Dogs Community
4 swollen lymph nodes in dogs neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

4 swollen lymph nodes in dogs neck

I just discovered that there are swollen lymph nodes in my dogs neck.  Each one about the size of a golf ball.  Should I wait a few days for the swelling to go down or take her to the vet now?  Thanks
I am so sorry to read this but thankful you went to the Vet.  When I caught the swollen node, fortunately, there were no others that were felt externally.  Due to your dog's age, I opted to do palliative care only.  Pathology came back 30-55 days with no treatment.  There is a yahoo canine cancer group you may want to check on.  Very informative but most of them are doing Chemo, etc.  There is a protocol I considered that involved Prednisone and I think it is Lucherine (?). Don't have my notes handy.  Still costly but not as bad as Chemo.  After doing some reading and talking to a couple Vets, I opted for diet and supplements.  I fed Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato food (you don't want to feed carbs as sugar feeds the cancer).  I supplemented with 2000-3000 iu of Omega 3/Fish Oil daily.  Our Grey was also on BP meds for some kidney issues.  I opted not to do Prednisone either as I didn't want to deal with the side effects and didn't want the dog to have to deal with them either.  He lived just short of 6 months from diagnosis.  I hope you get the same .  If you have any questions or just want to talk, feel free to PM me.
hugs.   Nasty diseases!!!
If it were my dog, I would not wait, The swollen lymph nodes could be due to a serious infection ,fungal or bacterial, or even cancer.  Either way, I would want to have my dog checked, so I could start treatment as soon as possible. If your dog has severely enlarged lymph nodes it may have trouble eating, or even have difficulty with breathing, so
I would not wait for things to get worse.
I hope things go well for your dog, and she will just need a round of antibiotics to clear things up.
Please be sure to let us know how things go.
Connie
Thank you for the information.  I will take her to the vet this afternoon and see what is going on with her.
That's great...!  Please let us know what you find out.
I pray that it is just an infection...
Connie
Agree that the dog should be checked by the Vet as soon as possible.  When I first felt a swollen node in my Grey's neck, I was at the Vet right away and asked him to do an aspiration biopsy. Unfortunately, it was Lymphoma. However, it could be from infection so best to get it checked out.
So sad to report that she does have lymphoma.  There were many areas of swollen glands, chest, front and back legs.  Because of her age (11 years) and the stage (Stage III), I have elected to keep her comfortable for the next few weeks.  This was a devastating discovery because she seems so healthy and still active.  My poor girl.  

Thank you for everyone's concern.
hugs.   Nasty diseases!!!
I am so sorry to hear about your dogs diagnosis. It is such heartbreaking news...I wish I could offer some tips but,
I have never had a dog with cancer, so I don't know how to advise you, However,
It sounds like Margot49 has gone through the same thing and she could be a wonderful contact for you. (Thanks Margot49)
It can be so helpful to talk to others who have been through the same thing.  
  Please do stay in touch with us on the forum. There are many supportive people here, who understand how much your dog means to you.
Your dog loves you and trusts you, and she knows she is in good hands.
You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.
Connie
I have elected to go with the prednisone to help reduce the swelling and tramadol to reduce the pain.  I've contacted a vet that will come to my home to put her to sleep when the time comes, as she doesn't really like going to the vet's office.  The swelling hasn't been reduced, I think that the cancer is quite aggressive at this stage.  I have noticed her breathing is labored, but I can't tell how difficult or uncomfortable it is for her right now.  She's eating and drinking normally she is definitely slowing down with her play.  I think that the tramadol is slowing her down a bit also.  I just don't want her to suffer.
Just had my 10 yr old male boxer (Buster) to the vets as he has a swollen neck  to the right hand side, they think it could be cancer of the lymph nodes they have given him two injections to see if it takes down the swelling just in case in an infection, i have to take him back in morning to see if there is any change .He is a very fit and healthy boy just wondered if any one else as any advice as  to this and what is the outcome ,he means the world to us and im petrified for tomorrow.x.
I noticed 4 lumps in my dogs neck, an English Setter and the vet has been to see him today. He will soon be 7. She found further lumps and 2 in his back legs.  She has given him some strong antibiotics and I am to monitor him. She will come ad do a biopsy if nothing happens soon. Hoping it is a bad bug but also aware of the other possibility.
Have her aspirated one of them and send it out for pathology.
My OES, 6 yrs old has been having some breathing problems for the past couple of weeks.  It sounds like she has 'gloppy stuff' in her throat. She is acting fine otherwise, but, I took her to the vet last week and he gave her a shot of pregnazone(msp) and anitbiotic pills ~~he stated that her glands under her jaw were a little swollen and said she had an upper respriatiory infection, which is not common.  Told me she would be 100% in 2 days. She did not get any better so I took her to the vet yesterday. She has about 4 lymp nodes that are enlarged. He took a blood sample, we will have the results by this afternoon.  Then he aspirated 2 of the nodes to send out . They will be back early next week.  To say that I am very upset is an understatement.  Up until this point she has been very healthy except for an occasional ear infection. She has been a therapy dog for the last 4 years and is a wonderful PAWS dog (children read to her).  She is the sweetest, joyfulest pupper I have ever had and I am trying to remain positive..but....it is so hard...THANK YOU for letting me 'vent' my emotions...I know everyone here understands....
Yes, we do understand and it is concerning.  Any time I feel a node enlarged I get it checked out.  Hope it is an infection going on and nothing worse.
Sounds like a great dog!