Divorce & Breakups Community
divorce.....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

divorce.....

I was married for three years to the man I thought was my dream man. Over the years he slipped heavily into heroine addiction. Our problems started 3 months into our marriage when he got upset that I sent a message to a friend saying I got married the whole conversation between the friend and I consisted of me saying I got married and he said congratulations and he was happy for me. When my husband found that he was connvinced I was cheating and interrogated me (literally) for two days. I wasn't allowed to sleep or eat while he pounded me with questions it finally got to the point that I confessed to things I never did just to make it stop. I know I should have left then but I was pregnant. After that we were doing good but I slowly realized he was controlling where I went when and with who. I finally left but not before he slit his wrist in front of me our two year old and my. 7 year old daughter.  I have a protection from abuse order but I'm worried about what will happen when that runs out. I'm pregnant again and my biggest fear is him seeing my son and exposing my son to his crazy. Or my son seeing how my ex treats women. I have very little money and can't afford a lawyer so haven't filed for divorce because the custody part will override the pfa protecting my son. I really just don't know what options I have
Call the nearest law school and ask them if they have a legal clinic that helps low-income women get legal assistance.  Most do.  It's free.  Getting a divorce is the biggest of your issues but not your most immediate, you need to be sure your restraining orders stay current.  They can help you with that also.
AnnieBrooke gives You excellent advice.  Spousal abuse is a serious concern in all states and they WILL provide You with whatever services You need to protect YourSelf and Your Children.
Good Luck
There are attorneys that will provide free services in your area. In some cities it's called legal aid, but it may be different where you live.  Google "free attorney help" in your city and go from there.  You, nor your children should be around this man and no court will allow it to happen.  He's not a positive role model and the courts will not want the children to be around a drug addict.  The laws are on your side with the children.  Call Social Services and they can help you get the ball rolling with everything you need.  I am sorry for all you're enduring but you will survive this along with your children and will emerge a stronger and wiser woman for it.  Call Social Services before you do anything because they know how to put you in touch with the proper agencies.  I wish you all the best and big hugs to you.