Aorta blood clot in dogs
My 6.5 year old dogs has a large blood clot in her aorta/femoral artery.  She is on plavix but we believe this will only help stop new clots from forming.  We have been given three choices to help the clot from growing or to possibly decrease its size.  Put her on Coumadin/Warfarin.  This seems to have high risk of her bleeding out.  Getting her to a cardiologist in CO for surgery to remove the clot.  Sounds like this isn't a surgery done often and may have high risk.  Get her to a specialist in NY to put in a stint.  I am on the west coast and this is extremely expensive (around 8,000.00 not including expenses.)  I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of clot in a dog and or experience with any of the medical options I've mention above?  I should say she has seen a cardiologist and has a very healthy heart.  Many tests, blood work and xrays show no cancer, urinary problems, no Addison's,  nothing orthopedic or neurological.  We don't know what caused the clot.  She was my jogging partner one day and the next was lame in hind legs.  We now know this was due to the clot impeding blood flow to her hind legs.
Wow, can't say I have ever heard of this.  Where on the West coast are you? Have you checked with UC Davis?
Due to expenses and distance, I personally could not or would not opt for going to NY.
Colorado "may" be an option but is this worth the risk?
I might opt trying the Coumidin with dose regulation and regular blood work.  Would that have any affect on the existing clot?
Oregon/Washington area.  Our internist does not recommend the surgery in CO; she does not feel it worth the risk.  I asked her "if it were your dog..." would you choose the Coumidin or stint.  She wasn't sure.  This and the fact we are unable to get information on the successrate of stints in dogs has me feeling Coumidin is the way to start.  I wish I were independently wealthy and could opt for the stint but also need to be realistic in what I can afford.  With that said there were 14 dogs on a trial of Coumadin some of whom faired well.  I think this is drug will be risky but we do not have an option to try nothing.  If nothing is done the clot will grow and make it's way to her heart and other organs.  Unless I hear from others with information specific to the options I've been given - then Coumidin it will be.  Fingers crossed.
I would probably opt for the same.  Have you tried contacting Cornell?
Coumadin was bad.  After three days she started bleeding from three areas in her head, of course we took her off Coumadin immediately and then had to give vitamin K to revearse the Coumadin.  Long and short the prescribed amount of Coumadin should have been smaller.  My poor baby also had skin around her neck area hanging, I guess from the blood thinning?  Regardless that is now looking normal after being off the Coumadin for a month.

We had a second ultrasound which showed the clot has not grown in 2 months.  The doctor thinks she may actually have imporved blood flow to one leg. I think we are going to hold off on trying Coumadin again as that aged me and my pet - it was too stressful.

She can enjoy life as a dog who no longer exercises by jogging and taking hikes or walks.  Exercise around the house does not seem to affect her lack of blood flow to her back legs.  Since normal activity around the house seems to affect her negatively we will cross our fingers that the clot does not grow.  
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/47047302

Gosh, thanks for the update!  Sorry the Coumadin didn't work out.  I know little about this but do know my mother was on Coumadin some years ago and had to stop it due to bleeding problems.  Her doctor put her on Ascriptin, which she has taken daily for years.  I looked that up and it can be given to dogs but should be prescribed, dosed and monitored by a Vet.  Might ask about it.
The link at the top ( hope that works) is a study published by Cornell that sounds similar to your situation.  You may want to read it.
Fingers and paws crossed for you.  
Please do keep us updated.
.