Dogs Community
Bare spots in coat from itching

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Bare spots in coat from itching

4820142?1251602750
Is there a way to know what is causing my Dog's recent itching?  He has caused bare spots in his coat from an irritant or something.  We have him up to date on all his vaccines and stay current with Frontline.  We bathe him every other week.  His skin seems dry, is there something besides shampoo/conditioner I could dress him with to soothe his itching?  He has a short and smooth haired coat; he is an energetic sharpei/lab mix.  I've heard of doggies getting perscriptions of Benadryl, is that something our family Vet could provide?
Incessant scratching like you are describing is definitely worth a trip to the veterinarian.  It is a good thing that you have him on Frontline to help control fleas...but, I noticed your "nickname" indicates you have multiple pets, are all 4 animals on flea control?

Your veterinarian will ask a lot of questions about how often he scratches and whether or not it is a seasonal occurrence (gets worse in spring and fall versus winter).  Allergies are certainly a possibility and Benadryl might help.   You can post your question in our Ask a Vet Expert Forum and the doctors there could probably even give you an approximate dose based on the weight of your dog.  Allergy testing is also available through your veterinarian or even a veterinary dermatologist.

I have always had luck with a shampoo and conditioner called EpiSoothe..but it really depends on WHY your dog is so itchy.  Is there a reason you are bathing him so frequently and what kind of shampoo are  you using?
Thank you for your concern.  You are correct.  We have our dogs on Frontline and the Kitty is on Revolution.  The vet visit is probally the best way to find out what is going on with him.  I will definately post my question about the benadryl on the expert fourm.  

We shampoo him with a citrus deodorant shampoo and condition with a combo of Mane and Tail and an Oatmeal based conditioner.  He is bathed almost every other week, usually because he just becomes so stinky, (lol).  We may need to change the shampoo/conditioner.  Is the EpiSmoothe something OTC or prescription only?

No...EpiSoothe can be purchased over the counter, but it is usually found at veterinary offices.  If he has a perpetual odor, definitely have your veterinarian check his ears and his teeth.   If his ears appear red, he might have allergies to something in the environment or potentially to something in his diet.

Good luck!!