Canine Cushings - Dog isn't eating much any longer
My dog has had Cushings Disease for approximately 8 months.  She will be 11 in September.  At first she would eat a lot and drink lots of water.  She always had a very healthy appetite.  She now isn't eating much, she barely eats any of her dry or canned dog food.  This just started a few weeks ago.  She recently was at the vet with a bladder infection, had crystals in her urine.  She will only walk for about a block then stops and wants to go back home.  She is a pit bull and she used to have so much energy.  Is she at her end stage with the Cushings??????  PLEASE ADVISE.  THANK YOU.  
There are several different causes for Cushings Disease, or hyperadrenocorticism.   The first is the overadministration of corticosteroids.  This type of Cushings Disease is easy to deal with and cure, you simply stop administering the corticosteroids and the dog's system reverts to normal.

Cushings Disease is also caused by a tumor on the adrenal gland.  This type of Cushings is dealt with by removing the tumor.  Once the tumor is removed, the adrenal system returns to normal and stops overproducing adrenal hormones.

Then there is the Cushings Disease that is caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland.  In veterinary medicine, this type of tumor is almost never operated on, and the prognisis is not very good in that the lifespan of a dog diagnosed with a pituitary tumor is, at best, about two years.

Do you know what type of tumor is the cause of your dog's Cushings Disease?  If the tumor is on the pituitary, it may or may not be that her body has fought as much as it can.  It would be best, if the changes in her energy levels and activities are drastic, to make an appointment with your vet and let him evaluate her.   He would be the only one who could really give you an accurate assessment as to what stage of the disease she is in.  

It's very difficult to watch a beloved pet with a progressive disease.  You are in my thoughts.  Please keep us posted as to how she is doing.

Ghilly
Thanks for your reply.  I think the Cushings that my dog Shadey has is the pituitary type since her personality has drastically changed, although the vet hasn't tested her to determine what type.  She is barely eating.  She goes back to the vet on Friday to get her urine re-tested so I'm going to talk to the vet to see what's best for her.  She pretty much just sleeps all the time and barely even wants to go outside any longer.  I haven't treated her with any of the chemo drugs because I can't afford it and no one is home during the day to monitor her if she were being treated.  I don't want to see her suffer but my heart is breaking, actually it's already broken just seeing her this way.  :(
I'm sorry to hear about Shadey. Let us know what the vet says, and just try to spend as much time with her as you can.
Trying to locate you. You sent me and email about my Sharoie/Golden Retriver concerning her "cushing disease" but I was unable to get it becasue I ahd to change my password,etc. I forgot the whole sign in stuff . I tried contacting them but was easier just to start over. If you remember answering me please write to me agagin.

Thanks,
Terry
That's how my dog was towards the end, I'm afraid. He too had Cushings but did well for years. This last year he started going downhill, first with his legs giving out, getting tired out easier, then losing control of his bladder to not eating much and then not eating at all. I'm sorry you're going through this. I do understand. It's hard to watch our pets when they're sick like that. I'm so sorry. Please stay in touch with us and if you ever need to talk please feel free to come back on here or you can contact me through pm, if you like.
Hugs and blessings,
April
How long did he live after he stopped eating? My dog has gone 4 days without eating.
Dog blind from cushings adapted well but now on day 3 not eating -what was your prognoses?
My 10 year Sheltie same symptoms thinking of taking off the meds ..waiting to meet with Vet she also has the beginning stage of an Ulcer due to the Meds... This disease is a DEATH sentence ..I've put down 4 dogs in 10 years with this disease and other issues... the suffering n waiting is not worth it.. Just my thoughts. Wishing you n your dog the Best!