Dogs Community
Anal gland expression problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Anal gland expression problem

My dog needs frequent anal gland expressing, which I have learned to do myself (about every three weeks- I know it's time when he starts leaking that nasty stuff on my couch and licking his butt...).  But sometimes when I express them myself he seems to need them expressed a couple days later again.  My vet said that expressing them without much time between expressions will irritate the anus and he said my dog's anus was irritated and swollen and that that caused the glands to trap more fluid more quickly. And that continually expressing them only makes the problem worse. At the time he gave him a shot of some sort of anti-inflamatory medication and he was fine for the next 3 -4 weeks.  I don't want to go to the vet to get this shot all the time and would like going to the vet at all for the anal glands but how can I avoid or treat the swelling myself??
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong with the expressing , but please tell me if this sounds okay to you: I use a latex glove and put KY lube on it and then do the deed... I don't know if I'm somehow irritating him or causing the problem.
Please help!!
Your Vet is right the more you do it the more it comes back .Your dog needs to go on a course of antibiotics you must stop this now before it becomes chronic and then the anal glands will have to be removed which might have to happen anyway.
So please put your KY and  Latex away.
Listen to your Vet he is right.
Anal glands are like our Appendix ! no longer needed. since we came out of the caves.
Hi seeana,
Thanks for your response, I will get him to the vet for the antibiotics.  Do you have any suggestions for the future when they need expressing? It's a chronic thing with him, he needs about every three weeks, like clockwork, and I don't know how to handle it from now on....
I would talk to your vet about the operation.How much it will cost ect also what other options there are.But once they are removed problem solved, anyway your Vet should be able to answer your questions as he is the expert.
Please dont worry its not a big operation and what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabout.
Please let us know what your Vet says.
I am curious to know why some dogs have anal gland problems and some don't. Is it to do with breed? I really don't know, and would like to.
All the years I have had my dog she has never once needed her anal glands expressing, no butt-scooting, etc....why? What's it all to do with?
Hi ginger I have had a few dogs over the years and I have not had it either thank goodness ....as my Clumbers are incensed if I go near their back end and holler very loudly when I do.They like to keep their private parts to themselves.(funny Dogs)

It is caused by not enough fibre in the diet so their poo needs to be softened up to stop over straining.(Tell Me about it lol) So soft.poo..... no AG probs.
So I went to the vet and she said that some dogs just have hyper-secreting glands and that there's no easy way to solve it. It can be due to allergies and/or low fiber, but not necessarily. I feed my dog a hypoallergenic and high fiber food and his poo is always very hard, so I think he may just be prone to the problem.  She said eventually surgical removal might be the way to go... this scares me though since I'm told it could cause fecal incontinence...  I'm okay with expressing them every three weeks or so but it can't be okay to do it again just a few days later.  
Oh and I've read a lot of research that says smaller dogs or fat dogs are much more prone to this.  My dog is a dachshund.  I've always had big dogs before and they never had the problem.