Divorce & Breakups Community
i dont know what to tell her
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to divorce, breakups, anger, child custody, child support, conflict resolution, co-parenting, dating, depression, friends and family, legal, pets, property issues, remarriage, spousal support, and visitation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

i dont know what to tell her

long story short: i left and divorced my ex husband because he was emotionally and physically abusive. he doesnt bother calling, visiting, or paying his child support, i left when my daughter was merely a year old.....she doesnt remember him now (at 2.5)
i have (using my own money and means) taken her THE WHOLE WAY to see him once, he was extremely offended when she didnt remember him and blew her off the rest of the visit....i wont do that to her again just to try and let her know him, obviously forcing it doesnt work

as you know, most childrens shows have a two-parent household.....lately she has been saying the word daddy in her babble and play, when we are doodling, asks me to draw a daddy, and has recently started asking where her daddy is.....

i have been changing the subject, but thats not gonna work much longer....
at the moment, shes too young to understand the logic, and i was thinking about just saying daddy lives far away
i know that when she is old enough to understand, i will tell her the truth, and not tell opinions....i dont **** talk her dad in front of her if at all, and i dont want her to base her opinion of him solely on what happened...i want her to be able to choose if she wants to meet him, but also know about the abuse without the abuse stories making her hate him cuz im gonna give benefit of doubt and say he doesnt end up like that with her
i also dont want her to hate me for taking her away from him, etc when she does get to know him.....and say she does like him, and he lies to her about it all....how am i supposed to know she will in her heart know the truth???

i just dont know what to do and didnt know who else to vent to......thinking about posting in other forums as well for as much advice as possible...
Blank
973741_tn?1342346373
Well, she may but she is now 2.  You'll always have to be careful with this man and I think that even if she is 16, you'll have to worry about their time together.  Even if she is 18.  Even if she is 100.  He's a violent, abusive man, right?  

I don't think we have to "bash" our ex but being honest with our kids at some point is probably essential when it involves their own safety.  

You aren't there yet---------  she's still little.  But he became less of a man the moment he put his hands on you.  I think the lesson your daughter learns is that SHE doesn't have to take the abuse of a man by the example you have set.  That is a powerful teaching moment when she is a young woman.  

I hear that you are hurting over her not having a dad.  And the reason why I say she doesn't really have a dad is because of his efforts with her . . . or lack of.  

I have two moms I know that divorced early on from their kids dad and the dad made no effort for years.  The kids got a little older and THEN the dad wanted to come around on HIS terms.  They hadn't done much of anything for the kids leading up to this-------  how did those kids feel?  Like their mom and the people consistently in their life are what is important and not this stranger.  The life these kids know and the 'parents' they have are the ones that have been around all along.  

So, work on good male role models for her life and feel confident that you've done the right thing to protect yourself AND her.  You are a strong woman and she will know that when you tell her the full story some day.  goodl uck