Dogs Community
Alavert or Benadryl?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Alavert or Benadryl?

My daschund has several hard, crusty sores on her body.  I took her to the vet and they gave me antibiotics and took a scraping for fungus but the results will take two weeks to come back.  Yesterday she was scratching and I know she can have Benadryl, so I have her half a tablet morning and night, but the poor thing was so sleepy!  Today she seems much better and there seem to be fewer sores, so I was wondering if it would be okay to give her Alavert instead since it is non-drowsy?  She weighs 12 lbs.  If it's okay, do I give her a quarter of a tablet, and can I give it for 3-4 days or until she seems better?  
Hello Eastside & welcome.....Yes, you can give Alavert....One of my Vets recommends Zyrtec & my other says Claritin. Alavert is the same as Claritin but made by a different company....Claritin is 10 mg. and I assume Alavert is, also.

What you CAN"T use is the D products......You can get introuble w/these.

Your size dog can use 1/2 10mg. tablet....Once a day!

In my experience, crusty sores are a Staph Infection......They may be getting better because of the Antibiotic.....If this is the case, make sure your Vet continues with the medication for 2 wks. after all symptoms are gone.....

Staph Infections are normally Immune System Problems & allergies are the trigger...

The trick here is to build the Immune system....Proper food is the place to start!
#1. A Very high quality food is a must! (Preferably minimal or NO grains). NO corn, wheat, soy, by-products, or Artificial Preservatives! You will NOT be able to find these foods at a discount center or grocery store...
Fresh food is best! High quality canned food would be next!
#2. A Good multi-Vitamin including minerals! Yes, you can give her 1/4 of yours or get one made for her...
#3. Fatty Acids (Omega 3's) help tremendously. I like Fish Oils the best!

Staph is normal on the skin, but when it takes over like this, it means a weak system is not being able to fight it!!!  Hope some of this helps you out....Good luck, Karla

P.S. You can get her healthy, I promise!  Been there, done that many times.  ;)
I have never used Alavert for my dog, but from what I have heard, it is safe to use for dogs. However I am not certain of the correct dosage. Can you call your vet on the telephone, just to ask advice about this? To make sure it IS ok, and to ask them about the correct dosage?
Thank you Ginger!

Well, I went outside and thought of something else.....If the lesions are crusty in the center with a reddish ring around them, it's possible that it's Ringworm.....Do you have Cats? Do you have any of the same sores on you? Ringworm is very contagious & treatment will be completely different....Did they do a light test to check for ringworm?

Let me know what you find out.....Karla
Karla,

Thanks so much for your beautiful, comprehensive answer!  I'm thinking you might be right on target with the staph infection.  The antibiotics haven't seemed to help tremendously, but there haven't been any new sores, so maybe they're doing more than I think they are.  They look worse, but maybe that's because they're crusty now.  I'll continue the course, anyway...

This is her second course of antibiotics in a month because she had a bulging disk and had to have major back surgery in early December.  That made me wonder about a yeast infection, too, so maybe I'll try probiotics?  I don't know if yeast would make these brown, crusty sores.  I feel so bad for her!  

I have been giving her benadryl because I was still a little nervous about the others, but thanks for the reassurance.  It's good to know that they're safe as long as they're non-D.  She still seemed quite miserable, though, so I called the vet and she gave me a steroid, prednisone, so give her for the next 4-5 days.  I'm hoping that will do the trick.  

The vet a fungal culture last week when we went in, but she says it hasn't grown anything so far.  It takes two weeks, but I suspect that's not it.  Staph seems more likely.  And no, I don't have cats.  I have two other dogs, and they're okay, and I don't see any rings around the sores at all.  

Meanwhile, I'll check her foods and start her on a vitamin and omega 3's.  I've got them on Wysong food and Paul Newman's stuff so I thought it was good food, but I'll check again.  I do feed them table food (oops!) so I'll have to watch that too.  

Thanks again, and any comments are greatly appreciated!
Did these lesions, by any chance, come up after her surgery? How about after the antibiotic? Or did she have them before all this? How long?

Have you changed anything recently? Like new food, or shampoo, or carpet cleaner or applied a new flea product? Anything you can think of when this started will help....

Yes, your right....Both of your foods are very good ones.....Wet is better than dry for skin problems.....Just a thought.....

I'm hoping we can figure this out....Karla

P.S. I feed table foods, too.....Only healthy ones, though.....All the time as a matter of fact!  ;)
She's better!  Prednisone took it all away - started acting within hours and she's 80% better already.

Thanks again, everyone!