Dogs Community
Boxers - escalating agression

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Boxers - escalating agression

I have two boxers, a female that is 10, and a male that is 6. The female has always been the dominant one and they have typically gotten into minor fights, relating to attention when visitors come. Thus we had to start isolating them when people came over to avoid the squabbling, which to an unfamilar person looks and sounds frightening.

About 6 months ago, the male started attacking the female when I would come home. He develped a technique whereby he gets on top of her back and pinns her below. Since she is considerd an old dog by boxer standards, I thought he might be challenging her dominance. Well now it seems to be escalating, where she has become the agressor, not just when I come home but also while we are just lounging at home like usual. The fights are getting more agressive and at times draws blood. I am very concerned that they are going to get hurt and would prefer not to have to isolate them from each other permanently. Any advice on modifying their behavior would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Are they neutered? If so, your male might just know that your female has some type of illness coming on that you aren't even aware of. Hence, thin the pack, and put her out of her misery. Sorry to be so brutal. You seem to be more responsible than most owners, and it looks like you are doing what is right. Ever had a backache, and see that is where they lay with you ? They know sickness, and disease, and with him being 6 years old, it's really odd if this behavior has just started. Separation and isolation aren't always bad things. Think about kids, sometimes separation is the only way to go. I have been a dog groomer for 30 years, and cockers, or any spaniels have been my dog of choice. Talk about nut jobs!!! Boxers are way more mellow, and excellent dogs. Good luck. hope I helped in some little way.