Divorce & Breakups Community
husband isnt babys father

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

husband isnt babys father

I was at a party, the rest im sure yoy know. my now husband was in a different state at boot camp. we were not in a relationship with each other. this was in march then I.found out I was pregnant. we got married in july. he cheated. he only married me to get a bigger paycheck. now im filing for divorce and camt afford an attorney because he controls all the money. im trying to help make sure he isnt named the father because neither of us want that. but he refuses to talk to me without being an ***.  any advice?
Call your nearest law school and see if they have a clinic that helps low-income clients, most of them do.  You can get free help for the divorce.  Don't go it alone, if you can get an attorney (or a law student working under the supervision of an attorney) you absolutely should.
I will have to try that. I stuck myself in a messy situation.
Hi there.  So sorry you are going through this.  yes, lots of issues in a short amount of time.  I'm sad that you will be on your own now with a baby but plenty of women do this and are fine.  I would think about how you are going to support yourself and the baby and what your plans are.  do you have parents that can help you?  
I have family that im now living with thats helping me alot. I plan on taking.my cna class in a few weeks so I can start working after my son arrives. I just dont want to lose my son to a man tgat 1 isnt his father and 2 would only take him to hurt me, not because he wants to claim him. our law system I hope will look at the fact the child isnt his and he never claimed it as his and not appoint him as father
If you are in the U.S. and get your divorce before the baby is born, the law will not automatically assume your husband is the father.  Don't sit around, get going to a lawyer and see what is the fastest divorce you can get.
And that should include things like going to Reno.  I've heard you can get a REALLY fast divorce in Nevada.
Anniebrooke always gives critical advice in these situations.  She knows her stuff.  I feel like a paternity test would solve the problem of a man that tries to take a child that isn't his biologically.  

I'm sorry it is hard.  best of luck to you dear
I  filed the papers.  the lady told me when I filed that it depends on the judge abs his mood that day.  hopefully he is in a good mood lol
Good luck.  Post again if you run into hitches.
ps -- I can't really imagine your soon-to-be ex would want to claim the baby just to be spiteful; raising a baby is too much work.  But if he did, as specialmom says, it would only take a DNA test to knock that claim off the table.  The law in the United States does assume that a baby born to a woman who is married, is the child of the man she is married to.  But the presumption of paternity is not so ironclad that it could not be refuted with a DNA test.  So don't worry, and also don't buy trouble, he probably isn't planning on going there in the first place.  But even if he did it would not be too much of a problem to stop that approach; you'd just have the judge order him to take a DNA test.