ALT & other liver enzymes levels keep jumping up and down, up and down
I am at a loss and freaking out. My 2 year old male toy poodle named Millie has always been small (4.9 lbs) and his ALT has always been slightly elevated - when he was a pup getting neutered, his ALT was 194. Vet thinks he might have microvascualr dysplasia.
In early June, my dog started to throw up a bit, and after 2-3 days of an occasional vomit, he vomited all of his breakfast 15 mins after eating. I brought him to the vet thinking it was a simple stomach upset. Vet took his blood - Liver levels were through the roof. His ALT was >2000, his ALP was >2000, his Bilirubin was 5.0. He was taken to the ICU at a specialty vet and stayed for 4 days. While at the ICU, they had him on IV fluids, Cerenia (to stop vomiting), Amoxicilin, Metradonzaole (both antibiotics) and they started him on Urisodl, Vitamin E, and Denamarin. His ALT went down to 1400, ALP went down to 900, and Bilirubim went down to 1.0 at his discharge. We assumed some sort of toxin caused the problem and kept him on antibiotics for 4 weeks and the other medications indefinitely. We took him to my vet once a week for blood draws. His ALT went down to 220, ALP went down to 200, and Bilirubin went to .05. Well, on the 2nd to last day of his antibiotic cycle, my poor baby threw up again. Scared to death I took him to the vet, and his ALT was <2000 again. There he had another 3 day stay in the ICU. They put him back on Cerenia to stop the vomiting and pushed IV fluids. They continued his medications and his levels went back down. We keep a tidy home, but before he was discharged I did a thorough cleaning of my house - I vacuumed under end tables, beds, dressers, in every nook and cranny, to make sure he wasn't finding lost pills or something. My house was spic and span, but I found no toxins. We bought a muzzle for him to wear outside just in case he had perhaps eaten a poisonous mushroom outside, although we watch him like a hawk and didn't think that was possible. On July 16, his ALT was down to 520 and his ALP was in the 400's. On July 26 I took him back in to get his blood levels tested. His ALT was 930... I don't know what to do. I'm at a loss. I just want to help my baby. He eats boneless skinless boiled chicken breast for breakfast and Euykuneuba puppy chow dry food is out all day. I've tried to switch him to adult food, but every time I try, he gets an upset stomach. With his first liver elevations we thought perhaps it was the change of diet (I was trying to change him to adult) but now that it's shot up 3 times, I just don't know what to do. The vets aren't sure and insist it must be some sort of toxin or bacterial infection. He gets Dentastix treats but has eaten those for over a year. I've continued him on the Ursidol, Denamarin, and Vitamin E this entire time. I just want to help my baby :( Not sure if anyone else has heard of anything similar.
I posted a similar problem with my dog. I also read about this Milk Thistle...read up on it....I also have my dog on Denamarin...but it is horrible trying to get her to chew the tablet...i'm not having much success with that...and she is on id prescription dog food. Watch your post to see how you do. Good Luck, I know how worried you must be. Patti
I'm sorry your dealing with this.....I don't have much help for you, unfortunately.....Do you by chance have a Veterinary Teaching Hospital anywhere around you? There are 27 in the US.....I personally, would locate one and get him to them ASAP....They may figure this out fairly quickly...There very good at what they do!
From everything you state here & this being such a young/small dog, I would lean more towards a Liver Shunt that he was born with.....
His food appears to be OK, not a great food, but not too bad either....
Here's a link to review it:
I do hope you get some answers....Bless you for doing everything you can for him.......Karla
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.