Dogs Community
10yr old Sheltie who doesn't eat, lost ability to use legs...WHY!?...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

10yr old Sheltie who doesn't eat, lost ability to use legs...WHY!?!?!

I have a 10 yr old sheltie who about 2 mo ago stopped eating normally (has lost half her body weight as a result).  She also gradually lost use of her back legs over a period of about 2 weeks.  I have had her tested for EVERYTHING under the sun and had blood testing, x-rays and and MRI done...all the tests have come back NORMAL.  The only thing strange is elevated liver enzymes (but the vet tells me that could happen from not eating for so long).  I've spent over $5,000 on tests and medications and in the end the vet told me they are baffled by her condition...they have no idea what's going on.  This past week I had someone come and start accupuncture treatments on her, she's had one treatment and did perk up a bit afterwards, but the past 2 days she's been unable to sit up from a lying position...she tries but is unable to...which I see as progression.  Has anyone ever seen this happen?  What can I do?  She was my moms doggie and when my mom passed away from Cancer we adopted her, I feel like I need to fix her and don't want to give up on her.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Could she have a bad case of arthritis? Or have you already tested for this?
Sorry.....I realize arthritis would likely show up on an x-ray.
It is a mystery. But there HAS to be some reason!
You say her appetite loss has been going on for 2 months...Could there be some muscle wastage, or weakness as a result of some level of malnutrition I wonder?

My first instinct would be to get a second opinion, but as you have already spent so much, that all depends on how much money you have left.

You cannot know what you are dealing with, and that can be a bit scary. You don't know if the things you try will hurt or help. Does she seem to be feeling any pain? Sometimes dogs in pain will refuse to eat. If you gently but firmly feel her body all over with your hands, is there any point at which she flinches, or perhaps yelps?

If you are sure there is nothing at all pathological going on, and no pain, then I wonder how she would respond if you tried swimming her? If there is muscle weakness or wastage, she may regain a little strength this way, and the exercise (which puts little stress on joints) may help to boost her appetite??
I don't know....that is just a thought. I do hope there is some breakthrough soon.

If, at the end of all this, she still cannot walk, but is otherwise well, and nothing is definitely found to be physically wrong, then take a look at this site: www.dogstogo.com (and there are other sites like it)