5 yr. old Chocolate Lab, Head Tremors
Hello, I have an incredibly healthy, loving, a little overweight AKC Chocolate Lab. The night before Thanksgiving he got aggressive for the first time ever with me, or anyone for that matter. Showing teeth, growling and actually snapped at my hand while I was trying to get him to get down off the couch. The day after Thanksgiving he woke up from a short nap and his head started wobbling around. I called vet emergency, they had me bring him in. His blood tests came back all normal. So they ran a thyroid test and all the levels were low. They started him on Levothyroxine. Then 2 days later he had another head tremor. I called vet again, different one tells me she thinks he is having seizures and puts him on phenobarbital that day. I cant stand how lethargic he is. It is breaking my heart! About 10 days prior to his personality flip, he had started whining and whimpering at night in his crate and then it started to happen all through out the day. It is still going on. The Vet says he isn't in any pain. I don't believe that.... The original vet called me back last Wed. She had read the chart, I told her about the phenobarbital and she said she doesn't believe that he is actually having seizures, but I am to keep him on it and the thyroid meds for the next 2 weeks and then bring him back in for a check up. I just feel that he is in pain from something. Am I over reacting? Does anyone have any idea what this could all be about? Any help would be appreciated! ;(
A sudden behavioural change like that does show something is wrong, if he is normally sweet-natured.

I am sorry but I don't have any direct experience with seizures so am unsure.

But I have heard of what is called "Idiopathic Head Tremors" That is when a dog gets these symptoms but under testing, shows no neurological cause for them.

You might be interested to read this:

http://www.vetneurochesapeake.com/index.php?page=idiopathic-head-tremors

You do need to speak to your vet about this.