Dogs Community
6 year old dog-heartworm positive

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

6 year old dog-heartworm positive

This dog was seized from her home on September 11th. She is 6 years old, and very skinny. She was brought in at 45 lbs, and has since gone up to 53 lbs. She is heartworm positive, and on treatment currently. She is considered to be in congestive heart failure, but is currently improving. It looks good, but of course there is a level of uncertainty. She may live another week, or another 5 years. I instantly fell in love with her the moment i saw her. She is gentle, sweet, and just want you to pet her. She has a calm demeanor. I felt the intense need to help her. I am contacting vets in my area to see what her treatment will entail when her current treatment is done. She has to take this medicine, 4 times a day, for 90 days. Next is injections they said. Of course this all sounds costly. I am currently in contact with the shelter daily, while I try to get my ducks in a row. There is a surgery available, but I guess she is just too skinny and sick to get it right now. She is not fixed, but that's the easiest issue to fix.
My question is, has anybody else had a heartworm positive dog? How was the process? How expensive was it? I would hate to see this dog live out her days behind a gate. Others have shown interest, but were scared away by her health. I'm reaching out to anybody I can basically.  She is a shelter dog who was seized from a neglectful home.
Hi there.  I fostered a heartworm positive dog through her treatment.  So I'm assuming that right now the dog is on doxycycline or the like?  The dogs can be staged as far as heartworms go.  But basically you get one shot in the back (deep) so it is painful for the pupster and then you need to keep the dog's activity level to a minimum.  So taking the dog out on a leash to go potty and then right back in and into a small space or even a crate.  I know it sounds harsh but when the worms are dying you don't want them breaking off and clogging up arteries.  Then after about a month your dog gets another two shots in a row.  Then back on rest for 2 to 4 weeks.  After that you wait another 4 months to do the heartworm test to make sure the dog is negative.   Check with your vet about whether you give heartguard during this time.  The dog I took care of was wired.  I mean all four paws would come off the floor so it was really hard to keep her quiet.  So I pretty much figured that if she could survive it, any dog could but of course it does depend on what stage they are in and their overall health.  I would advise looking into getting the treatment done at a humane society.  They are usually cheaper than the vet.  You drop your dog off and they spend the night and you pick the dog up the next day.  I want to say that at our humane society it was about $100 per shot and that included pain medication that the dog took for the first few days.  Good luck Dawn and I'm happy you are saving a dog's life!