Dogs Community
Canine Kidney Disease Lifespan .....Survey?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

When a person is told that their dog has kidney failure, the biggest question is, How much more time can I reasonably expect my dog to live...? Because each dog is different, Veterinarians and the internet, are vague...some say weeks to months...others say months to years.  I hope the information collected here, along with recommendations and guidance from the dogs veterinarian, will offer dog owners helpful information, and realistic expectations. I would like to hear some input from others, as to what information would be helpful.  For example...Breed, Age, Symptoms, Creatine, Bun, and Phorsphorus levels at time of first exam that revealed Kidney Disease, as well as End Stage Symptoms and Lab Values ( if known. )   How Quickly did the disease progress. Did the dog die naturally, or was the death assisted. I think this type of information would be very helpful to anyone and their dog, who has to deal with this disease. I would prefer it, if anyone who offers the information, could refrain from sharing personal stories, and just try to list information. Does anyone else think this is a good idea....or not...?  Please share your thoughts with me.....Thanks
Connie
My dog was diagnosed this week with very early-stage renal failure. I know some about some things, but I know very little about renal failure, how to cope, what foods to give.....etc
So I am on a steep learning-curve myself.
My dog is fortunate in that she is right now super fit and well, you would not guess there was anything wrong with her. Her only symptom is she is drinking more than twice as much water as before, and she has bed "accidents", quite easily dealt with by plastic sheeting under a cotton sheet, and dog-diapers with pads.
She is also fortunate that this was caught at a very early stage.
Kidney failure cannot be reversed. The kidney -unlike the liver- has no powers of regeneration. But the disease can be treated, and the aim is to hold back the worsening of symptoms for as long as possible through medication and diet. It's about management -not cure. The ideal is to plateau out at the level of kidney function the dog has when first diagnosed.

So of course, this is going to vary from dog to dog, and depending on what stage the disease is at when it is first discovered. It depends on how instructions are followed re. diet....it depends on the dog's general fitness.

I have such a lot to learn myself about this. And my answer is probably not what you are looking for at all for your survey. I can report back if you wish, with info. about my dog as she progresses.

Bearing all this in mind, the thing to do is keep vigilant, but live day to day. And listen to professional advice.
My dog was diagnosed in November of 2010.  He is still here and has a good quality of life.  Daily IV fluids given by me at home and pills have provided him with more than one extra year.  His levels were off the charts when first diagnosed, weight lose was what made us notice something wasn't right.  After 4 months of meds and IV his levels were reduced and brought way down.  They are back up again now and it's just a matter of time.  But with a good vet, money, and a lot of your own time, you can definately give your pet a fighting chance and more time with you.
My Dog was diagnosed at then mid November 2011.  He was in seemingly good health but had occasional lack of appetite and lower energy level so we took him to the vet.  They did a routine exam and said everything looks fine but ran the bloodwork. His levels were at 130 and 10, i believe more than twice normal levels.  He was immediately put on IV fluids for 3 days in hospital.  Levels went down to half those levels in a few days.  The vet said at those improved levels some dogs could live months or years.  We brought him home and did twice daily under skin fluids plus standard recommended meds and kidney diet.  We then took him to a kidney specialist who was trying to determine at what stage of Kidney disease he was at.  Got his levels down a little more a week little later,  things were looking promising and his energy levels were increasing dramatically.  Less than a week later, he completely stopped eating.  Took him to specialist after 2 days of not eating.  The specialist thought it was nausea causing him not to eat.  So we checked him in .  Next day he was worse, the next day the vet said he had 3 weeks to live.  The following day they said he might not last the weekend.  The following day they said it was not humane to keep him going and he was put to sleep.  Entire time from first diagnosis to his passing was about 3 weeks.  My conclusions:  1) This is a absolutely devastating disease,  2)  The best that modern medicine has to treat this with is not very good  3) Vets  really dont know what causes this and how long your dog has,  every dog is different.     The only promising treatment i could find is stem cell therapy and that is in experimental stages.