loved me very much. I calmy called my wife and asked if she would rather me not attend. She said yes, I said I would respect her wishes.  She later left a message saying how much her grandmother cared about me and the many things I did for her and that i should come. I am nervous because I have not seen her family for almost a year. they tend to be judgemental and they will be looking at me thru a microscope. I am sorry that I called now - I should have seen her on my own in retrospect, but my kids are going so i will have them there. they know our divorce was mainly due to my drinking and I want to hold my head up high but do have some shame.  need strentgh
-10 Comments Post a Comment
Whether this will be easy?  No!

Do I think you should do it? Yes very much so.  You have kids and in this case there was love and respect that included your children, you, and the grandma.

This is something that will make you uncomfortable, will not be easy, but should be done just to spread a little sanity.

Personally of my ex-inlaws the only one that I will not probably send a smiley face floral arrangement to will be the great grandmother but that is because after I was involved with my ex I found out the family was riddled with child molestation, fraud, embezzlement, alcoholism, incest, drug use even though on the surface it looked like a normal family, once you learned all of their secrets it was like a cross between the Kennedys (the political family) and the Squidbillies.

Value sanity, caring and compassion when you can find it. And show your children that it is to be valued when found, cause god knows it will be rare enough in America before you find it again
thanks - i needed to hear that
I hope you went.  The unveiling is to show respect for youe ex-wife's grandmother, who cared about you and whom you cared about.

My soon to be ex and his family were at my parents' unveiling last week - sure it was tough, but they cared about my parents.  

That is what should be important.
your right - glad i went and held my head up