Dogs Community
CANKER SOARS ON MY 14 YEAR OLD CHIHUAHUA MOUTH

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I HAVE A 14 YEAR OLD CHIHUAHUA, HE HAS CANKER SOARS IN HIS MOUTH, AND DROOLS GREEN SALIVA. I TOOK HIM TO THE VET THEY RAN A BUCH OF TEST AND CANT FIND ANTHING WRONG WITH HIM. HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THERE DOG AND WHAT CAN I DO ? PLEASE HELP
Poor thing mustbe miserable.
Glad you took him to the Vet. What tests did they run'.  This could be a sign of liver or pancreatic disease or enen a herpes virus or some bacterial infection.  How are his teeth and gums?
I think, if it hasn't been done, you need to get some diagnostic work on him like a complete blood pavpnel, a thorough dental and/or cleaning and I think I would ask the Vet to culture the saliva and oral cavity.
I have never had this happen but that is the course I would, especially dye to his age.  His mouth must be sore so I think you should only be feeding soft or canned food.
Please keep us updated and hope he gets better
Welcome...This sounds like "CUPS" Disease!  Here is a link to explain it:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/mouth/c_dg_oral_ulceration_cups#.UMAucoWDlcB
Well, I seem to have been going in the right direction, at least toward testing and diagnosis.  Never heard of this.  Learn something every day then it is a good day.
Your welcome Margot!
The problem with CUPS, if it is CUPS, is that this disease, while it CAN be caused simply by severe dental issues, is often diagnosed secondary to another, usually serious condition.  Diabetes mellitus, thyroid issues, renal disease, certain forms of cancer, autoimmune issues, and renal disease are all diseases that can lead to a dog developing CUPS.

I would definitely seek a second opinion since it's pretty obvious that SOMETHING is going on with the dog.  Please post back and let us know what you find out if you contact another vet.

Ghilly
I have took him 2  4 diffrent vets they ran diffrent test on him and they all came back negative and one vet burned the blistered off him but they came right back . Does anyone know any home remedy . Please help thanks
Could this be an allergic reaction to something he's eating? Have you tried to rule that out? Your not going to find home remedies, as we don't know what's wrong w/him.....I still would mention CUPS disease to your Vet.....It's basically, that the dog becomes allergic to it's own bacteria in the mouth.....

If you have any more information, please post it.......Maybe someone else will recognize the symptoms......What have any of your Vets prescribed as treatment? Any meds or mouth sprays? Let us know......Karla
Yes, please do update as I am not knowledgable about this CUPS, if that is what it is.
How do they test and diagnose for that, Karla,
On an off chance, have you changed food or using any new treats? Is he licking anything in the house or yard?
Goes he have plastic feeding bowls?
Just throwing stuff out here.
Margot, I don't know how they test for it.....Good question! Possibly symptoms to begin with.....Karla
The vet has ran every test they can run on him and they say there is nothing wrong with him . They even ruled out cups . All the vets keep giving him is calomox antibiotics . It stops the canker soars for a couple of days but they keep coming back . Last year he would catch frogs in his mouth and I told that to the vet, he said the frogs would have nothing to
Do with the canker soars . Is there a liquid canker soar medicine that I can put in his mouth . Please reply back . Thanks
I am trying to read up on some stuff when I get a chance.
I wonder if an antacid might help.
What us puzzling to me is the green saliva that would indicate infection, no?

Sammy, has the Vet actually taken any cultures of these sores and the saliva?  I would want that done and see what the results ate.  He might want to send them off to Michigan or Ohio State.
Well, I am reading a number of causes from food to immune problems, liver or pancreas to Pemphigus and Lyme disease.

Sammy,
What food are you feeding and are you using plastic dishes?
I am going to go out on a limb here.  I recall my son in law, who is in the Navy, that he takes Lysine daily.  The Navy doctor told him to take it because he often hot cold sores.  Said he hasn't had one in years.
So, I did a little checking on the Internet and you can give it to dogs and cats, seems to be popular in the feline community and I read it is prescribed by holistic Vets.  I am sure it would have to be dose specific but makes me wonder if it might be worth a try with your dog.
You might discuss this with your Vet, or a holistic Vet, and see if it would hurt to give it a try.  
You might do some reading up on it yourself.
However, I would definitely discuss trying this with the Vet first.
Sammy, we may can help you, but you need to tell us everything that this dog eats. (Including treats)....I'm going on the assumption that your Vet is correct & cannot find anything wrong.....

There ARE certain toads that yes, cause a reaction (Usually foaming at the mouth) & some toads can be fatal if eaten!!!!  However, it's normally an immediate reaction, not days or months later......

DO NOT use anything OTC for Canker sores in your dog's mouth!!!!!It's not worth the risk of chemical poisoning......

There are Dental sprays (For dogs) that can be purchased in petstores or online.....They work by killing bacteria in the mouth which might be helpful in your dog's case....I would be cautious because they are full of alcohol & will burn these sores like He!!......

If he were mine, I'd try coconut oil....You need a high quality one (Preferably organic) from a healthfood store...It is NOT liquid unless heated above room temperature.....It will come in a jar and is a solid substance...Like a paste...
Coconut oil has many healing properties: Anti-bacterial & Anti-fungal to name a few.....It tastes good and is wonderful for it's Omega 3 fatty acids when ingested.....So, there is no harm in swallowing it......
Take a clean cloth or your finger and rub coconut oil on his gums, teeth and all sores in mouth.....It may just work!!!!! It sure can't hurt!!!
Do not contaminate the jar with anything....Scoop a spoonful out to use...

I also would feed some plain yogurt with each meal.....Let us know, Karla
Hey Karla and everyone else who has posted here , I took your advice and went and got  some coconut oil and plain yogurt . I'll keep u posted on how it works . U seem to have alot of knowledge on dogs . I would love to fax u all of his paper and lab work and see what else u come up with. One  of the vets that i took Sammy to suggested that I might take him to a dental specialist and have all his teeth pulled . But they won't $3,000 dollars and they don't guaranteed that will work . But I don't have that kind of money anyways . I just wish I could put the pain on me instead of my little guy he is so miserable . Thanks again on any info and I'll keep u posted on the coconut oil and yogurt
Sammy.....Again, Please LIST what your dog eats.....There may be a connection between chemicals & sores in his mouth......Also, treats.....Thanks
I feed sammy little pieces of hot dogs for treats and he eats blue buffalo dog food from the vet . I also feed him boiled chicken with rice and lettuce . I was also wondering if I can rinse his mouth out with salt water or would that's burn his soars . Thanks for your help :-)
Hey does anyone know if the foods that I am feeding Sammy could have something to do with the canker soars and green salvia . Any suggestions of what I can do . Please help !! Thanks for all replys :-)