Dogs Community
Buyers beware

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Buyers beware

Not a question but just wanted to post this as a reminder to those getting pets.
I showed dogs for years in Conformation and Obedience.  I was in charfpge of Education fir our large Breed club and have helped with rescue over the years.  If someone adopts a pet from a reputable Rescue organization, that animal has usually had health and dental issues addressed, updated on shots, wormed and temperament tested.  If the placement diesn't work out, for whatever reason, that group will usually take the animal back.

Anyone buying a dig from a Reputable breeder should always be offered, in writing, a health guarantee against genetic defects that would make the dig unsuitable as a pet.  Contracts may differ as to the length of time, whether a refund or replacement is offered.  You And the breeder should discuss the terms of the contract.  You should be offered a certain amount of time to get your new puppy to a Vet fir an exam and I suggest you do that ASAP.  The breeder should supply a medical record listing dates of workings, shots ( what type were given)' food the puppy has been eating, etc.  

Also, if not for show or on a co-ownership with a breeder under certain instances, the contract should state the dog is to be spay or neutered and, if AKC registered, a Limited Registration should be supplied.

Please do not be tempted to buy a puppy from a pet shop!  Most are from puppy mills or local people trying to make a buck.  Even though you want to get that poor puppy out of the cage in that shop, you are just enabling these people to make money.

The Shelter and Humane societies are full of animals that need loving homes and I encourage anyone to consider adopting.

I
These are tough economic times for so many so please give some serious thought to what having a pet can entail, especially medical care.  everyone's intentions may be good but emergencies and health issues can cause a lot of heartache and financially drain a budget.

No way am I trying to be judgmental just hoping to give people pause and some things to think about.

I really need to stop typing on this iPad.  Excuse the typos.  :-)
Thank you Margot....Well said!!!!
Bumping this up
Again....
Hope people read thus  thanks
UP.......
Again
Again
Bumping up
I totally agree with what Margot has said.
PLEASE rescue dogs from High-kill shelters first. All these innocents are on Death Row, from no fault that they have committed! They have been abandoned, or discarded as so much trash. Or their owners they loved dearly have died. Many have only hours or days at the most before they are euthanized. Some are very young dogs, destined to be killed at 6-7 months old!
Also, PLEASE make sure there are financial plans of one kind or another put in place to ensure their health care for the rest of their lives.
As a breeder myself, I LOVE this post!!! So true!!

Anytime I talk to some one looking for a dog, I hand him a questionaire to ask the breeder and tell him if the breeder can't answer the questions, walk away!

Here's that list:

Questions to ask the breeder:

Do you belong to a National "Breed Club"?  
Do you show your dogs in Confirmation?
      A. If so, how many registries?
      B. Which TYPE of registry:
          A. AKC (American Kennel Club)
          B. UKC (United Kennel Club)
          C. IBACA (Int'l All-Breed Club of America)
          D. CKC (Canadian Kennel Club,  
which is NOT to be confused with the CONTINENTAL KENNEL CLUB, which is NOT a reputable kennel club.)

3. Do you health test your dogs for the following:
       A. Hip Dysplasia
       B. Elbow Dysplasia
       C. Thyroid function
       D. Heart Diseases
       E. Von Willebrands (in Dobermans)
       F. Eye Diseases
       G. Hearing problems/deafness in white dogs/dalmations
       H. Luxating Patellas
       I.  Popping Hocks
       J. Sexually Transmitted Diseases (they can affect dogs as well)
       K. Any other breed-specific health issues as wel

4. Do you have a contract?
      A. Does it specify about spay/nueter?
      B. Do the breeder agree to take the puppy back, throughout it's lifetime if you are unable to take care of it for any reason?
            1. What are the finacial arrangements in the case of returning the puppy/dog
      C. Is there a health guarenteeon the puppy?
      D. Are there any requirements regarding showing the puppy and what are they?

5. How long has the breeder been involved with the breed and how long has the breeder been actually breeding this breed?

6. How many breeds of dogs does the breeder have? (they should be specializing in one, MAYBE, two different breeds only)

7. Why did they breed their dog? (Take NOTE: A GOOD, REPUTABLE breeder breeds only to Improve the breed or to resock their kennel; they DO NOT BREED because everyone likes their dog and wants a puppy out of them or to show their kids the "miracle of life". Most breeders only breed one to two litters a year,because it is very time consuming and costly when done right; they also have a waiting list of families in advance of breeding.)

8. What are the DOWNSIDES to the breed? EVERY breed has it's downsides, learn what they are BEFORE picking that puppy up! No breed is perfect for everyone and EVERY breed has a downside. If you hear: "Oh they are great!! There are NO downsides to this breed....do yourself a HUGE favor and walk away!

This list appears on our kennel webpage and it is something we ask all of our families to make copies of whether they are buying a puppy from us or are trying to decide the best breed for them.

People ask me all the time (as I'm sure most breeders also get askied this question) Why should I spend x amount of dollars for one of your dogs when I can go down the street and buy the same dog for a third of the cost. (Say, for example this breeder sells his dog for $1000 and the family down the street sells his puppies for $300) I would tell the buyer that the other $700 will be paid out in vet bills, probably in the first year. When that prospective buyer pays that $1000, he is buying much more than just a puppy; he is buying a security as well as a peace of mind for the life of the dog.

Thank you, Margot, for starting this post!!  
I wanted to add something elso, just on a different posting. Many years ago a stray dog came into my house one night and due to housing restrictions, I was forced to place him in the local pound. I couldn't stop thinking about this puppy and when he was free to be released for adoption, I said screw the housing restriction and I went and adopted him. He was an Irish Wolfhound/Komondor cross about 6 months old when I picked him up at the pound. I replaced a hip joint in him when he was 10 ( the vet thought I was nuts at the time) and he limped around for another 3 years before I had to make the decision to send him "home"......I miss him to this day, he was one of the best friends I have ever had the priviledge to share my life with. He was a pound puppy and a mix breed.......
Okay.....one ,more thing......your Labradoodles and Goldendoodles and your "combined named puppies" like the poo-poms (poodle/pomeranians) ect....they are ALL MIXED BREEDS.....don't spend a $1000 dollars on these breeds......if you REALLY want to do that (get a designer dog) go to the local shelter and spend a few dollars to adopt a pet (many of whom are actually purebreds) and turn the balance of that $1000 (or in some cases $1500-$2000) to the shelter!.....That's a novel thought!  
Great additional information.  I had one of my puppy buyers once tell me he hadn't filled out so much paper work since he bought a car. :-)
Odd you would bring up Labradoodles ( which I fell will be recognized one day). A friend of mine was asking me about them the other day as her employer has two ( she is a health home nurse).  They paid big bucks for these dogs.  I proceeded to do some checking as I am not all that familiar with the breed.  I actually contacted a couple of "breeders" after reading they come in three sizes.  My friend sent me a link to a Labradoodles breeder's web site, which was very professionally done.  Upon reading the web site, one Ted flag after another was screaming "puppy mill"!   They too were asking boo koo bucks for the dogs.  Even offering dogs to people at a discounted price to be able to breed them once and take a pick puppy or litter split!  Even a reputable, experienced breeder hesitates before doing those contracts and will usually only do them, in most cases, with another breeder or potential show home of someone they will mentor.  That situation sure works out for those people!  

"minature Aussies" are being sold.  There are no Minature Aussies.  My daughter's boss paid over $1,000 for one a few years ago.  My daughter tried to warn her.  The dog had bone growth problems.  Of course, there was no guarantee and she has now spent thousands on this dog for Vet care and surgeries.  This poor dog is now going to be subject to a lifetime of pain.  

Oh, the stories I could tell.

Yes, buyer beware.

I had pure bred dogs for many years.  I then helped with Greyhound rescue for a number of years fostering, sitting, some training and we did adopt one we lost to Lymphoma last year.  

A few months ago, I adopted a little Chi mix from the Shelter (another story).  Broke my heart to go through the Shelter to see numerous Chihuahuas, Pit Bulls and mixes.  Young moms with litters of pups.  Tiny pups brought in with no mom from probably unplanned breedings.  I knew the majority of these dogs would either probably due of Parvo or put down for lack of adoptive homes.  So sad these poor animals were brought into this world to end up in a bad home, a Shelter and probably put to sleep.

Yes, each pure breed deals with their own genetic issues.  Nothing is 100 percent foolproof, but a reputable breeder is trying to maintain the quality and integrity of a breed.  Lots of testing is done for possible genetic problems.  they know pedigrees and the dogs behind their lines.  Yes, costs a lot of money.  Stud fees, for the breed I had, are now up to minimum $700.  Most females have to be tested for possible STD's before breeding.  If she needs a Csection or extra Vet care, add that expense.  Puppies need workings, shots, food and socialization.  Anyone want to add up those basic expenses?  Maybe I end up with a singleton litter or a litter of 2 and I don't keep any as show prospects.  Maybe I sell one puppy for a few hundred. How's your math?  
This might help explain why some breeds are so expensive.  Breeding is really a science when done correctly.

Yes, Buyer Beware!  

Please check out your local Shelters and Rescue groups.  Every pure breed has rescue groups.
Bumping up again
Cost???? Well let's see....the last litter of puppies I bred cost me, not only the entire litter of 13 (I sold one puppy) but vet bills in access of $10,000! Just anote to say: YES, you read that right.....$10,000 ! If you run into a problem with a litter.......so THINK before you breed!
Right! And think before you buy!
I hope people that read these forums take heed.  
I used to go to my kid's schools and took my dogs, did a few obedience demos and talked about the importance of spay/neuter and basic training.  Even to this day, I get calls from of those "kids" that ate grown now asking for advice, breeder referral, etc.
Very long story, but I had the first Shelty diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  I used to take the affected male I had and his unaffected mother to the schools.  Made an impression to see,what appeared to be a normal dog, could produce this male.  
I suspected something was wrong and it took me doing a lot of pedigree research, contacting breeders in the US and Canada and a lot of research but I was pretty sure I was dealing with an X-linked chromosome disease of some muscular type.  Made an appt at UC Davis. They were skeptical but I took 4 or 5 dogs up and all my info and pedigrees.  Muscle biopsies confirmed the diagnosis.  I pulled my show dogs, didn't breed anything in that line while doing all this.  Completely halted one breeding program I had been working on for years.  Replaced, at my expense, a puppy I had sold I was sure was affected.  The poor buyers were attached to this puppy and it took me a while to convince them they were looking at an unhealthy dog.  Yes. I eventually had to put him down but they were entitled to have a healthy pet.
Another reason I always day to only buy a pup with a health guarantee.
Geez..... I hope people are reading these posts! Maybe they will begin to understand what a reputable breeder has to go through! We should keep this post bumped!
Yes, agree and hope people learn something from this.
Then there was the time my female got sick after whelping, large Vet bill and I had to tube feed 8 puppies around the clock for 3 weeks.
And tube feeding can be so much fun, ........NOT! this really needs to stay bumped!
Yes. And you better know what you're doing.  Add burping time and stimulation to potty to that every 3-4 hours.  Then having mom full of milk and not being able to nurse puppies and caring for her.
And the list goes on....
and on......    I love burping the little ones, I have to admit.
Me too but not so much in the middle of the night!
Bumping up again due some of the recent puppy posts
Thank you Margot.....I've read the posts, too!  ;(
Margot49, You should put this post permanently at the top of your page! Maybe it will make some kind of impact.Can that even be done???
I have no idea
I'm going to rebump this wonderful post for someone on the forum in need
Bumping up
Bumping this up again!
Bumping this again too especially since it is Christmas!
Bumping this up again especiallyly due to some recent postings and the fact it is Christmas and "questionable" breeders like nothing better than to have Christmas puppies to sell!  In most cases Christmas is one of the worst times to bring a new puppy home,

Bump
Bump
Bumping again