Dogs Community
10 month old Yorkie pup coughing-PLEASE HELP!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

sorry theres a lot to read!
My 10 month old Yorkie pup has been acting strange for the past 2 days. My dad took her to get spayed about 2 weeks ago, and this past Saturday we took her on a 3 hour trip with us to go visit my grandma. Later on Sunday evening, when we arrived back home, my pup Tedi began coughing. Not frequently but once every few minutes. Awhile later around bedtime she settled down and kind of seem depressed, which isnt like her because she's usually in a playful mood from morning to bedtime. My dad and I just thought she was tired or she missed my grandma. But the next day she was still coughing, and also later at night she settled down and was acting like she wasnt feeling good. My dad thinks she has a cold, but I'm getting worried. Are these signs of some kind of illness or am I just over-reacting to her reaction of allergies or something? Please help and thank you!
Tags: help, 10 month old, Coughing, yorkie, puppy, feeling ill?

Some reasons for coughing:

First, Heart Disease- With Heart Disease, the weak heart cannot pump as well...Fluid builds into the lungs causing the cough..The cough is usually MOIST like they're choking on congestion...Actually, they are...The cough is worse in the mornings & during periods of running, playing & excitement....Fluid will show in an xray.....

Next- Kennel Cough- This is a virus and antibiotics will do nothing.....Cough syrup is very necessary to help this run it's course.....Lasts a few weeks & the cough is excessive!!!!

Collapsing Trachea- Common in small breeds- This cough is more like choke-gasp, choke/gasp....It sounds like a goose honking....Meaning like when your sucking through a straw & it collapses. Like it kinda sticks then opens, etc. It is actually doing just that.....The trachea collapses then opens back up...This ailment is treated by weight control & Medications for lung disease....Cough meds, bronchial dilaters, Asthma meds., steroids when necessary, etc.

Respiratory Diseases cause coughing....Asthma & Bronchitis are treated with the same meds as Trachea Collapse. This is more of a dry cough with wheezing at times or both....With this, sometimes the Heart shows enlargement,but it is not a Heart Problem! It's from lack of oxygen through the respiratory system.....Steriods are useful as needed for allergy season that can be a trigger.....Dust mites in the house affect this alot (Especially in the winter when the heat is on and the house is closed up tight).......It seems they breath better outside.....Something else: Dust Mites in DRY dog food alone can trigger this.....This disease can be controled for years once you know what to do.....

There's a common cough called A "Reverse Sneeze"...You can google it to know what it sounds like.....I can't describe it....It kinda sounds like all the above, dammit!!!  ;)  Although it sounds awful, it's really harmless.....Lots of dogs do it their whole life...

Then of course, Heartworm Disease will cause a cough....ALso will show an enlarged heart....Will be seen on an xray....Can be ruled out with a blood test...

Also, Allergies can & will trigger a cough.....

All of these can be evaluated by a Vet...Good luck, Karla

Some reasons for coughing:

Great post, Karla. Can't add to that!!  
Thank you so much! this really helped! :)
Your Welcome.....Come back if you need more help....Karla