Dogs Community
Bleeding 1 week after being spayed

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Bleeding 1 week after being spayed

Last week I adopted an approx 3.5 yr old cocker spaniel from a shelter. She was not in heat. She was spayed that day, then sent home with a 3 day supply of pain med and a 10 day supply of antibiotic 2xs daily. She also had, and has, some sort of broncitis from being at the shelter. She's been pretty sick from that (deep coughing and sneezing, snot, red eyes), but as far as the spay I have kept things low key for her (lots of calm time, sleeping, no running or walks, carry her up and down staircases). 7 days post spay she began bleeding red blood from her vulva.  We are now on the second day of that. No bad smell, just like blood. Vulva isn't swollen. Urine is yellow and hasn't changed. Her belly has had a type of bruised/blood under the surface on 2 diff. places all week. The incision sight is smaller than is usual, but otherwise looks great. I took her to vet yesterday. He gave her an additional antibiotic and 3x daily cough syrup. Blood work looked fine except her white blood count was twice as high as normal. He is also sending in a a blood clotting test that will take a few days.  Was concerned because of the bleeding and belly blood bruising. Told me to continue keeping her from being active or straining her belly, watch her, and call if anything changes until he gets the clotting results in.  Oh, her temp. at home has been 102.4 F for a couple nights, not real high, but thought I'd include it.
Any ideas or advice? Thank you.  
Sounds like she has an infection with the fever (even slight as it is) and the high white count.  Ghilly is much better with medical issues than I am, so hopefully she'll pop in here soon.

I'm so happy to hear you've had her to your own vet right away, and so far I'm comfortable with what he's doing.  Sounds like you have a good one!

Aside from the post-op bleeding, I can count on medical problems cropping up with every rescue dog.  They're usually packed in with so many other animals there is no telling what they picked up or where.  If they were strays, who knows where they've been or for how long.  If they were turned in by owners, it's not uncommon to find a major medical issue the former owners simply didn't want to pay to treat properly.  Whether you adopt from a private rescue group, shelter or public pound, the adopter is truly doing a rescue service.

Thank you for choosing to adopt and rescue your dog, and do keep us posted on new developments.  I feel good that she's getting great care from your vet.  :-)