Dogs Community
13yr old does not eat, past 3wks. Vets cant figure out

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

If anyone has advice. Our 13yr old male eskie. For almost past 4wks. Our american eskie has stopped eating dog kibble (basicaly all food) he randomly will eat a little hamburbUrger cooked (no chicken or steak, 99% everything he wont eat) does drink water. Has been taken to vet 4wks ago. Had 104 temp, given a fluid and antibiotic. Blood drawn at that time. Blood wrk normal (even fOr cushins disease & lyme) live in Ct. He has always been a healthy active dog. His walkin is a little  off. Xrays performed for spine, which vet said may cause in his age (pancreatic level a tiny elevation, told not a high elevation to worry about & a few crystals in kidneys. Which he has had in past) vet has given meds to increase his appetite, stop infections since high fever). But refuses to eat!!! 4-5 pieces of chicken or (hamburger baked/ground up) past few days has had a darker feces very liquid. To point of putting / cleaning him in tub. Vet stated next step to perform stomach ultrasound to chk for masses, etc (just concerned because test to test is taking long. Vet had been great for 12yrs i bring dog to her.) he still is active many times, acts like he is fine.. I do have to put pills down his throat, try and hand feed him bits of meat (if he eats 3tablespoons im lucky a day) he always ate, til past mo. Id do all i can to help him. Its a mystery to me & vet is trying to help & do testing w/no concerns of $$. Id like to give him liquids (til this tues when his test is) im unsure what to give. I dont want him starving..(vet said try any food, but i didnt ask what liquid type things are good to give, even if for human id try if safe on dog) again blood/lyme/cushions/corto levels & exrays are fine. Exray did not show stomach. Again, he is somewhat active, snubs foods, unlike before. Im afraid of a stomach mass or cancer. He has dropped 4lbs in 3wks.  If any1 has delt w/same please email any help. I dont want him to suffer ever & wish i new his problem that he has now (everyday i hope he wakes up & eats) pkz tell me if liquids are good & what to try or anything. I no he seems hungry, just will not eat anymore, less & less each day (way he acts i dont think its a pain issue on him. Have given rymodel occasionaly.  Thank you & if anyone has advice to. Carol  
Tags: food
Chicken broth (plain canned) is good for dogs.  Just be sure you get 'no salt' or as little salt as possible.  Same for canned beef broth, and tuna juice.  Some dogs like the flavor of cheese, or peanutbutter.  You must remember that these things cannot be a regular diet for your dog.  It is just to get some nutrition into him.  Also unsalted canned green beans, carrots (cooked or raw is fine with carrots) and you can try bananas as well.  Blessings - Blu
You might try some fresh or canned green tripe. Fresh really stinks but some of the pet stores sell canned.  
It is full of nutrients and Omega.  Most dogs love it.  Try mixing that with other suggestions
Also canned baby food (chicken/beef/turkey) may work or if your vet has hill's a/d canned food-it is high in calories. Really any kind of dog canned food will work. Has your vet mentioned anything about immune-mediated polyarthritis? It is when the immune system attacks the joints and causes inflammation and pain. I think it is something to consider with the dog having a fever and walking funny.
Hill's a/d was mentioned here.  That is a great idea, because the more you mix it, the more 'whipped' it becomes, plus it mixes pretty well with a bit of water.  At the vet I worked in, we used that for baby animals, watered down to a paste, and a syringe to squirt it into their mouths a bit at a time. A couple more Hill's ideas that come to mind now are canned cat food (some dogs love it) and, strangely, r/d for dogs.  Some like that flavor as well.
Thank u all for all advice :) & being nice. Helpful, sadly  His ultrasound test last wk showed cancer, in lining of stomach, spreading to spots on liver (fluid in stomach which made him not hungry) . We thought (& we spoke w/vet for an hr. upset) that we shld let him be w/his bro. & he was put dwn. (never looking sick, which i cld nvr keep any animal for my benifit only, while there hurting & they just love you & want the same & deserve the best) I hope he's playing his lil heart out & he'l always be w/me..the large void i feel without him i cant explain, i look every day for him. I know il one day get to see him. I only hope he's running & playing & eating & knows how much we love him. & we were lucky/blessed to have had him w/us. Thank you all again for your msgs of help. Carol (Carole64)
Oh, I am so sorry but feel you made the right decision.  
Hugs
I'm so sorry to read this.  You absolutely made the right decision.  When we bring our pets into our lives we make them an unwritten promise to care for them and to never let them suffer.  You gave him the most precious gift you ever could have given him; freedom from suffering.  He will always be with you and you will see him again.  Hugs to you.

Ghilly
To all (Margot & Ghilly) frm Carol.
Thank you both sooo much for your kind words (hardest desicion to make on a dog, u never want them to suffer or not do enough. Last part if i tried meds/tests i may have gotten few more days, then he wlda suffered more) its nice there are people who talk to you & give all advice they can. Im glad i saw this site... Thank you again for caring & ur advice. Its soo appreciated by me. (now i have to really get our  3yr old eskie pup, more active &  plays & give him all time he needs. He's a grt pup/smart/more, just seems down. I feel sad he does. he gives lots of love just because :) he seems to look for his bro often. Im greatful i had the time i had w/13yr old. (its hard they cant live same ages as us) so every days a gift w/them. There precious. Thank you both again. And im glad i found a site like this. & to all thankyou for advice & helping me. Sincerely. Carol R. (Carole64) plz just Carol :)