Adverse Effects in Dog After Prednisone

My vet prescribed 20 MG of Prednisone Q12H last week. Immediately my dog appeared to be having an adverse reaction.. as he was panting, nervous and shaking. I spoke with my vet and I tapered down... but he's still panting tonight and it is worrying me. Anything I can do to help him in the meantime ?  As far as his diagnosis, we still aren't sure but have ruled out many other possible health conditions. My vet thinks it is inflammatory bowel disease and our next step is ordering more tests, including a stool culture this time.

Thanks for your help.
What is your dog's weight and what did you cut the dose down to?

Hi ! Thank you for your reply. He weighs only 25 lbs. After the first two 20 MG doses of Prednisone, I cut his dosage in half to 10 MG. Today I gave him only 5 MG and will obviously skip his evening dose and that will be the end of it. But his panting and shaking are worse tonight... it is scary to watch.
I'm sorry, I forgot to ask...How old is your guy?        Thanks    
13 years old and handsome as ever. ; ^ )
Hi..IMO The 20mg. 2@day is an unusually high dose for 25lbs. 10mg.2@day is probably better. How many days at 10mg. before you cut to 5mg. You said you were skipping his evening dose and that will be it. Does that mean the prescription will run out or are you stopping it on your own? You CANNOT stop pred. abruptly!!! Very dangerous! Has to be a slow wean off.....You need to call your vet TOMORROW morning (And explain the situation, again). See what his/her instructions for wean off are.(Unless you already know). I too, would skip tonights dose...but you may need to give him 5mg. tomorrow, too. Then every other day then, 3 days, then 4 days, etc. It has to filter out of his system slowly. I'm not trying to scare you, but at 13yrs old and the symptoms your explaining, I think it's his heart and he cannot tolerate this medication! You have to explain this to your Vet and be firm!  Hopefully, you will see improvement by morning by missing tonights dose...However, I don't know how long steroids stay in their system....I would lean towards at least 8-12 hrs. Please repost tomorrow and let me know how he's doing. I'll worry about him all night.....
P.S. How many hours ago did he take the 5mg.? Is he getting any better (Symptom wise), now?  Good luck..........Karla
Our dog is on prednisone 20mg.    He is also experiencing the same breathing issues.  Vet said it is a side effect of the medication.    
My dog is 58 lbs and was taking 20mg twice daily.  Now once daily.  
Wow! When Titus was on it, he was taking 20mg twice a day but he is 90 pounds! It made him weird, he drank a lot, peed a lot, panted, etc. He was on it forever! He had an ear infection. He was on it for about 3 weeks. 3 days twice a day, 3 days once a day, then every other day. It was tapering, that made him be on it for so long. Even with us humans, you have to taper....prednisone is weird, my dh took it and he said he felt like he felt so weird!!! Mood swings, ups & downs. Please let us know what your vet said. I hope your little guy is okay.

I know... the new vet screwed up. I just didn't want to go there last night because I'm still upset. I had already taken him to a specialist and even questioned her about the dosage... that is why I immediately tapered down. When I got the original prescription, I thought that was an awfully high dosage, but I didn't question her and I regret it. My dog is still upset with me. (no joking either).

He's doing better today... but still has a little bit of shaking. Thank goodness. I didn't sleep well last night because I was so concerned about it.

I'm probably going to be switching vets... but the vet sounded apologetic last night when I spoke with her about this. She now wants him to take 10 MG every other day... that sounds reasonable, but I'm going to give him a break first.

We still don't have a diagnosis, but we've ruled out many conditions.... including all of those (tick fever, valley fever, etc.) where steriods would make him worse. He has chronic diarrhea and has had this condition since he was a puppy... but it has gotten worse. But in all honesty... no other symptoms. Everyone tells me that he looks and acts like a puppy... he still plays with his adopted sister, who is a very big puppy (and will always be... LOL!)
We had to put our dog in diapers, he peed all over the place, running around dribbling everywhere when he was on Prednisone.

Poor guy... that's terrible ! My other dog, who died from ITP only 2 weeks after getting her second Parvo vaccination, had a stomach ulcer from Prednisone. She ended up bleeding out of course because of the ITP and we spent thousands of dollars trying to save her, but it didn't work. It was heartbreaking. I just dread the day when I lose my boy... he's my buddie and my first dog ever. I've had him since he was a puppy.
Whew!!!  Yes, I worried about him all night...I'm so glad he's better....I was basing my response on a 16lb. dog that took 5mg. 2@day. Then 5mg. every other day as a maintaince dose. (For what we thought was IBD, also).  *Steroids cause excessive thirst, frequent urination, and excessive hunger. IMO, the panting, nervousness, shaking, means the dose is too high. It's just like "Speed". The heart races and it's dangerous...In a Senior, your more likely to have "heart failure" as the heart cannot tolerate this sudden onset of rapid beating for too long.....I have a heart failure furkid and I know the risk of him taking Pred. The risk outweighs the benefits of the medication...Anyway, I'm glad your both better and keep us posted.......Karla

Hi ! Thank you for your note. I would have responded earlier, but we took my dog back to the vet... actually the ER. He is still panting like crazy and he's been panting so much that the vet couldn't even listen to his heart and/or run really any tests. They said that it is probably still the Prednisone, but to monitor his condition closely and then follow-up for additional testing. Obviously I'm not taking him back to that other vet ever again.

I am so upset with that vet because I think she overdosed him and I'm uspet with myself because I almost questioned the dosage and I didn't.
If the prednisone has been stopped....the dog should quiet down relatively quickly.  Like, within 48 hours he should be pretty much back to normal.

Our dog was on 20 mg twice a day, and he's 70 pounds.  And THAT was too much for him (and us) to cope with the frantic side effects and peeing.

Damn!!!!  Don't be upset with yourself....We PAY, medically trained Vets to make these decisions for us...It's not your fault.....I got to thinking: Because maintaince doses are done every other day; that leads me to believe that it must stay in their system for up to 48hrs. Does that make sense?  Hang in there....And keep me posted....I'll be thinking about you...Karla

Hi Karla & peekawho,

Thank you for your responses. Yes...  in my opinion, I think the vet accidentally doubled the dosage.

My dog is still panting, but I think he's getting a little bit better. I'll keep you guys posted. We are going to be taking him to another vet in a few days.... after we successfully wean him off the Prednisone.

Thanks again.. you guys are great !

I forgot to add that the ER vet said to keep him on 5 MG of Prednisone for a couple of more days. Next, she said to administer 10 MG by mouth once every other day for 2 doses. After that, she wants me to stop the medication completely.

I dread giving him more steriods, but I know that you have to be careful weaning and you need to do it right.

I just hate to see him having trouble breathing (it seems anyway) when he's sleeping... he even wheezed today (why? after steriods??) and he's still trembling and panting. But the panting is better and I just pray that he gets through this and is okay afterwards and then we can address his chronic diarrhea.
Be thankful it is oral. I took my 15 year old Jack Russell in for a "regular"allergy shot last Friday. I think my aging vet over dosed his shot. He has been lethargic, thirsty, not-eating and I think this has pushed him into having Cushings. We are just trying to keep him drinking and eating alittle and see if he comes out of it. Took him back to vets (saw a different one) and the physical exam showed distended gut, enlarged "chest" lymph nodes. He has a heart murmur that we knew about and they wanted to do blood work, etc. We have expected "the end" for awhile and just want him comfortable without more trauma as he hates the vets....wish us luck.
Can anyone help..... My Dads beloved dog of 13 years was given prednisolone for an itch and in the same visit was given a live vaccine.... he died 2 days later..... my question is should a dog on prednisolone be given a live vaccine????????????
No they should not be vaccinated period. If you were to read the label on the vaccine it would state . " For use in healthy animals only" If the pet was on prednisone it would not be healthy.
We DO pay for trained professionals but we don't always GET them.  After a local vet over scribed for my old dog I did some research.  The vet in his office and in their low cost spay and neuter clinic was NOT LICENSED!  You can search online and read any orders or punishments they've had.  

I turned in this group for using an unlicensed vet for surgery and vaccines!
I may be wrong here I have switched  vets also. My vet said my pup who is 5 and an American Bulldog would have to be on predinisone for the rest of his life. the new vet said he must get off the prednisone because it causes Cushings disease and he is on the verge of getting it. He had to put him on it becaue he broke out in hives but one a day for 3 days, a half a day for 3 days but with what it made him do I only have given him a half for 2 days. the I will do the half every other day. I hate steroids. Now this vet told me it takes a month for them to completely get out of their system.
Our lab that is 90lbs & 11 yrs old is also on predinisone and having panting spells.  She has allergies.  She is now down to 5 mill a day.  Is the panting a side effect?
Has your dog improved? My 65lb Shepard mix is on prednisone after an injection to treat heartworm. She is on day 6 at 30mg a day. Her behavior has changed and she's panting like crazy tonight with a runny nose.
My 11 yr old golden is on prednisone for a second round,  so this has been 2 months, all due to a hematoma in her ear  The first time I tapered down like vet said and she was too crazy and hungry so they let me stop during the tapered down week.  Then the hematoma came back so they restarted it for another month, now on the taper down weeks of every other day.  She was heavy panting and anxious, hyper.  Past 24 hours has diarrhea and very tired.   Didnt eat dinner, highly unusual.  
My 6 yr old boxer is on prednisolone for the past 5 days. 31/2 tablets 2 x/ day for bronchitis. He's panting all the time, drinking lots of water and peeing a whole lot. This morning he has started peeing himself while lying down or sleeping. The pee just runs out. I spoke to my vet and he said to just stop giving him the prednisolone completely. Has anyone else had this peeing while lying down or asleep issue?
Reading this old thread amazed me at how many people use, and vets prescribe, prednisolone, for long term, or multiple use. The only time I've used it was with two of my dogs who where terminal with cancer. And then it was only in their last few weeks just to make them more comfortable and give them (and me) a little more time.

Myself, if convinced it would help 'get to' a positive result after ONE prescription, then I would buy it, but only then. It is a STEROID folks. Have you ever seen 'roid rage' in a person? It's like a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Not good. I would have to think the more consumed, the worse it is on the body.

Look for alternatives, people, don't be so quick to just put into your animal what the vet says. Know what it is, what it does, good and bad, and weigh out the cost/benefit ratio. This comes from spending the time researching.

If your pet is not worth expending the effort to learn, and not be at the complete mercy of what your vet thinks is the solution, then maybe you should not have a pet.

As for long term use, I just don't see how subjecting an animal to the damage that it does offers an improvement long term. Personally, if my dog was ill or miserable enough that steroids were needed 'long term', I would seriously have to consider just putting them to sleep.

As far as the dosages, when first prescribed for my terminal dogs, even then I only gave them 1/2 of the dosage, which minimized any possible reactions, and allowed for a longer tampering off period.

Sorry for the rant, I get passionate.
Kirk- my dog was only recently diagnosed with IBD which is why I am just reading your post now. I am concerned about giving my dog steroids and, like most of these people, care enough to do the research to find alternatives. This forum is most likely only one of their sources. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many options, so instead of ranting and telling us all we don't deserve our pets perhaps you should try offering a more appropriate solution. If you don't have one, which seems to be the case, perhaps you should refrain from commenting at all, especially if you can't be positive. To suggest putting our pets to sleep, pets that are systematic but not lacking quality of life, is cruel and inhumane. As far as treating my dog, no this forum didn't offer any alternatives to long term steroid use for IBD, but it did remind me to follow my instincts and to question my vet when necessary, and I'm grateful for that.
My pup is 10 months old and 4 weeks ago we nearly lost him. We found him lying underneath the table in a pool of drool, couldn't walk and put it down to a rawhide shoe we have given him the night before. He spent the evening at the vets and we thought we were going to lose him. Luckily he pulled through but seemed to be suffering from what looked like meningitis (yelped with certain movements, rigid standing etc) and consequently is on prednisone. His dosage was 35mg daily (he is 20 kilos / 45 lbs). I rushed into prednisone, it literally saved his life and I had no option to read about the pros and cons beforehand. Now I'm reading all this stuff, seeing him panting, eating EVERYTHING, moody, not his usual playful self and to learn that prednisone can cause cushings disease amoungst other things really worries me. I guess we have to put our trust in the professionals. We are in the slow process of taking him off the steroids now and praying his symptoms don't come back. I will however be inquiring about an alternative method of treatment with less side effects. Good luck to everyone and their pups, it's heartbreaking when they get ill and its beyond our control x
We lost our 6 year old boxer November 1. He was prescribed prednisone for an ear infection in mid-October, and aside from that was a healthy, happy dog.  He immediately started with the common side effects (panting, excessive thirst, eating everything he could fit in his mouth, etc.), but our real concern came when he started to collapse out of nowhere almost a week after starting the medication. We weren't sure what was wrong, and it took two more trips to the vet to find out that he was becoming severely anemic very rapidly. It turned out that his stomach had ulcerated, another side effect of the prednisone. By the time we figured it out though, it was too late. His RBC count was falling too rapidly and even with a transfusion or surgery, the chance that he would recover was not great.

I just want to warn everyone. Please please please do your research when starting your pet on a new drug. Know the side effects. Read about how it works. Veterinarians are so busy, many don't have the time to explain the risks to you fully. My biggest regret is that we didn't read up about prednisone before putting our dog on it. If he wouldn't have started that prescription, he would still be here today.
Yes. The same thing. My 9 and a half year old boxer has been on 20 mg twice daily for 15 days now. She has been wetting her bed, panting.  She has a joint infection and needs the steroids to control her fever. When she tappers down the fever shoots back up to 104.6.  This has been horrible. Getting up 3 times a night to let her out and she has already wet her bed. Hopefully it will stop after her dose gets lowered by the way, she is only 54 lbs