Dogs Community
12 year old Doberman with a cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

12 year old Doberman with a cough

We have a Doberman who is 12 1/2 years old. For the most part he is a healthy very pampered dog. He is much larger then the average Doberman, when young and healthy he was 116 lbs.  Now that he is a old man he is about 130 lbs. He is not super active any more cause he has arthritis in his back legs which slows him down a lot. However, he does get short bouts of energy and plays with our boxer. Since Tuesday morning he has had a cough. Sounds kind of wheezy I suppose, it's so hard to describe. My innital thought was that he was choking on something. But since it has gone on the last 3 days I realize that is not the case. He is drinking fine, eating fine, going to the bathroom fine. Moving about normaly. His tounge is of a normal color, as are his gums. He doesn't have any discharge for the nose or mouth or eyes. He doesn't have a pot belly. (swollen abdominal area) he is sleeping fine and seems to be breathing normaly. He doesn't have kennel cough I know that for sure. What could this be?
Tags: 12 years old, cough, Doberman, old
Some reasons for coughing:

First, Heart Disease- With Heart Disease, the weak heart cannot pump as well...Fluid builds into the lungs causing the cough..The cough is usually MOIST like they're choking on congestion...Actually, they are...The cough is worse in the mornings & during periods of running, playing & excitement....Fluid will show in an xray.....

Next- Kennel Cough- This is a virus and antibiotics will do nothing.....Cough syrup is very necessary to help this run it's course.....Lasts a few weeks & the cough is excessive!!!!

Collapsing Trachea- Common in small breeds- This cough is more like choke-gasp, choke/gasp....It sounds like a goose honking....Meaning like when your sucking through a straw & it collapses. Like it kinda sticks then opens, etc. It is actually doing just that.....The trachea collapses then opens back up...This ailment is treated by weight control & Medications for lung disease....Cough meds, bronchial dilaters, Asthma meds., steroids when necessary, etc.

Respiratory Diseases cause coughing....Asthma & Bronchitis are treated with the same meds as Trachea Collapse. This is more of a dry cough with wheezing at times or both....With this, sometimes the Heart shows enlargement,but it is not a Heart Problem! It's from lack of oxygen through the respiratory system.....Steroids are useful as needed for allergy season that can be a trigger.....Dust mites in the house affect this alot (Especially in the winter when the heat is on and the house is closed up tight).......It seems they breath better outside.....Something else: Dust Mites in DRY dog food alone can trigger this.....This disease can be controlled for years once you know what to do.....

There's a common cough called A "Reverse Sneeze"...You can google it to know what it sounds like.....I can't describe it....It kinda sounds like all the above, dammit!!!  ;)  Although it sounds awful, it's really harmless.....Lots of dogs do it their whole life...

Then of course, Heartworm Disease will cause a cough....Also will show an enlarged heart....Will be seen on an Xray....Can be ruled out with a blood test...

Also, Allergies can & will trigger a cough.....

All of these can be evaluated by a Vet...Good luck, Karla
I found your post very useful, I have a 10 year old Doberman and he recently started coughing and breathing very heavily, the cough goes on and off but his breathing remains heavy, I can see him breathing and his body moving up and down!
He seems to be eating and he's still playful with my other Doberman. I know the thing would be to take him to the vet but he has been through a lot...4 years ago he was diagnosed with stomach cancer, which my vet now and since then has no explanation for so I am a bit weary taking him to the vet.
when he starts to cough I stop whatever I am doing and whatever he is doing and slowly pet his chest which seems to help him, maybe because I am calming him down!
any suggestions on how I can possibly help him would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
I also just noticed a percolating sound that is very faint but it's coming from his nose as he breaths!