Dogs Community
Babesia relapse

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Babesia relapse

I have a dog with babesia. He was treated for it after a spelenectomy almost 3 years ago. It was removed because it was enlarged. At first the vet thought he had cancer on the spleen but all the tests we had done indicated there was no cancer. Needless to say the spleen was removed because it got so big. After the surgery he almost died within 2 weeks at which time they discovered he had babesia. I suspect the splenectomy accelerated the disease ...
Now it is 3 years later and Ceasar is crashing again. We are treating him with azythromycin and atoquovine ( I think that is it). He is not eating well with the meds and has vomited more than once. We now have him taking anti nausea medication to try and he has kept them down. However still not eating much. Since he is not eating, I am still worried. Dr. Cheng, do you think a transfusion will be needed no matter what? Is Imidocarb a better treatment. He has had all 3- meds, transfusion and imidocarb with his first treatmetnt. We are trying to treat him at home, but scared this will not be enough. Please advise. Thank you!