Dogs Community
BIG HEARTED DOG

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

BIG HEARTED DOG

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY BABY, HER NAME IS CHERRY HAS AN ENLARGED HEART AND THEY HAVE HER ON MEDS, SHE TAKES A HALF OF PILL ENALAPRIL.. SHE IS ABOUT 6 TO 8 YEARS OLD. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS A DOG GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING. HER WEIGHT IS 11LB. SHE A JACK RUSSELL MIX WITH HOT DOG.IS THERE ANYONE OUT THAT CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO MAKE HER LIFE LONGER.? I LOVE HER SO MUCH.
I wish I knew what to say to help. I don't know anything about this problem. Hopefully someone will post here who may have had the same with their dog.
You could ask your question on the "Ask a Vet Expert Forum"? You will, I am sure, get some excellent advice there.
The only other thing I can suggest is to get an in-the-flesh second opinion from a veterinarian who is a board-certified internal medicine specialist.  There are a few of them.  The vet you are using may be doing a fine job, for all I know.  Enalapril is a medication that is used to treat high blood pressure in humans.  Longterm high blood pressure can cause the heart to enlarge.  I'm sorry for the situation.  
Hi Becky has the same thing and is 10 years old and in good condition, she is a bit overweight and the vet has her on a diet. The heart trouble started at eight years old.The vet thinks Becky will make 12 years old, a good age for a cavvy.
I just follow the advice of the vet, Cherry will be fine, we had a cross breed once who lived until 18, they do tend to live longer. Check with the vet that Cherry is within the right weight limit, this will help.
I'm sorry to hear about that Becky.  My family (my mom, step-dad, and grandma) and I have a 11 to 13 year old Miniature Pinscher (we're unsure of her age because we saved her and she had no papers with her) that also has an enlarged heart.  Our vet has her on Enlapril as well only she takes a fully one, not half of one.  Queen seems to be doing fine with the Enlapril as long as she has her other medicine as well (she's also on a fluid pill for having had fluid in her lungs and has breast cancer though we're not doing anything about that because of her age).  I would suggest just doing what Purbeckgirl suggested since all of that will help.  With Cherry being on the medicine and all, she should be fine as long as she's in good health otherwise.
I was reading some of the things wrong with you and i feel bad that you are so young to be going through any kind of pain. you should be pain free, having alot of teenage fun stuff. Thank for your reply about my baby CHERRY, it made me feel a little better and I wish you well and i'll pray for you kid ( young lady I mean. lol)

THANK YOU YOUR FRIEND FROM
                                                                      MICHIGAN
                                                                        DIANA
My dog, Boo was a Golden Retriever and died a couple months back from an enlarged heart condition. She was only about 5. She'd always acted strange. I mean, I guess she had an attitude. The pill, I'm pretty sure, is the only thing that could make her life longer. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help keep the dog alive. The vet told us not to really let her do much if we wanted to keep her alive longer, but we wanted her to go out doing something she loved. I'm not really sure if it's different for each breed of dog, but we went to three vets to make sure they were right. Unfortunately, they were in saying we couldn't really do anything. :/