Bleeding from the penis
My dog is an 8-yr-old border collie and has started having blood dripping from his penis on & off for the last month or so. We took him to the vet & she thought it was either a UTI or prostatitis (infection of the prostate). She placed him on antibiotics, but it did not get better. A week later, we took him back to the vet, getting yet another antibiotic after having x-rays to look for stones. She found no stones or masses on the x-rays, so she still believed it to be an infection. It still didn't go away completely but became more sporadic in the bleeding episodes. Finally, when that antibiotic was completed, the bleeding did stop for 2 weeks. Now the bleeding is back again & he is once again on antibiotics. Our vet suggested getting our dog neutered. Does anyone know if that could possibly solve this bleeding problem or could it be something else altogether?
I would get another opinion from a different vet ASAP.

I am not trying to scare you, but bleeding from the penis very strongly indicates prostate cancer, and especially since multiple courses of antibiotic have proven to be ineffective in stopping the problem.

Has your vet done a biopsy yet to rule out prostate cancer?  A biopsy of the rectal wall can tell if there are cancer cells present.  As far as neutering your dog, I would try to find out for sure if cancer is present before subjecting him to neutering surgery.  Prostate cancer in dogs isn't like prostate cancer in humans, and the outlook is usually quite grim.  If it IS cancer, I would rather spend my time making him comfortable and letting him enjoy his life rather than having him recuperating from a surgery.  

Again, I am not trying to frighten you, but like I said, blood coming from the penis is never a good sign.  Please pursue this diligently and find a vet who can get to the root of the problem.  And please keep us posted!

Ghilly
I agree with what Ghilly is telling you. It could be a testicle problem.  Did your Vet happen to do a urine culture?  The fact that antibiotics have been used and this is recurring needs to be checked in to further.  Neutering *may* help the problem. I assume both his testicles are descended?  Did the Vet actually do a prostate exam?  I might be seeking a second opinion on this one.
Male has several bleeding eposodes also, and been on antibotics. Just went off antibotics 2 days ago this morning blood driping back. They also want to neuter him, but I dont want to put him through this if its something else.
We had a doberman that would pee or drip blood from his penis when he had been around a female in heat.  Then he would do this occassionally when he wasnt near a female in heat
Will finish my post from above about my Doberman, then he started peeing almost pure blood, took him to a vet in Michigan, he have him a shot and it stopped the bleeding, when we got back home from our trip, we immediately had him neutered.  He never had a bleeding episode again, the bleeding was due to something with his prostrate.  Hope this helps.
Did the vet do a digital Prostate exam to feel if there is any swelling in the Prostate? And did she focus on this area in the X rays?

It is also possible he could have balanitis. Inflammation of the penis/sheath. Especially if he is not neutered, he might 'hump' things which may cause some irritation and damage?

Having him neutered is maybe a good idea....but it may or may not solve the issue of bleeding. My guess is that something is causing this bleeding which neutering in itself may not cure.

My instincts say the Prostate needs further investigation. But maybe I am wrong there.