4th stage renal failure in my dog
I have a nine year old lab  "Sandy Grace".  She is in fourth stage renal failure-Of course she has seen her regular vet for fluids-ultra sound revealed she has one kidney which is failing.   Creatine was 13-subs at home-now using hollistic and homepatic treatment.  Recently more bad days than good.    I am giving her ice chips which seem to work better for her than lapping.  Pedialyte ice is also better.  She throws up until she staggers and falls-I am continuously trying to hydrate her and giving her baby food-At times, she is able to keep it down,  other times the vomiting is horrible.  She continues to try for us, and we are fighting so hard for her-LIke others, I tuck her in at night (she sleeps on the loveseat with her "bankie" covering her).  I am sleeping in the den with her so I can give her support throughout the night.  Neither of us are getting much sleep.  I have her spoiled now with hand feeding other than her baby food, and I hold her plate while she licks it up.  I am using a recipe of egg yellow / whites, honey, and whole yogurt with a touch of dry powdered milk.  This works sometimes.  Sandy Grace is not ready to leave us-she continues to try-we try for her twenty-four hours a day.  Is there any over the counter medication that I can give her that will help with her vomiting?  We love her so much and she loves us so much-my husband and I feel like we will know when she is ready to go.  We went to grocery store yesterday to  buy more food supplies and liquids for her, when we got home, there she was looking out the window-barking for us to hurry and come inside-you open the door and there she is  - -so excited, still wagging her tail for us.  What can we do, this is our baby, she is so, so sweet-I know her days are numbered, but she is just not ready to leave. Help.    Aggieone
Diagnosed with CRF - oops
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Snowy...You and your family were a blessing for him. Thank you for sharing your story...It has helped me already, and will also help others.
Don't beat yourself up over not recognizing the early signs....most people don't.. (unless they have already experienced this disease with another one of their pets)   I attributed my TwoBits early signs to Old age...needing to urinate more often...having occasional accidents...and sleeping most of the time...when the accidents started happening more often, I brought her in to find out if she had a urinary infection...thats the day I found out she was in stage 3 kidney failure.  It was devastating.
You are right...it is the quality of their life that is most important...not the length of it...Because of your love, Snowy did not suffer.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy...
God Bless Snowy's beautiful spirit and soul.  
Connie
Hi There...So sorry to hear about your sweet little guy.
I am asking that you please post your message as a new question.
Copy it...go to the top of the page...click on Post a Question.. paste the information...and post it.
There will be more members who will see this, you will get more replies and hopefully someone can help you.
I will be watching for your "NEW QUESTION" in the Dogs Community....
Connie
I read your message about Snowy and tears were in my eyes. I lost my dog BB (which you may have already read on this thread) at much the same time and through the same condition as how you lost Snowy. So I empathise totally with everything you have said. Three years is devastatingly short, but you should be comforted by the fact that you were privilaged to have been a huge part of his life ... and he of course was privileged to have you in his life, albeit for too short a time. I know what you mean about crying after the dreadful deed has been done. I was exactly the same - and have been virtually every day since. I know I did the right thing - as you must also recognise - but doing the right thing sometimes hurts us so very much. My heart goes out to you. Tony x
It was by chance I found this pet site, since it part of Medhelp, but thank God I did. The people on this site are remarkable. They all have experienced tough part of having a dog in your life. Tony and Charlotta both did wonderful with your pets and I know they loved you so much. BB and
Snowy will always be a part of you. You honor their memory by helping others. One thing I love about Christmas is the part of giving back, paying
forward and I void in memory of my Jack I will do everything I can to help others. I plan to adopt another dog and cat someday from a shelter too.
When I retire I will also work with the local food bank and our local Friends of Animals. They are constantly working to shut-down puppy mill practices in our county. They get involved with these breeders to show they can humanly treat these poor dogs. They are so many worthy causes we all can do to make life better. This place is a good start for those who love their dogs and cats. You can help those in dire need, friendship, and understanding. My heart is so low and I miss Jack more today than I did yesterday. I know your grief all to well. You both
did wonderful job. May God Bless You.

Mark
Thank you Mark Today I bought a little plaque in the form of a Christmas Tree bauble with BB's name on it. It's handmade and rather sweet. It can go on our tree this year and every year and will be an emotional and timely reminder of my best friend and all she means/meant to me. I know what you mean about missing your Jack as it's the same for me and my BB. In time, we will remember them for the happy lives and times they had, even though right now it's mainly heartache. Big hugs, Tony
Well,ive not logged in for a while,its 6 weeks nearly since nan went ,had a photo enlarged on canvas I swear her eyes follow me round the room :-)

I hoped against hope that there would be no new posters and that
it would be all quite ,but in the case of this disease hope ony turns to
despair .. I cannot give any advice I really wished I could ,we miss Nanny
dreadfully ,the void will last some time ,its actually life changing ,I still
find myself talking to her ,sadly her lovely face is not looking at me
pretending she understands ,as I used to talk to her about nearly anything
not all the time ,but alot of the time :-) ,if something good happened Nan was told ,if something bad happened nan looked on at me swearing :-)she knew :-).. no more walks ,no more me making out she was the best thing
in the world when I came home  ,she was the best thing anyway ;-)

I will only say this no matter what breed your dog, they will do best
to show they are not ill ,its just the way they are ..

Once the eating  has stopped and the vomitting has taken over its time
for them to leave us ,Nan had rapid weight loss she was a beautiful lady like creature ,and could be a moody cow when she wanted, (Im sure I
just heard her under the breath growl :-) ,, she would not have wanted to be a bag of bones laying suffering on the sofa ,we must realise that the blood now
travelling around our loved ones bodies is toxic ,and that every beat of their heart is now slowly killing them ,Nan went in peace at home .

I would just like to add for people who have to face this, to not look at it
as death ,Im trying to word this properly ,but it is not death, it is a release
and it is a defeat for this evil disease , because that is what it is evil ,
I can find no other word ,do not let it ravage your loved one.

If you can get the vet to come to your house ,I regret one thing ,it may
sound strange but i wished I asked the vet to leave Nan with us after
she passed away ,we could have taken her to the vets an hour or two later
for them to sort out the creamation etc,what actually happens is that u crack up and just think shes dead shes going away with the vet ,if you can
keep them and take them down later,do so if u feel u can  ,nan looked so peaceful and lovely
we would have wrapped her up and taken her down ,well thats just my thoughts ,I would love to have buried her ,but we are moving and Im not
leaving her here :-)

Now we come to the worse bit (for those who have to have cremation)
A week or so has gone by, your getting to grips with matters etc,etc

Well your not ,you will get to vets ,walk in ,and say you have come
to pick up the ashes ,any funds need paying you will sort out ,you
will be holding things together nicely at this point ,then the box appears
and is handed to you ,yep your still holding it together maybe tears
are welling ,but your ok ,u just want to get out the door ,ur grip on
the box is tightening as u cross the road to ur car ,the box is now actually becoming part of you ,ur heart is part of the box ,you get into the car
close the door ,and my god u will cry, u will hold the box stroke the box
for inside is ur babe ,I can only describe the experience as devistating ..

If u have a piece of ground where u can bury, it is alot better, sadly as in my
case some do not ,

sorry if ive rambled on but we have all discussed the disease just thought
Id add about the aftermath, some will be going through this for the 1st time.
nan was the 3rd dog I lost, 1st was a mad mix (dont like the word mongrel)
called wally  he was 5 died of cancer ,at xmas time tragic ,2nd was a yorkie
called max he was 14 he got chrones disease had to go, he ended up
walking in circles ,poor old thing :-)

Finally time is a great healer ,love time, is what we had with our loved ones ,time is all we have ...

god bless you all ,and be strong in the decisions you make ..

Colin ..
Colin...I posted a note in your profile.
Colin, What a Wonderful Testament you posted portraying your Love for Nanny....Although quite sad, it was also heartwarming to read your words....

I'm terribly sorry for your loss and hope time will help heal your heart.....

Thank you for coming back with this update.....Your words of wisdom will help others.....Your in my thoughts & prayers.......God bless you, too.....I'm gonna get off here.....Going to go take some TIME (Your Words) to see if any of my dogs wanna play!  :)  Take care, Karla

~~Run Free Nanny~~You Were Much Loved~~One of the Lucky Ones~~
sorry max had cushins disease not chrones ,just to clear that up :-)
Colin...
This disease is so difficult to accept, it makes the loss of our pets, equally as difficult to accept.  You are so right when you say that it is evil.
Colin...I cried when I read your story last night...I know how much you are hurting...I am sure it was difficult to re-live that moment, and write about it, but it will help others to prepare for what lies ahead....thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about the cremation. My heart hurts for you.... I know how much you miss Nanny.

It has been 12 weeks since TwoBits death. I do my best to carry on with the daily routines...sadly, crying is one of them.
"Time" has reduced the number of tissues I need to use...so has the understanding ,kind words, and support of the people who I have met on this forum. To know that there are others who truly understand my loss, has been a godsend.
The death of our pets that we love so dearly, is truly life changing. It has been that way with each of the pets I have lost.  I can say that for me, Time has not made the pain of the loss any less, but Time has made the pain come Less often, and eventually, only when I allow myself to let it.  Yes, Time does help.
Time has taught me, that I do not want to spend the rest of my time on earth, without the love of a dog...or two..or three...or four..!  Yes, Time is a great Healer, but then again...so is the Love from a Dog.    How do you think I ended up with so many....!  15 years ago, I had 2 dogs...one died, and I went and got another..during that time...we took in a chihuahua who needed a home. So now I had 3.....4 years ago 2 of them died within 3 months of each other...It was devastating.....I had already been mourning for 3 months, and now another one was gone...!  I needed some healing NOW....I couldn't bear the thought of having to grieve for both of them without some extra help.....
The house was to quiet with just one dog left standing .( TwoBits )
I felt lost and I thought TwoBits did too...we needed a bigger family...so I opened my heart and home to 3 more dogs within a year of my loss.
Two Bits was the one dog who went through all of this with me....always faithful, always right beside me.  She has left a huge hole in my heart, I am thankful I have the love of my other 3 dogs to help fill it and mend it.

Colin I know that when you are tired of mourning...you will be thinking about getting another dog..(.even though we know we will lose them someday...we still know that the pain of lossing them is worth the joy of loving them.)  When the day comes that you get another dog to add to your family...It will be a very lucky dog to have someone like you.
Yes Colin,
In the Long Run, "Time" will help us all,
But .......
It is my dogs, that help me make it through the day.

Thinking of you....and sending lots of Hound Hugs from Minnesota...
Connie

.
"Bump" for Marilyn.....
i i have also had my lovey little jack russel put to sleep for kindey failer and it broke my heart i had her for 13 years and miss her so much and reading all these letters made me cry , i will never forget my dog and i am sorrey for all you who have to go threw what i have been throug mary
I'm a grieving daddy to a 13 yr old male dalmatian named Frosty who passed away in my arms early Saturday morning before we had scheduled to put him to sleep that morning.  Frosty's eating habits starting changing in july when he stopped eating his dry dog food.  No big  deal i just started feeding him canned food mixed with rice and he loved it.  Then over thanksgiving everything changed.  Before we left my folk's house that monday he gobbled up a bowl of leftover turkey and rice...this turned out to be his last full meal.  After that all he wld eat is human food and only a little bit.  Pizza crust, ham, chicken is about all i cld get him to eat.  He was really starting to lose weight so i took him in last wed and the blood test revealed kidney failure.  Of course i was devastated and called in sick to work on wed and thurs night.  We spent most of the 24 hrs a day in bed cuddling those last few nights.  He was such a lover!   My folk's came down friday night to say goodbye and we had decided to put him to sleep the next morning.  He woke me up at 2 am saturday hacking up fluids.  I layed with him the whole time then about 430 he spit up blood and i knew the end was near.  I started apologizing for not putting him down the night before.  At 5 am he seized up and passed away in my arms. I have to say that its an image i'll never get out of my head.  Im so sorry for letting you die like that frosty.   I was being selfish and wanted one last night together.  I hope you can forgive me.   Daddy loves you!
I am so sorry to read about Frosty. I lost my own beautiful lurcher, BB, just 2 weeks ago to kidney failure and I know how devastating it is - and how fast the end seems to be. I am still in shock over how quickly my 12yr old girl went downhill. It may not have been the end you had intended, but it's such a hard disease to second guess when the right time is, so don't beat yourself up over it. The important thing is you loved him to bits - and he knew you loved him. He passed away in your arms, knowing he was loved, and knowing you were there right up to the end. He left this world with you at his side ... what dog would ask for anything more than to have that loyalty, reassurance and commitment.

I know only too well how you must be feeling right now, but each day will get slightly easier - though we will never ever forget our very best friend and all they mean to us. In time, you will be comforted from the fact that you both shared 13 wonderful years together. Run free Frosty.

Take care,

Tony
I am so very sorry to hear about Frosty.
When you are told your dog is in kidney failure, it is such a shock..it is difficult to accept and makes the decision to euthanize your dog a difficult one.  Your decision to wait a couple of days before you decided on euthanasia is understandable. You did nothing wrong.  
I can tell you that no matter how our dogs die, we ALWAYS wish we would have done something different...ALWAYS.
I know that you are feeling the same way right now.
I am sorry that your plan to assist her with her death did not work out,but sometimes, it is just out of our control.
When we are surrounded by so much darkness, it can be difficult to see the light,...but there are some things you can take comfort in...
The extra days of cuddling gave you your chance to say goodbye..
and he died at home, in the comfort and safety of your arms,surrounded by people who love him.
His suffering was short, and he suffers no more.
He was a lucky dog to live his life in the company of someone who loves him....He knows how much you love him still, and always will. There is nothing you did wrong that Frosty needs to forgive you for...but, if you feel that Frosty needs to forgive you...then take comfort in knowing that he does Forgive you, Because Frosty loves you too. And that is what true love is all about.
Please accept my deepest, and heartfelt sympathy....
You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.
God Bless Frosty's Beautiful Spirit and Soul...
Connie

Hi everyone,
I've been reading all of your stories and my thoughts are with everyone who is going through the same as we are currently going through. We have a 9 year old Beagle called Dillon and until 3 months ago he was all fit and well.

3 months ago we found a benine tumor in his neck and took him to the vets to have it removed. This was all fine but during the blood test the surgeon noticed that his numbers where off and he had some early signs of kidney failure. After the surgery Dillon managed to scratch his scar and get it infected. On the surgeon's notes he specified that they weren't to give him a certain type of drug under any circumstances (the name escapes me but i will find out and post it when i know), and it is safe to say that the drug that they gave us to give him turns out to be the drug. To cut a long story short Dillon has gone from stage 1 to stage 4 in 3 months not knowing that they have given him a course of treatment that will end up killing him.

Currently Dillon is loosing weight and barely drinking but is eating rice and chicken only. He seems happy but I know its only a matter of time and its really getting me down knowing that it was completely avoidable.

Hope you all are well.
Tom
Thank you Tony & Connie!
Hi Tom..
It is such a tragedy to hear want has happened to Dillon.
I certainly know the anguish that you must be feeling.  I know that you wanted to be able to help Dillon live longer, and now you feel like you have both been robbed of that chance.  It makes a person sick and it will be difficult to overcome. My heart aches for you both.
I will be interested in finding out what the medication was, and also what did your vet have to say when he found out what happened..?  
What kind of treatments and meds is Dillon taking now...?
Tom..I am so sorry to hear about this, that I find myself at a loss for words.
Please keep me informed, I will be thinking of you both, and watching for your reply.
Hugs to you both...Connie
iabeahvlr..
You are welcome...if you need to talk, you know where to find us.
I will be thinking of you and hoping you are doing well.
Connie
As I read thse comments I find the tears streaming down my cheeks.  You see my little Yorkie Poo, Baylee was diagnosed in October. Today we find ourselves faced with a very difficult decision.  The Vet has told us Baylee has maybee weeks.  She is so weak, can not keep her food down.  Yes the Vet has given us meds for nausea, phosphorus and even fluids to put under her skin.  You see Baylee was born with deformed kidneys.  Both together equal about 1/2 the size of one normal kidney.  And both kidneys are bad.  For the last week she has done nothing but sleep , what she does eat she vomits. It is so hard to make a decision, Vet says we can sustain her through the holiday but I do not want to be greedy and prolong her death. I am so sad, very unfair to her to not have lived a full life.
I felt those of you on the site would understand..thanks for reading..Bless all of you and your 4 legged children (cause really that's what they are)
I am so sorry to hear about Baylee.
Every time I read another new post about a dog going through this...it breaks my heart.
A friend told me that a dog does not care about the number of years that it lives, the number of years is only important to us.
What a dog cares most about is the quality of its life while it is here.
It is because of you that Baylee has the best quality of life possible.

Please don't think that she has not lived a full life, just because of her age.
She may not be living a long life, but because of you, it sounds like it has been a full life.
You have filled her life with food and shelter, medical care, kindness, companionship, happiness,compassion and unconditional, undying love.
You have made her part of your family and she is loved for who she is,you would not trade her for all the healthy kidney dogs in the world.
You have, and still are doing everything you can for her.
You have been her dream come true.

Baylee loves you and trusts you...she has been a lucky dog to live her life in the company of someone who loves her.
I know that you do not want to see her go. I know your heart is breaking, and there are no words that can stop that from happening.

Please know that we have wonderful people on this forum who understand only too well the emotions that you are feeling. You are not alone...and we are here for you.

Give her lots of hugs and kisses...and tell her she is the best dog in the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Connie

Just like Connie, every time I read a story about kidney failure, it breaks my heart. I feel quite heartbroken for you and for Baylee. Only you can determine when the right time comes. Sadly, this is your last loving responsibility to her. You are quite right in saying our dogs are our children, and a major and essential part of our family. I know only too well how hard this must be for you, but rest assured that you have loved and cared for Baylee and her life has been enriched by having you in it. As Connie has said, we are here for you, so message as much and as often as you want to ... tell us about Baylee ... and keep us posted about how things go over the next few days/weeks. Give Baylee an extra cuddle from me. Big hugs, Tony
We lost our much loved dog to kidney failure almost 4 weeks ago.  He was a rescue from central america and was just over 8 when he passed away.  It was the worst thing we have been through and still coming to terms with his loss.  I have had him for almost 8 years and he was my best friend and companion.    He had ehrlichiosis when he was a pup and that may have come to play all this time later.   We tried to do everything we could to save him.  In his last 4 weeks,  he must have been examined by 10 different vets and had two 4 day stays in hospital.  The doctors did everything they could but their treatment for this terrible disease is not impressive.  I wish that i had known more about this terrible disease earlier on.  He had occasional loss of appetite and nausea for the last 6 months.  The problem was he seemed fine most of the time .  Anytime he was sick we took him to the vet.  I am not overly wealthy but money was never a consideration for treatment.  I would have mortgaged the future to save him.  I am not happy with his routine vet.  I brought him to the vet six months ago and mentioned that he seemed off his food.  The vet examined him and thought he was fine.  The vet did not do blood work and i wish i had known about this back then so i could have insisted on it.  Mayby they would have noticed it earlier.   I just wish i was educated on kidney disease earlier.   The entire time from his diagnosis to passing was about 3 weeks.   In november,  i thought he was fine and would be with us for years to come.     From what i have learned, the only real hope for this disease seems to be stem cell therapy they are experimenting with this.  I planned on getting him in a program in new york but we didnt have enough time.  As i read all these posts,  i see that so many people are going through the same thing.  A couple in my building had the exact same experience last year.  Anyone else feel that routine vet visits, exams and tests do not do enough in this area?
Hi. First of all, I am so very sorry for your loss. Your best friend passed away much the same time as mine and from the exact same disease. I had an even shorter time from diagnosis to euthansia, at just under a week, even though my lurcher BB seemed relatively healthy until her last 3 days - at which point she went from day 1 running along the beach quite happily, to day 3 where she couldn't stand up and stopped eating completely, having lost over 20 per cent of her body weight.

It is the nature of this dreadful disease that once it reaches the fourth stage, there is virtually nothing that can be done and you tend to feel totally helpless. Unfortunately, even if you had received an earlier diagnosis, it may not have helped that much, though it may have gained you a few weeks or possibly months. Sadly, there is no cure, as you probably know.

In humans, there is kidney dialysis, but even that only works for a short time while people wait for a kidney doner.

I absolutely agree that there is not enough research going on, as it seems from my own reading that kidney disease is a massive killer of dogs, particularly those that reach mid-to-late life.

Again, I am sorry for your loss - I do know exactly what you are going through, all made that much worse due to the time of year. Big hugs, Tony
I rescued my shiba inu mix Casi (pronounced KC) 9 years ago in September from an abusive owner.  I drove up 3 hours to see her and fell in love with her the moment I saw her. Since then it has been me and her day in and day out.  She has never been sick a day in her life until June, when I arbitrarily took her to the vet for a teeth cleaning.  Afraid that she was getting older, the vet told me he would take lab work to put my mind at ease but "[he] was sure nothing would turn up. Well, he was wrong.  Her liver enzymes were sky high.  I agreed to let her new vet do a biopsy, which came back negative.  Great, no cancer.  But my hapiness was short lived when after a routine follow up and lab work my vet called and said that her bun and creatinine was abnormal.  It was uncompreshensible to me how her results could be so high if she was not showing any signs of being sick - she had a HUGE appetite, she was extrememly active and playful and she was not having any accidents.  Fast forward to New Year's day when she just stopped eating. I immediately took her into the vet, he ran lab work and I was told that she is at the end stages of renal disease.  Last night she went to sleep happy and responsive, this morning she would not walk and I had to carry her into the house and carry her to put her in the car.  She IS MY LIFE, as I live alone.  I took her to the vet this morning thinking I was going to let her go, but after talking to the vet, I decided to have her admitted and let them administer IV fluids in the hopes that she will turn around.  I asked the vet if she was suffering at all, and he said naturally she doesn't feel good, but she is not in any pain. It breaks my heart that my dog who just the other day cuddled on the couch with me will not even come near me today and looks so lifeless.  All this is so sudden and I do not want to be selfish, but am I being selfish by holding out one last chance? I also want to add that Casi is my first dog since I have been on my own.
I just happened to see your comment on this site.  I'm so sorry to hear this of "Your Casi"  You're not selfish ~ She's not herself right now...you're mourning the loss of what she has been to you for all these yrs. Your Baby...God Bless, my heart goes out to you.
Thank you so much for your kind words.  Casi's vet just called - she is receiving IV fluids and tolerating them well and she is resting comfortably. He said that her BUN and Creatinine have not gotten any worse, but he did notice that her cortoisone levels were high - so he is going to test her for Addision disease - he said it is a long shot because she is an older dog (and Addision's is normally found in younger dogs) but he said it is worth a shot.

In the meantime he put the phone next to her ear so that I could tell her goodnight and how much I love her, and I'll get to visit her tomorrow! :)

P.S. I never realized how therapeutic talking to someone who I've never met but who understands who I am going through could be.  Thank you for that! :)

Casi's Mom (Lisa)
You are doing amazing things for your Casi. I really hope the treatment works and she perks up - or that the diagnosis proves to be something the vet can do something about. Please come back and let us know tomorrow. Many of us have been in similar situations with our best friends, so we understand and empathise. Love knows no bounds. Big hugs, Tony
Lisa...
I am glad to read that Casi seems to be tolerating the IV fluids. I will pray that her levels go down. It sounds like your vet is wonderful...letting you talk to your dog on the phone is so compassionate and understanding.  I hope tomorrow will bring good news. Please let us know how things are going.
You will both be in my thoughts and prayers....
Connie
Well xmass has passed and a new year is upon us ,or is it ?

Miss nanny like hell ,Im still singing to her making mad statements,

like you do ,but shes not there ,The evil took her away ,you may

think this a mad statement ,but it is not ,its true...Dont let this thing

harm your loved ones ,you will know the right time ,do not poison

a beautiful flower ,let it sleep it will  grow again ..

Do not make your  love suffer let them sleep ....

anyone on here is searching for hope ,Im affraid there is none ,but

There is a lot of Love on here :-)

kiss them goodbye ,if you ended up here ,thats all that is left
but if you ended up here ,you had a very very special part of your
life ,that you will never forget,,,

that  costs alot money cant buy it :-)

love to you all be strong ,you have to ,,
My heart goes out to you. My Gracie, a fifteen year-old friend, died Thursday. Likewise, in only 3 weeks she went from good health to dying from kidney failure. I woke up the 17th of December and found my fern knocked over and Gracie disoriented. She threw up later that day, so I thought she had gotten into something that made her ill. The next week she was walking, but at times seemed disoriented and still sick at her stomach. On Christmas Eve she experienced  grand mal seizure and a milder seizure hours later. On Christmas, she was restless; she wanted to walk endlessly. Before, she would be happy snoozing on her pillow for hours. As the day progressed, she began falling because her legs gave out. Our vet did blood work and prescribed valium to prevent another grand mal-- which he said may kill her. It was soon after she began refusing food and water.
     My husband used a turkey baster to give her water and chicken broth. By the end of the week, her jaws were clenched. On Monday, January 2, the vet told us that she was dying from kidney failure. Gracie stopped urinating. Three days later she died peacefully on her pillow at the foot of our bed.
     My heart goes out to anyone who has ever loved and lost a dog. Gracie was like a child to me. There is a void in my house. As my husband said, "She was my friend."
    God bless you at this time.
I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog.
This is such a devastating disease. My heart goes out to you and your husband.
There are many of us here, who understand your grief. We understand completely that this is a significant loss, she was your friend and part of your family.
Gracie was a lucky dog to spend her life in the company of people who love her and are proud to call her family.
If you need to talk, you have found the right place. There are many of us here who have recently lost our own beloved dogs. You will find the support you need, without fear of judgement.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
God Bless Gracies Beautiful Spirit and Soul....she is much loved.
Connie
Hi Francis. I just wanted to reiterate what Connie has said. I lost my 12yr old lurcher BB in exactly the same way. She wasn't really ill until the last 3 days of her life, though she had been a bit off her food for weeks earlier, which is why we took her to the vet and when we got the diagnosis of kidney failure. It all happened so fast after that, from a reasonably contented dog to one that couldn't stand up or eat.

My heart goes out to you. We love our dogs so much and they give us so much in return. When their time comes to leave us, it is truly heartbreaking. Gracie was lucky to have you both in her life - and you were lucky to have such a wonderful dog in your lives. Big hugs, Tony
I have a 4 year old beagle named Daisy. 3 days ago we were told she is in  kidney failure . She was healthy, very active, great appretite . She started losing weight very fast. We took her to the vet .They did blood work her level was already at 14 .I am heartbroken ! She is only 4 years old this is not fair ! I love her so much ! They gave her a month at the most. I am just overwhelmed with grief .I look at her with her big beautiful brown eyes and say they have to be wrong ! She has stopped eating today and has trouble standing up on her on. A week ago she was chasing our cats though the yard . She was eating like a horse. How can this disease not show any signs untill its to late. We are doing everything we can to have her with us as long as possiable. I will not let her suffer.  I know she does not feel well but i dont think she is in any pain. There are no words to express  how painfull this is .I hold her in my arms and she looks up at me i burst into tears. It could be tommorow,the next day or maybe a week from now that i will lose her. I feel like i have a weight sitting on my chest and its hard to breath . ITS NOT FAIR ! She is to young ! Reading everyones post is a God send .It makes me feel better knowing that you all care.I did not realize that so much of our family is being taken from us from this evil disease. I am very sorry for all of you . I would not wish this pain on anyone. I am praying that God  lets Daisy live for many more years.Thank you all . God Bless ! Wendy
Hello Wendy & welcome.....I'm sorry you found us under these conditions....There are many here that will help you get through this.....They all have lived through the same thing your facing......Please know, that I understand how hard this is for you & your Daisy.....I wish I could change what's going on.....I wish I could change it for someone everyday, but that's not possible.....What I can do is be here for you when you need to talk, yell, vent, cry, etc.....

Others will come along and offer their assistance, too.....What medication has your Vet given to help ease Daisy's condition?  Anything? What is being done so far? Let us know......

Please stay around here & check in often.....I promise it will you you feel better......I'm thinking of you and Daisy......Karla
Hi Wendy. Kidney failure is a dreadful condition which leaves us feeling fairly helpless. In your circumstances, with such a young dog, it must be ten times worse. As time moves along, please consult your vet about meds that won't prevent the inevitable, but will help Daisy feel more comfortable, such as antacids. My heart truly goes out to you. I can only reiterate what Karla has said - many of us have been where you are now, we understand and we empathise. If we can help in any way with information and support, we will. Big hugs, Tony
Hi Wendy...
I am so sorry to hear about Daisy. The road ahead will be difficult for both of you. Please feel free to ask questions or share your thoughts with us. We are here for you both.
As Tony has mentioned, there are medications that might make Daisy more comfortable.
Did your vet mention IV therapy for a few days, to see if Daisys numbers will come down...?  She does have youth on her side....it might be worth a try...? My heart just aches for you...This is so difficult, there are so many decisions that need to be made.  Please talk to your vet about the options that are available to help Daisy be more comfortable.
You will both be in my thoughts and prayers...
Give Daisy a hug from me, and tell her she is the best dog in the world.
Connie
Thank you so much for your kind words. Thank you for recognizing Gracie.
Thank you for your caring response. I am sorry that you had only three days' warning with your friend. Now that Gracie is gone, I wish I had prepared myself better. I guess I'm the eternal optimist-- always waiting for the last minute rescue.
I have actually grieved more openly for her than I have for people. I ran across an article that explained that dogs love us unconditionally. People strive to do this, but inevitably fall short. Dogs give us a glimpse of how we all should be.

Your dog was indeed lucky to have you.
Hi...if anyone can help me and my family reach closure I would be very grateful. Our beautiful and faithful German Shepard had to be euthanased this morning due to liver and kidney failure. This illness came on so quickly that his condition went down in the space of about eight weeks, did not want to eat and started losing weight progressively. Our vet did x rays, blood tests and we were told that he had terminal liver disease (no name was actually given to it) we tried our best to keep him going by feeding him cooked chicken, in fact anything that we thought he may eat, the Vet gave us medication antibiotics to give him which we did. After the last two weeks of him not eating and becoming thinner and thinner we again took him to the vet, where we were strongly advised to put him to rest. I feel terribly guilty about not been able to have done more for him...He was only ten years, and his health seemed to be fine before this happend. I have so many questions to ask, if anyone has been through anything similar I would deeply appreciate any feedback...Was there anything else we could have done for him...our vet was adamant that he was beyond help..but when you start trying to research on the internet I am seeing story's of people that have managed to help their dogs.....thanks for any help Gail South Africa
Hi Gail. I am very sorry for your loss. I know only too well how heartbreaking it is - and how guilty we sometimes feel, regardless of the fact everyone tells us we have nothing to feel guilty about. My dog died of kidney failure in November and while I am still grieving dreadfully for her, I have also spent a huge amount of time reading and researching the condition, so I hope I might answer your questions (and if not, someone on this site certainly will, they are fabulous people and many much more knowledgeable than me).

Your vet is partly right, insofar as there is no cure for kidney failure, so it really is a question of delaying the inevitable. Unfortunately, this disease tends not to show any symptoms until close to the end stage of it. Your dog may have had kidney problems a year ago or even 2 years ago, but neither you or your vet would have known. There is only one way to find out and that is with blood being taken and results being analysed - and even that isn't always successful, as blood stats for kidney failure don't always show up until well into the problem. So, one kidney may stop functioning due to the illness, but the other one keeps going for a while, until eventually it too starts to reach failure stage. If the problem can be discovered early enough, there are lots of things that can be done to help the dog, though these are all palliative (things to help delay the final stage of failure and things that can help keep the dog more comfortable and out of pain). Once kidney failure reaches it's final stage (also called the 4th stage) it is too late to do very much. From the time that symptoms start to show, a dog can go downhill rapidly.

My dog actually ate and ran along the beach 3 days before we euthanased her. She went from an active seemingly healthy girl, other than being a little off her food, to one that couldn't stand up on her own and stopped eating completely (she went all 3 days without touching any food, no matter what we tried). The speed of decline still has me in shock.

So, in short, my reply to you is, do not feel guilty. You did what had to be done and it was done out of love and compassion. This is a dreadful and cruel disease and I hope more research will go into finding ways we can resolve it. Sadly, it is the same for humans with kidney failure too - though humans can have dialysis to keep them going until a suitable doner is found. Obviously, this tends not to happen with dogs, mainly due to cost and consent issues as well as potential kidney rejection problems.

I hope this helps. There is a huge amount of information on this site about kidney failure, but reading this thread through may also prove beneficial, if you have other questions about it. Alternatively, just ask and I or someone else will respond. Again, I'm sorry for your loss but at least you know he is not in any more pain now. Big hugs, Tony
Hi Gail...
I am so very sorry to hear about your dog.  
I know you are wishing there was something you could have done differently.
The truth is, after losing our dogs to disease, we all wish we would have, or could have done something differently. We all wrestle with the possibility that if only we would have done something differently, perhaps our dogs would still be with us.
The reality is, we do the best we can, and after they have left us, we doubt the choices we made for them.
Please take some comfort in knowing that you always, only wanted to do what was best for him, and you did the best you could.

Tony has certainly given you enough information on your dogs kidney issues...and if kidney disease was the only thing your dog had wrong with him, then, there would have been the possibility of extending his life for a short while longer with medications, and fluids.
Unfortunately...your dog also had a terminal liver condition. Yes, like kidney disease, if the liver condition would have been caught in earlier stages, and you found out what was causing it, then again...there would have been a different course of action that you could have taken.
Your dog was, in a sense, lucky if he was not symptomatic or sick until the end stages.
With both his kidneys and liver shutting down, toxins were building up in your dogs blood, your guy must have felt terribly ill, and you did the right thing to assist him with his death, and end his suffering.

Someone told me, that it does not matter to a dog, how many years it lives, the number of years only matters to us. What matters most to a dog, is the quality of their life, while they are here.
Do not ever doubt, that you did not do enough. You gave him a wonderful 10 years...He lived a full life, you fed him, gave him shelter, played with him, talked with him, gave him medical care, and made him part of your family. Everything you did for him, you did because you love him, and you will always love him. The quality of his life was the best, filled with contentment, happiness, compassion and love.
He was a lucky dog to live his life in the company of people who love him.

I know you wish he could have lived longer...as we all do, but no matter when they leave us, it is ALWAYS to soon.

Please accept my heartfelt sympathy...
God Bless his Beautiful Spirit and Soul....he is much loved.
Connie
My sweet Sampson passed away from acute kidney failure on January 13, 2012 after a very swift onset of the disease.  I am very convinced that he was poisoned by the Chicken Jerky "treats" from Waggin' Train that I fed him.  Everyone, please look into this, google it, and try to find out or remember if you fed your dear one these treats that are made in China.  It's shocking how many testimonies there are to this.  Waggin' Treats has a Facebook page that is overrun by folks who have had this very same experience.  I am so grateful to the local family who alerted us to this via a news story. PLEASE check this out yourself.  We need to fight back to protect our charges.
Dear Gail,
I am so sorry about your German Shepherd. I did not know about kidney failure in dogs until Gracie became ill. Please don't second-guess yourself. All your actions were motivated by love. This disease is insidious. None of my friends who have dogs have ever even mentioned it. I, like you, second-guess myself as I deal with the quiet and emptiness that come after our beloved friend leaves us.
Now I know that increased thirst, urination, and sudden lack of appetite are symptoms. Maybe we can honor our pets by putting the word out there about kidney disease; I had no idea what people went through until I came across this site, searching for some explanation of my own experience. Please accept my condolences.
Yesterday I found this forum looking for what I might inspect and today my beloved Nale has died. She was a 9 and a half year old Golden retriever. She died in terminal stage of renal failure.
Three weeks ago we noticed that she started vomiting and we started giving her gastro regulating medications on our own. She also ate less and only specific food. Few days later, since situation was not better (stopped eating) we took her to the vet. She diagnosed her renal failure and immediately started IV and various medications. Vomiting stopped and she started eating and drinking again. We thought that we could save her. IV treatment lasted for a week but the creatinine and BUN levels worsened. We included ipactinine and continued IV but she stopped eating and started vomiting again. IV lasted for a few days more but next results of creatinine and BUN were dreadful. She was moving only several meters round the house from one favorite place to the other. We were desperate and gave up all medications knowing that we must say goodbye to our dear pup. Lost her weight so only bones could be seen. Vomiting was a strange slime. We considered putting her to sleep but since she was not in sharp pain decided not to. Last days she was lying on her place barely conscious. She lifted her head on time to time looking with her sad eyes as she was asking for help. But every drop of water we put her on her lips was vomited in fierce spasm.
Today she vomited two times. On the second time she died. Her heart stopped.
Somebody could say we should put her to sleep but we really did not want her to go on our will since she was not in sharp pain. After all she was the first of my past 4 dogs and 10-15 cats to die of natural causes.
As tears roll down my face I must warn all of you fellow dog lovers on right procedure I was not aware of. Every dog older than 5 years should have blood tested at least once a year. On the first signs of strange behavior consult your vet. If we noticed early signs of renal dissfunction  we could prolong her life significantly.
Miroslav
Miroslav...
I am so sorry to read about your beloved Nale.
You gave her 9 and a half wonderful years, and you did the best you could for her. This disease usually is not detected until most of the kidney function is lost, so I agree with you, that all dogs should get routine bloodwork as they start to reach middle age.  I know that I will be sure to request bloodwork for my dogs as they start to grow older.  I lost my beloved Yorkie, ( who was 15 years old, ) to this disease.  I would bring her to the vet yearly, for her annual exam, but It was never suggested that I have bloodwork done, and it was not anything that I ever considered to be part of her annual. So, unfortunately, her kidney disease was not caught, until she became symptomatic.  I now advocate for others to be sure to get their dogs bloodwork checked yearly, as they get older.  
Thank you for taking the time to post your story.
It will be helpful to others.
Nale died in the comfort and safety of her home, with the people she loves.
God Bless her beautiful Spirit and Soul...she is much loved.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy...
Connie
My 5 year old beagle mix is fighting kidney failure also.  We found out about 6 months ago but he didnt show any symptoms till last month.  He began with not eating, vomiting and other diarrhea,  His BUN level was off the charts over 115,  after staying at the dog hospital for 3 nights we made a choice to try doing IVs at home.  So far it has been about two weeks and almost back to his old self.  He is eating alot and has quite a bit of energy.  I know this may only be temporary but we are enjoying every moment with him.  Even the time we spend giving him an IV has been peaceful and comforting to all of us.  I agree that it is even more difficult when you have to go through this with such a young dog.  I just cant believe something this cute and cudly could be so sick.  I know we are doing the best we can and we can only continue the fight for so long.  But for now at least he is an awesome dog.
Well done for doing so much for your best friend. It is gratifying to know that you managed to catch this early enough to be able to extend his life, even if just for a short while, which means he can enjoy being with you and you with him. If he could speak he would say a huge 'thank you.' I sincerely hope he stays well for as long as possible. Big hugs, Tony
Hi,  sorry to hear about your beagle.   I hope you are able to keep her healthy.   5 years is young to get kidney disease.  My dog passed away almost two months ago and he had just turned 8 which is also considered young.   I am still on this forum because I am still searching for answers on why it happened.   It may have been hereditary as vets say but it also may have have been something else that could have been prevented.   One disturbing thing is there are a lot of posts about dog treats from china causing kidney issues.  I never would have intentionaly fed my dog treats made in china but i have since learned that i did as the packaging was designed to hide where it was made.  What treats do you remember feeding your dog?   There is a a brand of chicken strips sold in widely in cvs and kmart that has been investigated by the fda although they havn't been banned.  They are called waggin tails and many complaints about this.  Another disturbing thing is there is a lot of literature about overvaccinations causing kidney issues in dogs.   Many of the leading vet schools are saying that elder dogs should not be vaccinated but many routine vets are still doing this as vaccines represent a large piece of their income.   When the average person goes into a vets office,  we listen to what ever the vets say because we dont know any better.  I am disturbed that there was no slowing down of my dogs annual vaccinations as he became a senior dog.

You are absolutely right about vaccinations and annual boosters. I have done a lot of research into this and I am now firmly of the opinion that from mid-life to older, dogs should have annual blood tests at the vets to check what their immunity is like to the various canine illnesses/viruses. If their immunity proofs to be effective, then it is better not to vaccinate. Other than kidney disease, there is also a substantial rise in cancerous tumours relating to vaccination sites, so even if boosters are required, it's better to change the usual neck scruff site to the hind leg instead. The reason being that if a tumour does develop, at least their can be an amputation (if necessary) and the dog can still survive and have a good life. Tony
BUMP......
Thanks for your warm comments.  We didnt feed him alot of treats other then Milk Bones.  He is not doing as well right now and is refusing to eat.  I am trying to get him intrested in other foods but he sniffs and walks away.  This gets very frustrating.  He was treated for dehydration but it didnt help the eating at all.  
I'm sorry your best friend is not as good today. I'm hoping this is merely a blip and he will bounce back again. The nature of this dreadful illness means there are some good days and some bad, with the bad days becoming more frequent as time goes on. Is he on anti-nausious medication? If not, it is worth trying as it's the nausia that causes many dogs with kidney disease to stop eating. Like me with my dog (last year and before she passed), you have probably tried all kinds of foods - but if you haven't tried Green Tripe, give it a go. Most dogs love it and it's full of good nutrients and even my ailing dog ate it before she stopped eating completely. You can buy this at most good pet stores in tinned form or in frozen blocks (the latter needs cooking and stinks during the process, but it's good for dogs and gives that boost of energy so much needed). Good luck and do keep us up to date on how things go. Tony
I am sorry to read that your dog is not eating.
As Tony mentioned, anti-nausea medication may help.
Your dog may also be at the point where he is starting to get ulcers in his intestinal track and /or mouth. It may be time to get him started on anti-ulcer medication.
Both of these medications are inexpensive, and may make your dog more comfortable, and willing to eat.
It also sounds like he may need to start using a phosphorus binder....again, this is inexpensive, and may help your dog to feel better.
If you are not already using these medications, talk with your vet...It may help your dog feel more comfortable.
I have read many positive comments about the Green Tripe...so it would be worth a try if you can find it.
It is so nice to read that the Sub-Q fluids are going well for you. Keep up the good work.
Please let us know how things are going for you...
Connie
I feel so fortunate to have found this site. My dear, dear 12 year old farm dog, Bill, was diagnosed with kidney failure today..tomorrow we find what stage. It all happened truly so fast. I am heartbroken. Reading others words has helped me immensely..I know I will fall apart when the time comes to let Bill go but having others share their sentiments when in the same journey is touching..just wanted to say a thank you to all.
I am sorry to hear about Bill.
I hope that you have caught his disease while it is in the early stages.
I will be thinking about you both, so please check back in with us, and let us know how things go.
Give Bill a hug from me....and one for yourself as well.
Connie
I am so very sorry to hear about Bill. This is a traumatic condition and I am always heartbroken when I hear another cherished 'best friend' is suffering from it. My heart goes out to you. Come back to us when you feel able and let us know what stage he's at - there are many on here that can offer useful advice/information for you which will help Bill, regardless of how far the disease may have progressed. I am thinking about you during this difficult time. Tony
We are sitting here heartbroken as well - we found out today that our 10 year old yellow lab is in kidney failure.  His BUN level is at 13.5.  I have no idea what stage that is, but from what my vet says its pretty bad.  He has lost 10 pounds and looks so skinny.  He started vomiting last week - the vet gave him some meds and he is keeping down hamburger and rice in small amounts.  He still tries to steal food from the table, which I take as a good sign.  He seems very restless.  I don't want to see him suffer, but I have a hard time putting him down when he is still wagging his tail and bringing me toys.  The vet says he will let us know when it is time.  I am at a loss.  She couldn't give me any idea how much time he has left - I'm guessing a week at this rate, from reading all your stories.  Thanks for listening.  We are all in this together,.
Hi. Firstly, may I say how sorry I am that your dog has had this diagnosis at your vet. Reading our stories on here has probably been quite traumatic for you, but it is better to be forewarned than going through this dreadful illness in ignorance, so at least you should now have a lot of useful information and also be prepared should things go badly.

All that said, on the face of it, your dog's bloodwork doesn't seem that bad (normal values are between 10 and 20 for an adult dog). So this may be a fairly early stage of kidney disease. I am surprised your vet hasn't suggested starting treatment, as it would be your dog's response to treatment that would more likely suggest a good or bad prognosis. It would be helpful to know what your dog's creatinin levels were recorded at (assuming your vet did these essential tests).

Losing weight is symptomatic of kidney disease, but given the right foodstuffs, he may even put some of this weight back on over the next few weeks.

I would suggest first talking to your vet and asking what treatments he would suggest - but press for fluid therapy, his reccommended diet (also check back on this site for some excellent info on diets for kidney disease), the use of phosphorous binders, B-vitamin supplementation, gastrointestinal protectants such as cimetidine, and omega fatty acid supplementation.

These are just a few things that could potentially give you and your dog an extended period of time together - in some cases where treatment began early enough, this regime has added years onto a dog's lifespan.

Come back and let us know what your vet has to say about these things - and keep checking back as well for other comments as there are other people on here that know more than I do about this disease and how best to treat it in the early stages.

My message then is ... don't give up yet. Things may not be as bad as they first might have seemed. Tony
Thanks again for all the advice.  It is really nice to have support!  He still isnt eating and I will give tripe a try (if I can stand it)  He is on anti nausea meds but the problem I am having now is he will not touch his pill pockets so I have had to force it down.  It stresses both of us out.  He manages to keep the pill in his mouth till I walk away and then spit it out.  Sub Q fluids are still going well I just dont know if it is helping anymore,  I will check with the doctors about the ulsers and meds for it.  The Vet bills are really starting to add up so I am trying to see the vet as little as possible.  It cost about 100 each visit  plus when we kept him in the hospital for a 3 days about a month ago it was over 1000.  Have to make some of my decisions based on money but it got to a point I had to.  The fluid bags were 20 each at the vet then I found them for 4.50 on line,  This helped because I use about a bag a day.  Thanks again for all the help.  You really are making this a much easier process.
Nice job finding the fluid bags. My dog passed away from kidney disease beginning of December last year.  I was able to afford everything the vets recommended.  I spent $12,000 in less than a month and the only thing which i think made my dog feel better was the daily fluids.  The truth is vets dont know enough about this disease to catch it early,  and they dont know enough about it or have any good medicines to effectively treat it once it is later stages.  They are in the dark about this and i dont know why there is not more education so pet owners can recognize symptoms earlier.   I went to leading dog kidney specialists (there arnt many) and there was nothing they could do and they failed to determine at what stage my dog was at before he passed away.  If you do hear how much time your dog has left,  you will probably hear months or maybe years.  Translation:  They have no clue.  Hope and prey for the best.   You are giving your dog a life of love which is more than the millions of dogs who get euthanized or abused each year in the US.  
Hi...I'm sorry to hear that your dog is still not eating, and he does not want to take his pills. If  trying to get him to swallow the pill is stressing you both out, then it really isn't doing either of you any good. I know how much you want to help him, and I also know you don't want to turn his remaining time into a struggle.

If you can't get him to swallow the pills, you can crush the pill. (between two spoons)
Mix it with a small amount of water...suck it into a syringe, and give it to him that way.  Just tuck the syringe into the side of his mouth / cheek...and gently squirt the mixture into his mouth. This worked for me and my dog.
You can get a medicine syringe from your vet, or you can usually find one at Target, Kmart, Walgrens...etc.  in the pharmacy.
Another thing you can try is to boil some chicken. When the chicken is cool, you can mush and shape it around the pill. Your dog might be willing to eat it.  
Is your dog eating a kidney diet dog food...?  If he is, maybe you could tempt him with some of the dog food he use to eat...?
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dog....
May I ask you what his name is...?
Connie
Hi..
I am so sorry your dog has kidney disease. I know how heartbreaking it was for you to hear that from your vet.
If you want to know what stage of the disease your dog is in, just make a phone call to your vet and ask them. They should be able to tell you.
Also, while you are on the phone, ask them what your dogs levels were.
Ask about....BUN....Creatinine..and Phosphorus...or better yet, just pick up a copy of the lab work. ( The number you have given for BUN does not sound right to me.)
.
It is encouraging that since your dog received his med, he is eating something and keeping it down. Is it a medication for nausea..?
Did the vet suggest doing IV therapy....to flush the kidneys..? This is something that usually is done for 2 or 3 days at the vets office.
Also, as Tony suggested, you could ask about doing fluid therapy ( sub-q ) at home.
What type of treatments has your vet suggested...?
Please tell us more....
May I ask you what your dogs name is...?
Connie
My dogs name is Chester.  As far as food goes, when he stoped eating the kidney food,  we switched him to ground turkey and rice and ate that like crazy for about 3 weeks.  Now I am just trying to feed him whatever he seems intrested in but right now it is nothing.  Thanks for the help with the pills.  I will give that a shot.  I have a pill popper it only works if  I get it almost all the way down his troat.  Thanks for your help and kind words.
Thanks for your comments on my dog and I am so sorry about your situation.  They havent really spoke about time yet.  When things were really bad about 1 month ago, The vet suggested the Sub Q fluids instead of putting him down at that point.  I am so glad we did that because we really have had some quality time with him over these last 3 weeks.  One of the amazing things happening right now is that he is so clingy to us and wants to be right next to us all the time.  He was never a lap dog but now he is trying to be. He may be doing this because he is not feeling well or maybe he knows something we dont.
Very sorry to report that we had to put Chester down last night.  He went about 4 days without eating and began to retain water.  The Vet said his kidneys were shutting down and the vessels are not bringing fluids to his heart.  It was such a hard decision to make but we knew we made the right one.  The most painful thing is that we only had 4 years to enjoy this beautiful 5 year old.  We just were not ready to let go but we knew given the circumstances we had to.  I keep saying to myself it is the quality of time we had and we truley had some great quality especialy in the last 4 weeks.  Thanks for all your help,  This has been very helpful and comforting.
I am so sorry to hear about Chester. The sadness is emphasised so much more when this disease strikes down a relatively young dog. You must be heartbroken. At the same time, please remember you did what had to be done in the name of kindness to Chester. My heart goes out to you. Even though he had a very short time on this Earth, he was so lucky to have spent it with a loving family and enjoy experiences and happy times throughout his life - and of course, you were equally lucky to have had Chester in your lives, a dog that became a family member and who no doubt has provided so many cherrished memories. Run free Chester. Tony
Thanks for all your kind words and help durring this. I have been through the death of a pet before but this one has been the most difficult and painful for me and my family. We have been through so much and I feel we are also exhausted.  I will keep in touch with this forum because maybe I can add something to someone else going through a like situation.  I am going to make my first move in making something positive by giving his remaining unused IV bags and sets to our local Animal Shelter.  I really became much more aware of Kidney Disease in pets and what families go through.  Once again you have been a huge help to me and my family.
Thank you for your very kind words. The death of a pet runs very deep in our emotions. Our 'best friends' give us unconditional love, affection and loyalty - and grieving for Chester will take time. It is very raw right now, I know, but hopefully you and your friends and family can provide support to all that knew and loved Chester during the next few days, weeks and months. This forum is also here for you, whenever you need it ... feel free to talk about Chester and the wonderful life you gave him.

Yes, kidney disease in our dogs has given many of us a learning curve to travel along - even though none of us expected or wanted to have to travel this path. It is a harrowing condition - and we all hope more time and money can be given to research, so that better and more effective treatments can be found.

Again, please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family. Chester will never be forgotten. With love and best wishes from the UK, Tony
I have been following these posts for some time as a source of support and comfort after our wonderful Yorkie of 7 years had to be euthanized in September, 2011, as a result of kidney failure. Like others, we tried to pull her through over a two week period, but it was not possible. I so empathsize with all the pet parents on this site who have lost their beloved best friends and who have gone through this awful and tragic process.

Now, it has been brought to my attention that there may be a link to chicken jerky treats made in China. The FDA issued a warning on November 18, 2011 due to over 300 complaints from pet owners and vets, and now there are hundreds more and postings all over the Internet. Senator Sherrod Brown on February 13th spoke on the Senate floor urging Congress and President Obama to recall these products and also find a better way to warn the public. My grief has only been renewed because we had unknowingly been feeding our wonderful, sweet Abby some of these treats over the summer. A package of them had been given to my brother by a friend, and we did not think anything of it since they were under the name of a well known brand and say a USA Company on the package. it is only recently that I have gone back to the shelf of a major store to inspect the packaging and found in small print the Made in China labeling. I don't know if this has happened to others on this site. I did read of one. Please be aware. I am trying to warn everyone know.
i am going through the samething as we speak i have to put my baby down tonight a beautiful 4 year old rottweiler went from 80 pounds to 30 pounds within weeks  i am so saddened an very sick over this i do not want to let go it hurts so badly to watch her slowly slip away  i have tried every thing ivs at home anything she wants icecream steak she just turns her head away so i feel your pain and god bless everyone who loves animals
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Four years was very young to have to battle against this dreadful condition. It was nice that you tried all kinds of treats, as I did with my lurcher BB before she passed away last November, but in the final stages, dogs just sniff and turn away from even being tempted by such favourites. This is a heartbreaking illness. Again, please accept my sincere condolences. Tony
I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. You have done the best you can for her. To watch your friend go from 80 to 30 pounds in a matter of weeks is heartbreaking. I feel your pain and know only to well, how difficult it will be for your to say good-bye, but, sometimes saying Good-Bye is the best thing we can do for them. My heart goes out to you.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy..
God Bless your dogs Beautiful Spirit and Soul...she is much loved.
Connie
thank you everyone persephone went peacefully this evening the vet said she had no circulation left which made her pass quickly i am so very heart broken over this it really hurts bad i tried every thing i feel like i let her down i will truly miss her and always love her thank you for your thoughts and prayers  and god bless
Rest in Peace Persephone.....You were a lucky dog to live your life in the company of someone who loves you....You and your owner were blessed to find each other.
Run Free, and know that you will always be loved.
Hi, I took my 14 year old lab to the vet earlier this week to see if i could get some medication for her arthritis. the vet gave me some previcox but also took blood at the same time as they needed to find out if the kidney and liver were ok enough to tolerate the medication over a period of time. she called me the next day and told me the kidney and liver are not good and to stop the medication. She also informed me that my dog has stage 3 renal failure.  I knwo there is no cure, and i certainly do not want her to be in pain. It sounds like those who have done treatments only buys them a little time. Hershey still enjoys walks, is eating rice mixed with canned dog food just fine. she is not to the stage of vomitting and not eating.  I have scheduled an appointment to put her down but am questioning my decision. From your experience is it really fair to extend their life even a little bit knowing that they are in pain?  i am so torn up about this :(
Stage 3 is not the final stage of kidney failure, which means your dog still has some kidney function. Stage 4 usually means the kidneys are at or less than 25 per cent functioning. If your dog is eating and drinking ok and seems otherwise happy and contented, going for walks, and so on, then I would urge you to start treatment straight away (your vet can help with various meds, including I/V fluids if they think this is appropriate). There are also some very good dog foods now on the market which are specifically designed for dogs in renal failure, and I would suggest getting some of this and starting to ween your dog onto it as soon as possible.

14 is a good age, but given the right treatment now, you could have your dog in your life for months and possibly even a year or two longer. I personally wouldn't consider euthanasia until such time as my dog was clearly suffering - but the decision is entirely yours, of course, as you know your dog better than anyone.

There is no cure for kidney disease - but you can slow the deterioration down substantially with the right meds and foods. There is a huge amount of good info on this site about kidney disease, mainly from owners with dogs suffering from it that have learned what to do and how to do it as they have gone along.

There is also a brief page of info on dietary requirements and a small amount of other info on kidney disease in dogs (a good starting point for you) at http://www.vetinfo.com/canine-kidney-disease-treatment.html

I hope you don't give up on your dog just yet ... my heart goes out to you. I know how heartbreaking this news must have been - but it doesn't have to be the end of the road just yet. Tony
it is 14/3/12 6.11am, i have been up all night, laying with my beautiful bichon frisse Caspar, who, at 9.15am today is off to the vets for the last time, he has end stage renal failure. i only found out last wednesday, and he has deteriorated so, so quickly, he can no longer walk, sit up, eat, go to the toilet. he did manage to have a lovely big drink of water all on his own last night.
i am so upset, and all i do is cry, i cannot imagine him not being here anymore, and am feeling physically sick at the thought of going to the vets in 3 hrs time.
It sounds as though your experience with Casper is very similar to my own last November with my beautiful lurcher BB, who deteriorated at the same rate and all within a few days from getting the diagnosis. This is a dreadful and shockingly fast end-stage of the illness, and I am so very sorry for you and for Casper having to go through this. We love our dogs so deeply and with such conviction that we would do absolutely anything to gain more time, but this illness steals that ability from us. All we can do is 'the right thing' to help our best friends - even though it is utterly heartbreaking to do it. Be strong for your dog. Looking at the time of your post I assume Casper is now at sleep, no longer suffering. You have done the right thing, not for you maybe, but certainly for Casper. Run free Casper. Big hugs from me and all other dog lovers on this site. Tony
it is now 3.03pm, i am so utterly lost, sad, and upset, i now have caspar home with me after his cremation this afternoon, but i am so upset, i have a beautiful oak casket with my beautiful caspar's ashes in it, but it does not feel it to me, i know he is in there, but i cannot associate it with him.
i feel so lost and in complete despair
Use this space to talk about Casper, and about yourself and how you feel. I will call back as often as I can to respond. I can't really help you in your grief, I wish I could, but I and others are always here to support you during this dreadful time. All I can say is, as each day passes, things will get easier, though of course Casper will never be forgotten. In time, you will remember the happy times you both shared. Our dogs never live as long as we would like, but they sure make a huge impact in the short time they are here with us. Casper was lucky to have shared his life with you - and you were lucky to have shared part of your life with him. Big hugs, Tony
I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend.
I have tried to reply before this, but find myself in tears.
I too, had my sweet little TwoBits euthanized because of kidney failure.
It is something, as you say...that leaves you...lost and in complete despair.
I know how difficult this time is for you, and my heart goes out to you.
As Tony has mentioned, please use this place to talk about Casper and How you are feeling. We do understand your loss and we are willing to listen and offer whatever support we can.
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy...
God Bless Casper's Beautiful Spirit and Soul...he is much loved.
Connie
I am sorry about your loss of Casper.  I know exactly what you are going through.  Kidney disease in dogs is terrible.  Lost my best friend last december.  Putting a dog to sleep when they are in final stages is not something you do to a dog,   it is something you do for them.  It is the last kind thing you can do for them.  Not even the best vet medicine in the world can do anything for these dogs.  So there was nothing you could have done in final stages,  trust me i know.  I tried everything and it was useless. So the first thing i can say to you is dont blame yourself.  If you feel very sad and depressed,  that is absolutely expected and normal because you lost a friend you cared about and only you (no one else) knows what it is like to lose that friend.   And only you know how long you should feel sad and depressed.   If you feel mad,  that is ok too but dont be mad at yourself.  Be mad at routine vets who dont do enough to educate pet owners about this terrible disease.   It can be detected before it is too late if they offered routine blood tests.  But this is not part of the "standard of care".  Or you can be mad at the large biotech companies who make millions and millions of dollars from selling pet vaccines but are doing nothing to come up with better ways to prevent, detect or treat kidney disease.  Or be mad at those same routine vets who insist on giving full vaccinations to older dogs even though leading vet schools now advise against this.  Or you can be mad at whoever in customers or wherever allows dog treats and dog food to be imported from china and other non regulated places even though there are so many complaints about these imports causing kidney issues in dogs.   But dont be mad at yourself.  When i lost my dog i never thought i would go back to any of his favorite places such as a huge wooded area around a reservoir near boston.  But i still go there every weekend by myself .  I still end up crying every time i go there but i feel close to him there.  I have his ashes in my upstairs room,  sitting in a box which i have placed in one of his favorite beds.  I dont know what to do with them so they will stay there until i know.   You would be surprised at how many people have gone through or are going through the same thing you are but not enough is being done to stop this from continuing.  Hang in there!
My heart goes out to all of the pet lovers on this site. When you love your pet this much they are more a part of the family than just a pet.
We are just hours away from letting our 11 year old lab " Abby " go. She has been dignosed with Chronic Renal failure. She had a "good day" yesterday so we put off letting her go. But the more I read about this condition we are not going to let our friend go through that. So we are are just making her as comfortable as possible, petting and talking to her until then. She has been a faithful companion. I will miss her greetings and our walks together.
Hello & welcome to the forum....I suppose "Abby" has already crossed the bridge by now.....I'm sorry that I didn't get here, sooner....
My heart goes out to you and your family.......Please know you did the right thing.....
Thank you for loving her for 11 years.....She was very lucky to have a devoted family......
The grief will be over-whelming for awhile.....It will ease with time....Take comfort in knowing that you eased her suffering & made the unselfish decision to let her go.....Come back if you feel the need...We here, understand your pain & will help you through it......Until then, I wish you Peace.....Sincerely, Karla

"THE RAINBOW BRIDGE"

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rest In Peace "Abby"
Run free Abby. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. This is a heartwrenching illness - and decisions like the one you have been brave enough to make are never easy. Big hugs, Tony
thank you so much for the kind words. Loved the Rainbow Bridge
thank you
it's now 9 days since my lovely little bichon caspar went to sleep, and it is still no easier, i am back at work this evening, and can't even face going in, i am at a complete loss as to what to do for the best, no one seems to understand just how heartbreaking it has been, and all around me seem to be of the opinion that i should be 'ok' by now, and pull myself together. i still have my other bichon who is 11yrs old next month, but it is just not the same, he is not caspar.
i collected my engraved personalised candle from the pet crematorium yesterday, and it just hit me so hard again that caspar is never coming back, i know he is at peace now, but i am not, i can't seem to fully explain how i feel, which frustrates me, i just feel so many different emotions even throughout a single day.

the picture that is now on my posts and profile is my lovely little bichon caspar, taken the day before he went to sleep.
That's a lovely picture of Casper. No one can say when you will feel better about things. Grief affects everyone differently - and for some, it can take months before the grief calms down enough for us to get on with our lives. Nine days is nothing at all, so (to me at least) I am not even slightly surprised that you still feel the way you do. Give it another month - then see if, by comparison, you feel a little better. It might be useful to start keeping a diary, as this will help you recognise the day by day and week by week changes that occur. I lost my beautiful 12yr old lurcher BB last November and I can tell you, I still have days when I can't concentrate on anything, because she fills my heart and head. Then there are other days, when life seems normal and I can get on with things.

The bad days do slowly but surely subside, but they never truly leave us completely. Hell, I still get a tinge of sadness when I think of all my lost dogs going right back to childhood. I believe losing a dog, particularly one that has been especially close, is as bad and sometimes even worse than losing a human from our lives. People don't always understand that, but that's ok, it doesn't make it wrong or right or unusual - it's just something that IS that way for some people.

I can also understand how you might not feel quite the same about your other dog. As you say, he is not Casper. But of course, your other dog will be missing Casper too - and he will need you to be strong for him, to reassure him everything's alright and that he is loved. Our best friends rely on us so much - and they give us so much back in return.

I'm hoping as the days roll forward you start to feel a little better. I would suggest not analysing things too much. Just allow the grief to proceed naturally - and cry when you need to. Always come back here to talk, whenever you need ... there's always a sympathetic and understanding ear here for you. Big hugs, Tony
My heart goes out to you...What a wonderful picture of Caspar...I already Love him, too...
Grief is a powerful thing....It's the price we pay for "LOVE"! You are not alone & yes, some people do not understand...It's OK....I feel sorry for those that don't "Get It", but they don't....
We are here for you and your thoughts....Take care of your other guy as he grieves, too...The two of you can make each other feel better...
Each day will be alittle better...Soon, you will be able to smile through the tears.....It won't go away, but your heart will get better with time...
I'm still mourning the loss of my last one & sometimes just break down in tears...It's been over 3 years, but it still happens.....
You are in my thoughts & prayers and I hope time will heal your heart.....Take care of yourself and your other guy...I so Love those Bichonly creatures!!!!  Sincerely, Karla
thankyou so much for your kind words and support, it does help an awful lot to have others who also understand how hard it is when you lose a beloved pet.
love and prayers to each and everyone of you.
sharon
xx
You are very welcome Sharon. I hope the sun is shining just a little brighter on your day today. Tony
hi, i'm not sure who else to ask, so i'll post it here, as you all know, i lost my lovely sweet 14yr old bichon caspar 15 days ago, i have another bichon, tigger, who is nearly 11yrs old, and since losing caspar, tigger has been a bit down, not himself etc.., but, for the last 3 nights out of 4, at around 3am-4am he has woken up, barked 2-3 times then starts whimpering and hides under our bed (he has always slept in our room, as did caspar, who used to sleep next to tigger in his own bed)
am i being too spooked, or can tigger sense caspar? (i have caspars casket next to my pillow on the bed at night)
has anyone else's dog behaved like this when they lose one of their canine friends?
i know i am maybe looking for an explanation where there isn't one, but it is not like tigger at all, and there is no noise outside our house.
any advice would be appreciated.
thankyou, sharon. x
Hi Sharon. I have experienced similar 'events' with my remaining dog, Giro, after we lost our beautiful girl BB to kidney failure last November. My two dogs were very close and one never went anywhere without the other. While Giro undoubtedly misses BB, he is able to get on with his daily round of sniffing here there and everywhere and generally is back to his old self. Dogs don't grieve like us humans, but they certainly show the signs of missing another dog, particularly one that they have shared their lives with. The pack regime changes, and the remaining dog has to come to terms with it in his or her own way.

In your case, I think waking up in the middle of the night and not having Casper at his side means he is missing both his pack-member and perhaps some warmth, if they laid next to one another. Imagine being in a pack - and then suddenly not having your pack with you - it must be quite frightening. More so, because Tigger (great name that) is now the alpha in his isolated pack and therefore thinks he should take over guard duties, etc., even though this may well be the last job he ever wanted to do.

It will take time for him to settle down - but he will, eventually, so try not to fret over it. In a couple of months, he will probably be back to his old self. In the meantime, just keep reassuring him that everything's ok. Tony
Hi Sharon,
What a nice picture of Caspar. I am sure that Tigger misses him as much as you do. It will be an adjustment for both of you to continue without him, and I know only too well, that it is not an easy adjustment to make.
It has been almost 6 months since TwoBits has left my side. I have to say, that TwoBits doggy companions have adjusted to her being gone, much more quickly than I have.

I agree with Tony, it sounds like Tigger is missing having Caspar by his side. Caspar gave Tigger leadership, security, warmth and companionship.
It sounds like this is the first time in Tigger's life, that he has had to sleep alone, and may be feeling insecure when he wakes up, and Caspar is not there.  So, I would say that you do not need to be spooked....I don't THINK...?  that Tigger can sense that Caspar is there.  I think,the problem is  that Tigger can sense that Caspar is NOT THERE...

There is one more thing I would like to mention...if Tigger can see the casket on the bed,,,Tigger might be barking at the casket because it is something that has never been there before, and he might think it does not belong there.  My dogs are very sensitive to things that they consider are not "normal" and will bark at the object until I check it out, tell them it's nothing, let them sniff it, and or move it.  

It will take some time for Tigger to adjust, in the meantime, you could try putting a small pillow, blanket, or stuffed toy in Tiggers bed. Something to snuggle with, might help him to sleep better.
I know it will be hard, but do your best to keep a positive and upbeat attitude with Tigger. Try to keep things as normal as possible for both of you.

Be sure to let us know how things are going....Take care...
Connie  

I have a 3 year old female Collie named Cedar.  I had her since she was 10 weeks old.  She was always a "strange" dog, never played much, didn't like to eat, had bladder issues, etc.
My vet overlooked her issues as bladder infections & "that's just how she is".  After about 1 1/2 years, I left Cedar at the vet insisting something was wrong with her & run all the tests that you can on her.
Well she did, and we found out that her kidneys never developed properly.  A year ago she was diagnosed with Stage 4 Renal Failure & wasn't expected to live past fall.
Well, it's spring & she's still here.  Although she goes downhill & I think I will have to put her down, then she bounces back again.
She's not feeling well today & may have to put her down tomorrow, Bonnie
hi all, i thought about it last night, and decided to put caspar's casket into his bed that he always used to sleep in, i moved it over to my husband's side of the bed where caspar used to go and sleep sometimes on the floor, and tigger was fine all night, no barks, spooks, nothing.
so, thankyou all for your comments tonyb286 and twobitsmom, it is such a great help to know i am not facing all this on my own, you've helped me so much, thankyou.

sharon.x
Oh wow, for Cedar to have survived this long is amazing. In many ways, your story gives us all hope, because 4th stage kidney failure can become fatal so very quickly. You have done an extraordinary job with her - and she must equally be an extraordinary dog to have survived all this time, given her dreadful start in life. I hope she manages to 'bounce back' again, giving you both a little extra time to share your lives together. Big hugs, Tony
Hi Sharon. It's good to hear you all had a peaceful night's sleep last night. Let's hope this is the start of Tigger (and you and your husband) starting to recover from the very traumatic time you've all had to endure. You are all in my thoughts. Tony
Thank you all for sharing your stories. Im sobbing as Im reading them. My baby Coco, a 14 year old chocolate lab, was put to sleep yesterday and Ive been heartbroken beyond imagination. We had her since she was 6 weeks old. Her kidneys had been slowly failing for some time, but she never showed a symptom or any change in her behavior whatsoever. That all ended Thursday when all the end stage symptoms hit at once. By Saturday she was unable to walk, vomiting several times a day and leaking urine all over herself. She refused to drink or eat anything no matter how much I tried to help her. When we took her to the vet Saturday morning, I new in my heart that she was probably not coming home again. She was treated overnight, but got worse by Sunday morning. We knew we had to let her go, but it was the most painful decision weve ever made. Reading all of your stories has helped me tremendously. Im sure I still face much sadness and grief, but youve all helped me feel better about our choice.
Hi. I am so very sorry for your loss. Coco was a lucky girl to have lived a life so full of love and devotion. I hope you and your family feel some small element of relief that she is no longer suffering, even though I know how much it hurts you to feel like you do right now. Time will help. As each day passes, the pain of losing her will subside, and eventually you will be able to remember all the years of happiness you shared with her - and you will be able to smile about these memories, rather than cry. My heart goes out to you. Big hugs, Tony
I have read many posts that have given me better understanding of kidney failures in dogs.  I just came back from the vet to learn that my dog Dorah has kidney failure.  In these short few hours I have been a wreck in wondering what I could have done different or why I have not seen signs.  In three days she went from a normal happy dog to throwing up all the time, sleeping and being very much to herself.  The vet explained to me that her levels are off the charts.  The vet is keeping her for a couple of days under an IV to rehydrate her to flush the toxins out.  She is in bad shape but I owe it to her and could not handle always wondering what if.  I am hopeful that Friday comes with good news but again her levels are off the charts.  She is and always will be my best freind.  Dogs are truly a mans best friend:)  Thanks again everyone
Hi. I am sorry to hear about Dorah's diagnosis. It sounds like your vet is doing his best for her and trying to gain some time for both of you. Hopefully, after the IV fluids, she may perk up. Did the vet say what stage of kidney failure it is? How old is Dorah? Tony
My almost 16 year old Jack Russell Daisy  was diagnosed with kidney failure a few months ago.She has steadily lost weight and weighs a mere 8 lbs when she should weigh 12. We changed her food and kept her happy. 2 weeks ago today my 14 year old daughter found Daisy in the backyard unable to move.  We scooped her up and took her to the vet. They told me she was very sick, although she was eating and drinking and even going on short walks, they gave her about 20 days.  Last week we made and canceled an appointment to put her to sleep, she was still eating and enjoying being a dog. Yesterday she was playing in the yard for a while with me. Today she refused her dog food. I tried some homemade soup, which she threw up. I tried giving her a dog treat which she refused. She did eat a small piece of cheese. Except for not eating and being more wobbly than she has been, she seems ok although a bit restless and less excited about going outside or greeting people.
  THe very last thing I want is for her to suffer at all.  She is an old dog and has given our family nothing but joy.  I knew when the time wasn't right to put her to sleep, but how will I know when the time IS right?
Hi Christina. I am so very sorry to read your post about Daisy. I went through exactly the same process with my 12 year old lurcher last November - as have many others with their own dogs in 4th stage kidney failure on here. It is a harrowing illness and, because dogs rarely show signs of suffering or pain until the very end, we owners are often left in a helpless and shocked situation.

Has your vet suggested trying anti-nausia meds? As daisy is fairly perky still, it may help her to take in some food (the toxins building up inside her will make her feel nauxious most of the time, which is why they don't eat - even though eating helps gain some strength and so is very important - it's also of course most dogs biggest pleasure in life).

As your vet has said about 20 days, I am assuming this is 4th stage kidney failure. Sadly, at this stage, there is very little you can do. There is no cure, though sometimes IV fluids can help early on, again this is something worth asking your vet about to get his opinion.

As to when is the right time (the question we all dread even thinking about), all I can say is - you WILL know. Daisy will give you a certain look and you will see in her eyes that she has had enough and wants to say goodbye. This is when you will need all of your kindness and strength to help her on her way. 16 years is a fabulous age. If Daisy could speak she would tell you a huge thank you for giving her such a wonderful life and for supplying so much love and affection.

Over the next days or weeks, Daisy will lose her interest in things. She may stop walking around - and just lie in her bed for most of the time. It is likely she will continue to refuse food (though please try to get her on anti-nausia meds, as this will help). You may notice she developes a bad breath - this is the odour of the toxins building up inside her - and she may seem disorientated and confused at times. Keep trying to get her to drink fresh water and lift her gently to go outside to urinate every couple of hours. This will also help keep her muscles active and stop them becoming rigid and painful. If she stops eating completely, you will know the time is getting close. She will need your reassurance that everything is going to be alright. Comfort her as best you can, giving her lots of hugs and kisses. Try not to become distressed while you are with her, as dogs can pick up on these emotions and become fretful.

This is heartbreaking, I know, but you are doing everything you can - and all I can say is please continue to update us when you can and feel free to talk here as often as you like. We all understand what you are going through. Big hugs from the UK, Tony
So very sorry to hear these stories. We had to have our 14 year old West Highland White Terrier, Charlie, put to sleep last. Tuesday, 10th April. I am totally grief stricken and feel so guilty that I didn't spot symptoms until it was too late. Charlie was my best friend. He helped me recover from two bouts of cancer and I so miss him. I put his sleepiness and reluctance to go out for walks down to old age. Why didn't I spot that he was Ill until it was too late? Could we have kept him longer? I feel that I failed him.
Sumo4 and Christina; I am so sorry for what you are going through; my real condolences for you Sumo4, I cant give you any consolation words because I lost my Tracy last April 1, Sunday at 9.50 pm PST. It is hard every day; I kid myself thinking i am getting better just to break down crying like a little kid; i too feel the same guilt as you do and hope for clousure some day. Christina you should do anything in your reach to provide confort for her; hughs like tony said, time spent; pics videos, care medicine, whatever it takes; i think it will be the only things you can fall back on after if you would have to go through what needs to be done at some point; that plus your memories from when she was not ill and those memories of the bond you guys share with her; will ultimatelly heal you. i am still in that process; its been to recently for me. al i can offer is my symphaties and my support. You guys are not alone here and this is a grat place to let go in writing what we dont normally in our life, after one very part of us leaves for a better place.
my thoughts are with you and your family. Same goes for you Sumo4
may the Lord give us the strenght to carry on during this terrible times
Really dorry to hear about your loss. Charlie was a lucky boy to have enjoyed 14 great years with you. This is a good age for a dog and it means he was quite an elderly chap, in doggy years. I can reassure you that it is very likely there was nothing whatsoever you could have done to have kept him going for much longer. 4th stage kidney failure often does not have any visible symptoms until it is near the end. I have learned that annual blood samples taken at the vets for testing is probably the only way of discovering this disease early on, but even that is not a certainty. Nonetheless, that is what I will be doing with my remaining dog from here on.

You did not fail Charlie. Quite the reverse. You gave him a wonderful life, full of love and contentment. What dog could ask for more. Big hugs, Tony
Daisy passed on April 13. She went fast and peacefully. I just think her little body couldn't handle another day. She died in her favorite place in the world, my lap. Our furry friends can't last forever, they get old, their bodies wear out, maybe if Daisy didn't have kidney failure she would have lived a bit longer, but not much. She also had a heart murmur due to old age, she was deaf, and couldn't see well.  She was just old. I am blessed to have loved her, and am blessed to miss her.

I am taking precautions with my other dog as well, blood testing and a diet change.  He is 13 and very healthy, I want to help keep him healthy as long as possible. I know eventually I will have to say goodbye to him, but in the meantime we will enjoy our time together.

Thank you all for the kind words and nuggets of wisdom. The pain of loosing our four legged companions can not compare to the joy of sharing their very short lives.
Sorry for your loss. May Lord give you and me and all of us the strenght we need to carry on; you were lucky to have her, she was lucky to have your love and to pass in your lap, where she knew you were there for her.
May God bless you and protect you in these difficult moments and always.
Thank You for your kind words. I am so sorry for your loss as well.  This is a wonderful place to express our sorrow.  My kids and my husband are so sad and fragile and while we provide comfort to each other, it appreciate having somewhere else to go.  

God's blessings be with you. It is clear that you were blessed with Tracy.  There are no words to ease the pain, only time and memories.
I am so sorry to read about Daisy, but what a lucky little dog to have shared her life with you. If she could have said it, she would have told you how grateful she was to have been with you right to the end - and that she had enjoyed a fabulous life, full of love and rich in experiences. My heart goes out to you in your loss. It is so very hard to lose the ones we love so deeply. Give your remaining 13 yr old a big hug from me, my guess is he's missing Daisy too. Tony
Hi Everyone.  My baby girl, Sprite was diagnosed with CRF on March 29, 2012 and it was later determined that she has Juvenile Renal Dysplasia.  She will only be one year old on May 10.  On March 29th, I took her in for an appointment to be spayed.  They did the pre-op blood work which showed she had renal failure.  Prior to that, with the exception of occasionally being a little picky when it came to meal times, one would have never known anything was wrong.  She spent three days at the vet receiving IV fluids.  Since that time, she has had good days, and bad days, until yesterday.  Day before yesterday, she ate her meals and took her meds. It was a very good day.  Yesterday she just wanted to lay in her bed and did not want to do anything.  The turn around is so drastic. Last night I had to carry her up to bed and this morning I had to carry her downstairs.  She only gets up to go potty. In addition to this, it is especially sad to see her cat brother, Spidey, run past her bed trying to get her to play and chase him.

I grew up with animals; dogs, cats, goats, horses, chickens, etc. and never had to put anything to sleep. Sprite is less than a year old and I am truly heart broken I am so torn on what I should do next.

Kari
Hi Kari. I was so saddened to read your post about Sprite. It is bad enough when older dogs gets kidney failure, but in one so young it is additionally tragic and heartwrenching. Has your vet advised or suggested any medication and has he/she given an indication of how far the renal failure has progressed? If you have read through the earlier posts on this thread you will probably already be aware of things that may be able to help such as I/V fluids, specialised foods and anti-nausia medication. If you haven't discussed these with your vet I would suggest doing so at the earliest opportunity. It may gain you considerable time with Sprite and help her to enjoy whatever time she has with you. Kidney failure is just about the worst thing I have ever had to deal with in all the time I have kept dogs. As you have discovered, the symptoms rarely show until the late stages, by which time it is often too late to do very much. I'm hoping in your case, something can be done to help - please let us know how things progress. Big hugs from the UK, Tony
Hi just bit sad this week its be 4 month that I my yorkie mitzy was put to sleep because the vet could not save her I no what you are all going throught please can you tell me dose it  get any better as the years go by marilyn
Hi Marilyn. Yes, it does get better, though there are days when it all seems to come flooding back. I lost my beautiful rescued lurcher BB last November, and though I still have what I call my "BB Days", when she fills my every waking minute, there are more days when life goes on with other distractions taking up my thoughts. I believe some of us probably grieve more over our lyal and loving dogs than we do over friends and relatives that pass on, probably because they mean so much to us, they are our friends and companions, and probably in some cases (including mine) our surrogate children. It is right and fitting that when they leave us, we find ourselves in deep emotional turmoil - after all, that's the cost of loving our dogs so much. But in the end, we have to accept that their lives are always shorter than we would like. That's just the way it is. But would we be without them just to not have to grieve? In my case, no, because they give so much happiness and companionship, it's worth suffering a little pain for all that they give us. Hoping you feel a little brighter today. Tony
Dear Tony, Your words of comfort to Marylin in April, have touched my heart today. At my feet is my loyal and loving Jasper who is in the final stages of CRF. We only found out last week on our vets recommendation we do a  blood check before he has his jabs on the 18th May. It was a surpise to us but also to our vet Nick, who has known him since he was a pup. The kidney ultra sound confirmed all our worst fears.

I know I am loosing him now, today is not a good day, he is not eating or drinking his filtered water at all and my Jasper looooves his food, so we know now it's time. Jasper doesn't want a ball and he doesnt want a walk, although he made the effort this morning with me to go 50 yards across to the forest. Yesterday he made an effort at all three, just very slowly and quietly. Today he has been very ill, bile and sleeping next to me all the while.

I am beside myself that tomorrow we will ask Nick to sedate him and then take away his pain. And ours too, as watching such a magnificent Dalmation at 7 years of age decline so rapidly is a shocking and painful experience. he has had so many visitors , with and without dogs who's lives he has touched come to say goodbye.

I'll try and post again, but I had to say thanks for your reassurance that we will come to terms with him going so soon from our lives.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all those here who have lost their beloved best friends, young and old.

My mum once told me that "The brightest stars burn for the shortest time" This is so true of our canine companions, who give us all the unconditional love in their hearts and ask for nothing except kindness care and the dignity they so deserve.

With love
Angie.

Jasper is very disoriented and lying down in strange places that he does not go to. We are stroking him and reassuring him, I just hope we haven't left it too late and that he is suffering. Its so hard when they cant tell you how they feel. He is still going to his area for his toilet, but evrytime he doeshe throws up as well, not had a drink for 5 hours. This will be the longest night of our lives. Fearful for the end. I love him so very much, my little fella.
Oh Angie, I am so very sorry. This is the hardest time for you, I know, and I sincerely hope you manage to hold yourselves together ok during the time from now until you can get Jasper to see Nick. It is lovely that your vet has known Jasper all his life, as that will help minimise any stress or anxiety for him. I can't tell you how much I empathise with your situation. My beautiful girl BB left this world in a similar way, not (seemingly) becoming ill until the last few days, then it was like she had dived off a cliff - all happening so suddenly and so shockingly. There are no words to comfort you that I can drum up, except perhaps that Jasper has been a very lucky dog. He found someone so caring, so loving and someone so prepared to give him so many experiences, so many happy times and so much care and attention. Yes, you have been lucky too, because you have shared part of your life and all of your heart with such a wonderful dog.

You are doing the right thing, even though it's also the hardest thing to do and the last thing you ever wanted to do - Jasper would thank you, if he could talk, for travelling with him along the path of life to this point and for helping end his suffering. My heart goes out to you. I know only too wel