Dogs Community
Adequan, Cartrophen or Cortisone Shots for Dogs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Does anyone have any experience with, or heard of, Adequan, Cartrophen or Cortisone shots for the treatment of pain associated with hip dysplasia, osteoarthritis, etc, in dogs?

My English Mastiff has developed osteoarthritis in her right hind leg, and surgery isn't recommended this late in life, and an alternative to oral treatment (and far more effective from what the vet has told us, although MUCH more expensive), is shot treatment. She also has pain associated with (2) TPLO's I had performed on her when she was 1 1/2 years old, and the vet thinks there is correlation between the osteoarthritis development and the TPLO's that were done on here several years back.

He's recommending Adequan, but doing a little research online I've found that there has been success with Cartrophen. The drug isn't readily available here in the United States, and I don't want my vet to jump through fiery hoops trying to get it, unless I know first-hand that it actually works. If anyone has any experience with Cartrophen, I'd greatly appreciate any information, or stories of success/failure.

Thanks in advance MH'ers!

LMNO
No one?

Bueller anyone? Bueller Bueller anyone?
Just talked the the vet.

Cartrophen isn't available commercially in the United States.

Canada, Australia, UK... YES
United States... NO.

He's recommending the Adequan, and we're going in that direction. $88.00 per injection.

Twice a week for the first month ($704). Then once a week the next month ($352). Then every other week for a month ($176). Then down to once a month, for the rest of her life ($88). That's $1232 worth of 'loading dose' for those less inclined to whip out a calculator.

She's 5.5 years old, and past mid-life for a dog her size (200lbs), and we just want her to have as good a quality of life as possible for the next several years (or as long as she lives).

ANYTHING FOR THE DOGS!
Your dog is a VERY lucky dog to have you for an owner, I'm sure, though, that she tries in her own way to repay you as much as possible.  Godd Luck.
This is great info!  I may look into this for my elderly APBT.  Thanks for sharing and good luck!
I have used the Adequen Injections once for a dog with Hip Problems......Yes, I saw remarkable improvement.....Then I found out that the injections were done incorrectly.....Still, remarkable improvement......So Yes, I'd go with it!  

Please, keep us updated.......It seems so many have Disk Disease, Arthritis, Hip Dysplasia, etc. We need to keep ontop of newer treatments.......Karla

P.S. After reading this: You ROCK, too!   :)    Thanks for the compliment........
We're fortunate that she's allowed us to be a part of her pack. She's the alpha in the house (of 6 dogs), and although my wife and I trump her, we play along and let her rule the roost. She knows we're really in charge and submits to us both, but when it's just the 6 girls, it's all hands on deck and she's QBIC (Queen B*tch In Charge).

We're going the Adequan route, although our bank-account isn't looking forward to the first 2 months!

Thanks to all for your feedback. You've helped me tremendously.

Cheers.

LMNO
Just thought I'd post a follow-up to this...

Condi has been on Adequan for the past 2 months, and I have seen a REMARKABLE change in her hind leg(s). She used to favor one, then the other, sort of "Dancing" if you will from leg to leg, shifting the weight from one to the other.

Now, The "Condi Dance" has all but stopped.

The loading doses were a pain in the wallet, at 88 (USD) per injection, per leg, x twice a week, but I've tapered down to 1 shot every 2 weeks, and will soon reduce it further, to 1 a month.

If anyone out there needs a recommendation for Adequan for the treatment of pain related to osteoarthritis... you've got my vote x100. From what I understand, Adequan actually HEELS and isn't just a pain-killer (which would only be 'masking' the pain).

Whatever the case, Adequan has my vote.

Thanks all.

LMNO
My almost 13 year old (turns 13 in May) chow/shepard mix. Has problems getting up and walking more then 5 feet, poor baby. I had him since July 1999. He's my boy. I tried Glucosomine. Cosequin. and Dermaxx. All three didn't help, but made his liver count get high. Just have to ask if this Adequan would work on my boy to get him up and walking again for at least 1 or more years. He's all I got. Please help with any suggestions. Thanks.
PLS
when you say the injections were done incorect how do you mean and what is the right way??I have been doing mine and I don' t see any improvement in my baby
I agree, I have had the full 8 shot series and see no improvement at all.  JC is actually worse for 2 days afterwards and can barely walk, he also loses any and all appetite.  Any info on the injections being done wrong would be greatly appreciated.
In my research, the two reasons that Adequan doesn't work is #1- The loading dose is done incorrectly.....Twice a week for 4 weeks is the loading dose.....Then once a week for as long as 4 weeks, then as needed......#2- The dog has been misdiagnosed with something other than Arthritis.....

My Vet only did once a week for 3 weeks, then as needed....However, I still saw improvement.....I no longer use the injections......My one that isn't as severe gets Laser Therapy & the other one (That has severe arthritis) gets Chinese Herbs & Acupuncture.....This has kept him nicely for 3 years so far.....I wish you all luck with your fur kids......Take care, Karla
There is a product out there called DOGtorX that promotes natural growth factor in the anatomy of the animal and I have been using it for my boy.  He has had marked improvement in all areas of his old age and I saw an improvement in him within a month.  I don't know if it will help all dogs, but it sure helped Mojo and we thought we would have to put him down at 14.  It's been 9 months of him going for 2 walks a day again, but in the last few days he has injured his back so here we go again...
DOGtorX has given Mojo 9 months of greater quality of life, and it was worth the try for me.