Bloodshot Eyes- Both eyes
My 8 month old German Shepherd has suddenly developed 2 bloodshot eyes.  I took her to the vet today and he wasn't very helpful ($75 for a "I don't know what's wrong"). He asked if we in were the middle of any renovations, we're not.  To my knowledge, she has not had any sort of trauma to the head.  She plays with my mom's dog during the day while I am at work.  She hasn't been acting any differently and she doesn't have any discharge from her eyes.  As well, her gums aren't bleeding.  The only symptom seems to be that the whites of her eyes are bloodshot.  
Any ideas?
You might try posting over on the Veterinarian moderated forum.  Dr. Cheng usually gets back with you in 24-72 hours.

I wish I knew!  I'd be very concerned.  
My guess (and this is only a guess) is allergies.  My beagle started doing this too when the weather became too cold and she started spending most of her time inside.  It seems she is allergic to much of the fabric/detergents/etc. in the house and the dry air doesn't help.  My vet put her on benadryl.  Check with Dr. Cheng though but this sounds like an allergy (especially with no discharge and with both eyes being equally affected)
Our Siberian Husky woke up this morning with extremely blood shot eyes.  We took her to the vet this afternoon.  They ran blood tests & everything seemed to be normal.  The vet gave her some eye drops to be put in her eyes twice a day for the next week.  Tonight she is very disoriented & walking around, which is very unusual for her.  It fact, she acts like she cannot see at all.  She is 13 & we are very concerned.  Any other comments from anyone?
If allergies are suspected, the dose of Benadryl is 1mg per pound of body weight.  It shouldn't cause any other problems, so why not try it?  Hope it helps!