Dogs Community
14 Month Old Golden Retriever Not Eating, No energy, Not responding to ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

14 Month Old Golden Retriever Not Eating, No energy, Not responding to anything...

My Golden Boy, RIO, has been a very energetic and mischeivous little guy. He loves everyone and always wants to play at all times of the day or night. But over the last few days, he has not been eating anything, no treats, not his kibble, not even trying to steal my food. He has very little energy, barely gets up, doesnt want to play. this is not like him and it's starting to worry me. I took him to the vet but even the vet seems to be baffled as to what's going on. He won't even respond to his name, or come when called. he's 14months now and i've had him since he was a only 2 months old. any ideas/suggestions as to what might be happening and what i could do to make him better??
Hard to tell.  Sorry you are going through this with your pup.  You don't state what the Vet or if any testing was done.  I would suggest getting a second opinion from another Vet and soon
We need more information....Was a urinalysis done? How about bloodwork? What did your Vet do as the exam? Was any medication offered? Appetite stimulant or anything? Has this dog been vaccinated? Found any Ticks on him? Any vomiting or Diarrhea? How long has this been going on?

What food & treats do you feed...Names please.....

There are so many possibilities, that it's hard to even give you a clue....Anything else you can think of would be helpful.....Karla
Bloodwork was done, waiting on results. and Appreite stimulant was givn.
he eats blue buffalo dog food - treats he eats marrow bones once in a while. he has been fully vaccinated. no ticks, no vominting, no diarrhea. possible constipation. and its been about 3 days that he's been acting like this. i've also noticed him waking up at night and just sitting up and staring at nothing.
the vet tried to get him to eat some food, didn't work out, he would avoid eye contact from anyone and jus stares at the floor.
bloodwork results pending. appetite stimulant was given. i was thinkin i should take him to another vet, just for the sake of gettin him checked by another professiional and get him better.
At this point I would wait until the test results are in and see what the Vet has to say.  Hope things don't get worse.
Do keep us posted
If he isn't eating at all, make sure he is at least drinking water. Usually dogs are fine if they don't eat for a couple of days as long as they are drinking. You can have him drink chicken broth to get dome nutrient in him. It could be dehydration, and maybe even early signs of Parvo. I would give him Pedialyte. If its flavored it won't affect him, but in my experience -the unflavored one is better. My dog drank that one instead of the grape one but I don't know if it was the smell or the color. If he is not drinking, you'll have to get a syringe and put give it to him. Put it on his gums and lips if you have to or open up his mouth and put it in. Try making some rice in the chicken broth and see if he'll eat that as well.
Hi hope your Golden gets well soon I also have an 17month old Golden called RIO as well, he is pretty slim as he doesnt seem to worry much about food but the difference is he is healthy and bright as a button.
The results will be interesting just wondered if he has Diabetes.... apart from that is is a real mystery and I do hope they find out whats wrong with  him' I really feel your pain as he is still a puppy with his life ahead of him.
has he gotten into some kind of poison?