Dogs Expert Forum
Anxious dog from Thunder and lightening in New Jersey

Welcome to the DOGS Forum where you can post your dog related health questions! Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Our ~ 55 lb 12 year old female  lab mix ( former shelter dog...separation anxiety.....thunder storm anxiety and questioned IBD. Her diet: wild boar and brown rice from Nature's Balance ) is having a rough time with the first thunder and lightening storm of the season here in North Jersey. Our family loves our vet practice in Randolph, as does Sasha ;) , and they know her well. The issue this evening is that since the storms have somewhat settled down over the last hour (although threatening to return throughout the night), she still remains very anxious. Pacing, panting, shaking, trying to walk up your body with her front paws while looking at you with terrified eyes......the whole sad picture. We treat her as if there was no storm and  that she has had no change in behavior. We do not reinforce the anxious behavior at all. We are playing the CD Through a Dog's Ear  throughout the house and she has her bed in her safe spot. She had exhibited Neuro sx on Flagyl maintenance in the past during a rough GI time last Aug/Sept and has done fine off of it, after the change to the unique protein diet. The question is, if she really ramps up,what can I give her overnight to help calm her...WITHOUT risking upsetting the GI or GU apple cart....until I speak to someone at the office tomorrow? I know that it had been mentioned that Benadryl could be used ( I cannot remember the dose)  for an immediate concern, but certainly not for long term use.  
Hello again,
I don't often get patients from my own clinic on Medhelp but why not?  Sasha as you know as always been a challenge.
Diazepam or Alprazolam should not upset her stomach or cause GI symptoms, and these can be taken on a PRN (only when needed) basis.  Since I am writing this from home and don't have Sasha's chart in front of me I don't if she is currently taking anything else for anxiety presently.  But most of the other anti-anxiety medications must be taken daily and will require 3 weeks before becoming effective.  There are also herbal remedies and homeopathic remedies.  The herbal formulas may upset her stomach but the homeopathic thunder phobia formula will not.  Additionally, storm capes seem to be effective in many patients. Storm capes are available online and at pet stores.  Try calling the Pet Shop in Mendham at the King's shopping center.
Sometimes drugs like Diazepam do interfere with the sleep and may lead to nausea feeling too. You should try something natural diet supplement for that.