Dogs Community
Beagle Peeing Accidents

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Beagle Peeing Accidents

Two year old beagle pees in house but not consistently.  Sometimes pees right after being outside.  Otherwise trained.  No other kinds of accidents in the house.  Vet has checked for infections.  Not any.  He's trying to lower her pH with dog food change but it doesn't seem to be working.  Seems to have urgency to pee and can't wait.  Getting very frustrating.
How is her mental health?  Was she ever fully house trained?  (hate house broken)  What methods have you used to try to break this pattern?
hiya have you had her from a pup?
my friend aquired a beautiful beagle when she was 18 months old for the next 12 months she never stopped peeing in the house BUT only when she was excited when people came to visit or when my friend had had a beer!!!!
She is two years old and spent the first 15 months of her life in a vet tech program lab at a local college.  She does not poo in the house and will call to go out but there is an urgency that sometimes she can't overcome.  On meds for weak sphincter from one vet.  Second vet is weaning her from this cause he doesn' t think that's the problem.  Some days she is fine but you can't be sure so she can't be left alone for very long.  On good days she goes out 7-8 times and on bad days 11-13 plus the accidents in the house.  That can't be common.
Interesting that there are 2 vets involved in her care, is one a specialist?
Some health issues that can cause incontinence are:

Bladder stones
Poor bladder muscle tone
Diabetes
Uterine infection
Hormone levels
Cushings

I am sure this is tough on both of you.  Hang in there and, if one of the vets is not a specialist, see if you can get referred to one.
I have struggled with this in the past and can't for the life of me figure out how a dog can be outside and then come inside and pee - but for one of my dogs, he is just so happy to be playing and running around, he forgets and then when he gets inside and is quiet and calm - then he pees. Usually I don't make a fuss of it, I just wipe it up (I have tile floors and no carpet) and put him outside and say "Outside, Outside" and then I try and watch him a lot so I can catch before it happens - usually I can tell. Then offer treats when they pee outside and say "Good doggie - outside."

That's the best advice I have. Sometimes dogs pee as making a statement - they want out and don't want in so they pee to get to go back out again - Mommy puts me out when I pee - so I will pee. But I try not to make a hub bub over it - negative reinforcement.

Sorry, but I have learned to cope with it and just pay more attention to the dog and maybe that is what they want anyway if there are no medical needs. Plus not feeding dry food helps and with dry dog food they drink more water - so I would feed wet.

Mercy
Wow - it's very unusual for a healthy 2 year old beagle to be peeing in the house that often - whether she's housetrained or not. Does she drink lots and lots of water? Does she pant a lot, even if she hasn't been active?

My 11 year old beagle was completely housetrained, and over a period of a couple of weeks, she wasn't - and she was going out maybe 10 times a day and still having accidents in the house. She was also having all the symptoms I asked about above. Turns out she has diabetes insipidus, which means peeing all the time, colorless urine, and constant thirst. The disease is pretty unusual, but when it does occur, it's usually in dogs 2 to 9 years old. It's very treatable (although expensive). My dog's been on treatment and is back to her old self.

Just out of curiosity, do you crate your beagle girl when you're away? That might be helpful, if her problem turns out to be behavioral.