Dogs Community
7 mo. old puppy vomiting for almost 3 weeks!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have a 7 month old puppy Chihuahua/Terrier mix named Carlos who started vomiting & not really wanting to eat all of a sudden.  Made him bland chicken & rice but still continued to vomit.  Not vomiting immediately after eating, he vomits several hours afterwards & its either first thing in the morning or randomly throughout the day.  About 1-2 times per day.  

I took him to the vet with a stool sample & they took an x-ray & found an obstruction that looked like stuffing from a toy in his stool but other than that his stool looked normal.  They gave me an anti-nausea medication to give him for 6 days & said he should hopefully pass the obstruction & to feed him his regular food (Hill's Science Diet kibbles for puppies).  He did not vomit while on the medication nor 2 days after the completing the 6 day regimen of the medication.  His stool looks back to normal without any white stuffing in it so & he is having normal stools.  No diarrhea.  

On the 3rd day after completing the medication regimen, he started to vomit again.  I waited a couple more days thinking maybe it was some residual from the obstruction or something but after a couple more days of vomiting I took him in this morning.  They did another x-ray & they didn't see an obstruction.  I took in a urine sample today & they said the urine looks concentrated so he is dehydrated & his capillary refill is slow.  They also said he has a little bit of a fever.  He drinks plenty of water all day long so I'm not sure why he's dehydrated.  They did a full blood work & everything came back normal.

He is still there & they did a barium test & have been taking x-rays.  I called about an hour ago & they said the barium is visible in the folds of his stomach & a little bit in his small intestine.  They were going to continue w/ the x-rays.  They said we have to bring him in tomorrow morning to do another x-ray to see if there is any barium left in his system.  They said if there is, they will want to do surgery to see what is in there & remove it.  They are thinking it's something in his stomach.  

I just wanted some opinions/thoughts/suggestions on what may be going on.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I want what's best for my pup please help!
I'm confused! Are you missing any toys? Where ever the stuffing came from, how much has been eaten? Can you tell......

Found an obstruction where? (In the first xray) Just his stool?
Next xray, no obstruction!
So, now there's been 5 xrays w/no obstruction seen & he has a normal stool, yet they want to do surgery?  This doesn't make sense!

Do you trust this Vet or is he/she new to you? IMO, he wouldn't be pooping if there was an obstruction.....

The dehydration is common if you have a kibble fed dog...Add to that the summer heat & it's pretty normal...

Blood work was good! Do you have a copy? How were his Liver enzymes?

How long did you feed the chicken and Rice that he still continued to vomit? What was he eating when it stopped? Other than the Nausea medication? ANy treats of any kind during the day? How often to you feed this guy? What does the vomit look like?

AM I missing something?  Let me know, Karla