Dogs Community
Cancer, Allergies or ???

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Cancer, Allergies or ???

My dog has several lumps and bumps on his skin.  He had seven removed and biopsied last December, and each one was a different benign growth.  One of which was a lipoma, which has since grown back.  Current symptoms for which I took him into the vet two weeks ago:
-Urinating in the house
-Seems warm to the touch
-intense itching
-Looks like he has lost a bunch of weight
-not acting like himself
-coughing here and there
-spitting up (yellowish color) intermittently
Vet visit:  Temp 102.8, weight: 80.8 lbs (a ten pound loss.)  Exam:  vet says he looks "bony" and that his skin is really pink. Vet ordered CBC/Chem panel, Urinalysis.  Results: mostly normal, with the exception of slightly elevated eosinophils in blood, and very elevated pH in his urine
I just switched him over to Hills' Prescription Diet WD w/chicken dog food about a month ago, and increased the amount to 4 cups per day. Previously, he was eating 3 cups of Natural Balance Reduced calorie food per day, since I adopted him in 2008. He has recently lost 10 pounds, so the vet had me double his food intake to see whether he just needs to eat more, or if he truly is losing weight for no reason. So, he has been eating 8 cups per day (1/2 in the AM, 1/2 in the PM) She also had me start given him 10mg Claritin two times per day, which really seems to be helping with the itching.  I am supposed to take him back to the vet next week for full body films, and a urine culture.  Just now, I found a new lump on his hind leg.  It feels similar to the lipoma, however he does not want me to touch it.  HE has also started smelling really bad this week.  Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong?  I assume that if he has cancer, something more would be wrong with his bloodwork, right?    Please let me know what else we could be looking for, other than cancer.  Thanks!
It might be more helpful to you if you posted your question on the "Ask A Vet" forum (to find that, scroll down this page until you get almost to the bottom, then on the right you will see, under "Related Expert Forums" ..."Animal Health General"
Click on that and you will get through. Dr Cheng, or Dr Carol Osborne will surely be able to advise you.
Thank you for your advice.  I actually posted it in that forum prior to posting it in the dogs forum, but I haven't had any responses yet.  I do appreciate you responding, though.

Thanks!
As far as I know (but please don't take my word for it because I am not a vet) -raised eosinophil levels can indicate an allergy or even possibly a parasitic issue.
Also I happen to know that the herb "Echinacea" can sometimes raise eosinophil levels. (so I don't know if she has been given that, or if she is on any alternative medication which may contain Echinacea.)

Usually with cancer, there are "tumor markers" present in the sample, and a raised white blood cell count generally. There may be other signs as well, such as raised liver values....
But as I said, please don't take my word for it because there is an awful lot I don't know about bloodwork.

No harm in giving your vet a call, and having a chat on the phone, so you are more clear. This won't cost anything either.