Candice Ann, 5 yrs old Rott. Pain hind quarters
Candice woke up from a deep sleep whinning, wimpering and limping. She is an inside dog and we don't get much exercise, not by choice. She is 15 lbs overweight. Prior her limping issue I had taken her to her Vett to trim her toenails when the Vett mentioned her quivering when she was touched. I thought she just "did that". She said it COULD be indicative of pain and sent us home 1. On a diet. 2. Joint health chews. 3. Keep her as still as possible. After 30 days she stopped quivering and that was about the time she started limping. As much as it would kill me I am not going to keep her here with me if she is going to suffer. I will put her down first. She and I are all we have so I am praying it's a sprang or cramp or ? Fixable. When I first brought her home at 11 weeks old she was examined by her Vett and she said she DID NOT A have hip dyspepsia. The X-Rays since then show the beginnings of Arthur
... pls give us some guidance.
Poor Candice. The best thing you can do for her right now is get her weight down. The less weight she has for those joints the better. I obviously don't know why exercise has been impossible in the past, but don't know your situation. Also, if she is in pain already, and the vet avised to keep her still, then exercise is not advisable for now.
But ideally, and if the bad pain has eased, then gentle regular walks would help. Or even walks around your house would be better than nothing.
Joints can take extra stress when the muscles and ligaments are 'out of tone'. The joint bears all the force during movement. Regular exercise builds strength in muscles and ligaments.

If arthritis is only just beginning, then now is the time to look for ways to stop it progressing further if at all possible.  There are options for athritis management.
There is a good short article about arthritis management in dogs here:
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health/pet-health-information/arthritis-in-dogs/

It certainly won't do any harm to start her on Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements.
The dose would be 500mg Glucosamine for every 25lbs of weight....and 200-400mg Chondroitin. A little vitamin C is also recommended because it helps the dog's body make use of the Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Omega 3 oils are necessary too for joint health. Salmon oil is good but there are other sources too.

It would probably help a LOT if you took your dog off commercial kibble and dog food as soon as possible, and home-cook meat/fish/vegetables instead. Boiled white or sweet potatoes are also ok for dogs. Some grains are OK, such as wholegrain rice, barley etc but most of the grains in that commercial food are not good for dogs.
If you home cook, make sure you get a good food supplement suitable for dogs to add to the food. A little fruit is ok also, such as apples cored and seeded, (no grapes or plum or peach pits!!) Some dogs like bananas, and in moderation a bit of fruit occasionally is okay.
My sheperd ausie mix has that problem I give her a asprin once in a while but not all time asprin can cause trouble
I am a wreck over Candice. The Vet put her on those joint chews you mentioned and you know for a dog that will eat out of the trash can. She sure gives me fits with those chews for her joints. They don'the smell bad & I took a small bite & they are not nasty or anything?

Candice turned 5 yrs old on 9/5/15. The Dr also gave NSAID she said it was like a Advil for pain. Then last night my cat came in from outside & was pretending to be a tri-pod. Won't put any weight on her left front paw. Now watch I will fall and twist an ankle! Didn'the say that....