Canine Kidney Disease Lifespan .....Survey?
When a person is told that their dog has kidney failure, the biggest question is, How much more time can I reasonably expect my dog to live...? Because each dog is different, Veterinarians and the internet, are vague...some say weeks to months...others say months to years.  I hope the information collected here, along with recommendations and guidance from the dogs veterinarian, will offer dog owners helpful information, and realistic expectations. I would like to hear some input from others, as to what information would be helpful.  For example...Breed, Age, Symptoms, Creatine, Bun, and Phorsphorus levels at time of first exam that revealed Kidney Disease, as well as End Stage Symptoms and Lab Values ( if known. )   How Quickly did the disease progress. Did the dog die naturally, or was the death assisted. I think this type of information would be very helpful to anyone and their dog, who has to deal with this disease. I would prefer it, if anyone who offers the information, could refrain from sharing personal stories, and just try to list information. Does anyone else think this is a good idea....or not...?  Please share your thoughts with me.....Thanks
Connie
My dog was diagnosed this week with very early-stage renal failure. I know some about some things, but I know very little about renal failure, how to cope, what foods to give.....etc
So I am on a steep learning-curve myself.
My dog is fortunate in that she is right now super fit and well, you would not guess there was anything wrong with her. Her only symptom is she is drinking more than twice as much water as before, and she has bed "accidents", quite easily dealt with by plastic sheeting under a cotton sheet, and dog-diapers with pads.
She is also fortunate that this was caught at a very early stage.
Kidney failure cannot be reversed. The kidney -unlike the liver- has no powers of regeneration. But the disease can be treated, and the aim is to hold back the worsening of symptoms for as long as possible through medication and diet. It's about management -not cure. The ideal is to plateau out at the level of kidney function the dog has when first diagnosed.

So of course, this is going to vary from dog to dog, and depending on what stage the disease is at when it is first discovered. It depends on how instructions are followed re. diet....it depends on the dog's general fitness.

I have such a lot to learn myself about this. And my answer is probably not what you are looking for at all for your survey. I can report back if you wish, with info. about my dog as she progresses.

Bearing all this in mind, the thing to do is keep vigilant, but live day to day. And listen to professional advice.
My dog was diagnosed in November of 2010.  He is still here and has a good quality of life.  Daily IV fluids given by me at home and pills have provided him with more than one extra year.  His levels were off the charts when first diagnosed, weight lose was what made us notice something wasn't right.  After 4 months of meds and IV his levels were reduced and brought way down.  They are back up again now and it's just a matter of time.  But with a good vet, money, and a lot of your own time, you can definately give your pet a fighting chance and more time with you.
My Dog was diagnosed at then mid November 2011.  He was in seemingly good health but had occasional lack of appetite and lower energy level so we took him to the vet.  They did a routine exam and said everything looks fine but ran the bloodwork. His levels were at 130 and 10, i believe more than twice normal levels.  He was immediately put on IV fluids for 3 days in hospital.  Levels went down to half those levels in a few days.  The vet said at those improved levels some dogs could live months or years.  We brought him home and did twice daily under skin fluids plus standard recommended meds and kidney diet.  We then took him to a kidney specialist who was trying to determine at what stage of Kidney disease he was at.  Got his levels down a little more a week little later,  things were looking promising and his energy levels were increasing dramatically.  Less than a week later, he completely stopped eating.  Took him to specialist after 2 days of not eating.  The specialist thought it was nausea causing him not to eat.  So we checked him in .  Next day he was worse, the next day the vet said he had 3 weeks to live.  The following day they said he might not last the weekend.  The following day they said it was not humane to keep him going and he was put to sleep.  Entire time from first diagnosis to his passing was about 3 weeks.  My conclusions:  1) This is a absolutely devastating disease,  2)  The best that modern medicine has to treat this with is not very good  3) Vets  really dont know what causes this and how long your dog has,  every dog is different.     The only promising treatment i could find is stem cell therapy and that is in experimental stages.

My MinPin was just diagnosed with kidney disease and was doing poorly.  After being in the hospital 3 days with fluids, etc. she has perked up.  She is now home and I am doing fluids 2-3 times a week (on first week).  She's ok but is not eating very well if at all.  She is not drinking much at all either.  She will eat people food in small portions but not her diet dog food.  I have spent @ $1,000.00 so far on her treatment and not sure how much more I can spend.  I feel awful.  I love her but I don't want her to suffer.  I don't know what to do.
Has your vet suggested any type of anti-nausea medicine?  Do you know what her levels were - specifically BUN and creatinine?  Depending on what her levels are and what the vet is telling you, you might consider getting her to eat anything.  Try ground meat, pasta, chicken, even bacon to get her to eat.  Since she's smaller, can you give her water via a plastic syringe?  Daisy was never good at taking pills so I'd have to crush them up, mix them with water then shoot them in her mouth.  Not a fun process, I ended up getting wet more often, but it was an option.  

Unfortunately, as you probably already know, this disease is irreversible.  Since she was diagnosed, I am sure there were signs leading up to this and usually that means 75% of their kidneys aren't working.  If you can't afford it, then think about your sweet girl.  You'll know when it's time.  
This is wrong to give a dog protein. Protein makes kidney disease worse.
I have a 15 year old Maltese who was diagnosed with early disease in 2009. I was instructed by his vet to cook ground beef, white rice/ white bread and 1 tums for his meals. At the time his BUN was 55 and Creatine was 1.4
At around 2011 his BUN was 26 and Creatine remained the same.  On April 7, 2014 he went into severe kidney failure. He was hospitalized and at the time of the blood work his BUN was 157 and I believe his Creatine was 2.4  He was hospitalized for three days, flushed out all the toxins, and had IV’s. Since then he has been on the RS recovery kidney diet, and now is on the KD diet and drinks plenty of water. He has gained weight and is pretty active. Just had blood work done and his BUN is 23 and Creatine is 1.1
The vet said all is normal.  He will continue to be on the KD Diet. My vet said she has never in all her years seen a dog especially a senior dog bounce back.  He eats 4 small meals of KD everyday and is pretty much hydrated.  I am just taking it one day at time with my little man and being realistic especially since he is 15 years old.   He has a recheck next month and I can report back with what his blood work shows.
Hugs to all.
Typo * kidney disease in early 2009
My two-year old lab, Betty, was just started on a diet for kidney disease. He creatinine was 1.5 mg/dL when she was 9-mo old. This past March, her level was 1.6, and this week she has gone up to 1.8 with elevated BUN of 28 mg/dL. She is so young. Will my time with her be cut short? Is/will she suffer(ing)?
As an update, Betty was put on K/D and her BUN normalized to healthy levels and her CRT stabilized at 1.6 for 2yrs. It was a true blessing. Recently, a holistic vet recommended a raw food diet with high quality protein and low phosphorus. I wanted more nutrients in her diet since she's so young, so we tried it for 4 weeks. We checked her levels yesterday and they are the highest they've ever been - BUN @ 29 and CRT @ 2.1. I'm devastated. I feel terrible. Protein content does matter for kidney dogs. We're back on K/D and hoping with all of our hearts that she can return to more stable values. She's so young... Has anyone tried the supplement Rena Food for their pups?
I too found out in February that our 13 yr old shitz-a-poo Shammy has kidney disease.  We have done everything we could between meds, iv fluids and keeping her happy and comfortable.  She hasn't really eaten in the past few days and my heart is breaking everyday.  My vet feels that doing bloodwork at this time is pointless since we are doing everything we possibly could.  This is the hardest thing I've ever been through.  I too would spend every dime I have to help her.  When she was 10, she had back surgery costing 9K.  I wish this deadly disease was curable because I feel her life is being sadly cut short.  I sympathize with you and know exactly what you're going through.  My only comfort is knowing that she will soon be in a better place where I hope she will be waiting for me.
My mixed breed was diagnosed February 2013 pre-renal failure, initially only in urine, and after a couple of months it presented in the blood as well.  This past Wednesday, May 14, her phosphorous rose to 16.  This Friday, May 16, she was breathing heavy, drooling crazy, spitting out any food I gave her, barely drinking, and at 12 years of age, was recommended we put her down.  With over a year from diagnosis, I agreed, although it broke my heart.  I was told with kidney disease, its rare to even get them to live a year.  She was on benazopril, lisinopril, phosphorous binder, aspirin, fish oil, NF kidney food (when she felt like eating, which wasn't often as she hated this food…she still had an appetite up until the very end, just not for this food).  

We were told she would basically hold steady and then there would be a sudden drop, and that was basically how it happened.  I think I misunderstood that this was a manageable disease once we figured out the magic equation of meds, and that we would have more time, but I am grateful for what we did have with her.  Until this past week, you wouldn't have known even one day she was sick.  She always had energy, always had a pep to her step, and always with a smile to her face.  I didn't want her to suffer, and as she was barely drinking, and wasn't eating at all, even with the options for aggressive fluids for the weekend, with the potential for a turnaround, it would have returned to the same behavior and her feeling horribly all over again, and to what end should be put her through this cycle of feeling sick?  I still can't believe she's not here, but she put up the good fight, and she fought a most fierce battle.  Best of luck with your dog.
I'm sorry about the loss of your sweet pup.  It is so heartbreaking to watch them decline but you did the right thing.  You helped her for more than a year and you are right, most people don't get that long out of a dog with kidney disease.  Daisy had about 13 months too.  

The disease is manageable if treated early, but it is not curable.  I think that's where we all get confused.  We'd love to save our sweet doggies but once we learn of their disease it's often too late.  

Daisy had a sudden drop in January and spent 4 nights in the doggy ER.  Once I brought her home, she was never the same.  Every day we had to administer SUBQ fluids at home, weekly blood work, vet visits, etc.  Three weeks after she came home, she stopped eating, the vomiting started again and she was losing quality of life.  I knew when I saw her on Friday that she wouldn't make it through the weekend.  I spent all night holding her, trying to calm her down and just remind her how much she changed my life.  Saturday morning wasn't much better, she still hadn't eaten and was barely drinking.  She just kinda stumbled around until she lost her balance.  It was the hardest decision of my life but I knew I wouldn't let her suffer.  I called the vet and she and her daughter met me at the office.  It was just my family and the vet.  It was very comforting.  

I hope you find peace in your decision.  It won't happen overnight, but I truly believe dogs 'visit' in our dreams to show us they're okay wherever they are.  Daisy comes to me every once in a while, when she knows I need a little push to get out of bed, take the next step, etc.  The good thing about a dogs love is that it never leaves you.  Their paw prints are always on our heart :)  
I want to share our experience with our 13 year old Shih-Tzu who was diagnosed with renal failure, two months into it at this date.
Her numbers as everyone has experienced were way high at the time of diagnosed, BUN 92 and Creatine was 3.9 (+/-).  After her first fluid treatment in the animal hospital the numbers came down but still had issues trying to get her to eat the KD or any of the other kidney diet foods which is why I’m responding to this. We switched vets just trying to get some help from someone, anyone!  
One day while watching my wife mush up the can food and trying to force feed poor Buttons we came up with the idea of using the blender and adding RO filtered water to the mix and forcing the food through a syringe, bingo, that worked but it really stinks!  We were told that Buttons maybe had a month or two to live but after a week of this and giving sub-q fluids daily we have a new puppy and her BUN numbers were cut in half, creatine came down to 2.6.
Someone said on this tread that they take it one day at a time, us too but for now we have a barking playful dog again.  BTW, she has been spoiled her whole life and now is no exception.  She will eat on her own but prefers for my wife to feed her like a baby, go figure.  
There’s much more to her story but limited space.  My email if anyone wishes to write back is; joseph.***@****  
My dog, a shar-pei had been always sick, since she was a little cuddling puppy. She suffered from what is called FSF, familial shar pei fever - nasty episodes of high fever 'that possibly at a later stage 'might' result in renal failure', like an autoimmune disease, born with it. Some vets say that one of the main triggers involved in the initiation of fever episodes is stress. I tried my best to offer her a stress-free environment and therefore less fever episodes and no renal failure. I chose the houses I moved in and the holidays based on that stress-free criteria: no noise (she hated the ambulances sirens), close to parks, forests, with a little place where she can sat outside (she loved bathing in the sun) and bcs she hated taking the real baths and was causing her a lot of stress, I reduced the baths to once a year and the rest of the time I used dried shampoos and napkins, my friends and family often complained about the smell, I didn't mind it.

After three years of frequent fever episodes she stopped having them and I was happy, thinking I finally did something for her. I discovered that magic formula. but in April 2012 she was in the dog ER with IV fluids for two days, they did some tests and I remember them saying "the tests were good and no sign of renal issues' and I took her home. After two months she started drinking a lot of water while peeing a lot, even in the house bcs she couldn't hold herself. I took her to another vet, after the tests she said " it doesn't look that bad, a slight kidney problem, let's put her on the kidney diet for three weeks and see how it goes". It went well. She stopped drinking a lot of water and she stopped peeing the usual big puddles.
After a month or so I took her back to the first vet, thinking they seemed more experienced, did another set of tests which showed 'a possible kidney problem in the future, but not now' I kept her another five months on the kidney diet but bcs she was loosing a lot of weight and she hated the food I changed to another diet, a bit more tasty. All this time she seemed fine, occasionally she was nauseous in the morning, but she had a lot of energy and optimism, in some of our lovely days together I used to walk her even for five hours at a time and she was still not tired.

One year later, I moved over to France and got another vet for her. And when she got really sick, last year in September the vet kept her in for five days in the hospital with IV fluids and she put her back on the horrible kidney diet plus ipaketine and rubenal "for life", they said. This time, last September, they also said 'it's kidney failure but not too bad, early stage, I've seen much worse" I must say that ipaketine and rubenal helped a lot with the nausea but she always had very loose stools.
Afterwards she went there every two months for a few days even a week but she also had an incredible three months - fit, happy, eating her diet food with a bit of appetite, no need for vet, put a lot of weight, I even nicknamed her 'jambon' bcs she had big healthy muscular legs. And just when I was hoping to have her around for years to come,this May she started going down, eating occasionally, very loose stools, tired, anxious, problems sleeping, vomiting huge amounts of white foam, not the usual, the vet changed her medicines: maalox, ranitidine plus rubenal plus some antibiotic (?? I wondered if it was okay in kidney failure?) this June she only had two good weeks but the rest she was in a really bad state. that was the first time when I realized that it was over. But I didn't give up.  I still tried to find remedies, I even went to a homeopath for animals, I read, actually re-read everything about kidney failure. I re-watched the videos on how to give IV fluids at home, in France, the vets are not only not encouraging to give IV fluids at home but they strongly advised against it, therefore every time I asked them about it, they opposed.
I was so scarred of causing her more stress, or making her feeling worse, I questioned all the treatments, I was even convinced there was a better medicine scheme that I hadn't discovered yet. This Saturday we went back with the IV fluids and some injections, on Monday they said she had started eating, good stools, relatively good BUN and that we can take her home, but they would also recommend another 48 hours to see if the bun and creatinine can go even lower. On Tuesday, they called me to say that I should put her down, everything went up again in just one day and that she was in very bad shape. I couldn't believe it, on Monday I could have taken her home and on Tuesday I had to put her to sleep. On Thursday we played with the ball and now she's gone.

I have so many "maybes" and no answer. Maybe I should have taken her home on Monday and maybe she would have gotten better being at home with me. Maybe I should have never changed her medicine. Maybe I shouldn't have given her antibiotics. Maybe I shouldn't have changed her diet, back there when they were saying there's no renal issue for now but in the future. Maybe if I didn't let the fox to wonder around the garden and possibly given her some worms that combined with her very fragile health resulted in total renal failure. I'm left with sleep-eating "maybes"...

When I went to the vet, I was convinced I should take her home, but when I took her for a little walk around the clinic, I realized that the dog in front of me was not my lovely optimist kina, there was a tired dog,with swollen and shaved legs and belly from all the tests and scans, barely walking, swollen bottom from all the loose stools, she was fed up with fighting, she didn't even want to go home, she didn't even put a fight, as she usually did, when returning to the vet. And she was finally at peace when she was put to sleep.
I apologize for such a long post, without no conclusions and no hope for the others who might experience the same fight as Kina and me did. I could only say that ipaketine, rubenal, the diet food, the love, the long walks, but also plenty of rest, the stress-free environment, careful surveillance on not scavenge or drink from bad puddles of water eased her symptoms and a little lean meat from time to time mixed in the horrible diet food helped with her humor. And also that there comes a time when you have to let them go, and as someone put it here, you'll know when that time will come. My dog lived two good years since the very first signs.

Thank you Connie for this initiative of opening this thread, I think it helps sharing our stories, understanding and finally accepting that is an incurable disease, and maybe the owners who are experiencing this dreadful disease might find useful information or support.
She left a tremendous gap in my life and even though I hated this disease I would start all over again just for those short five years of one of the finest friendships.

Miha
Wow, thanks for your long story.  My almost 15 year old Chihuahua Buddy was diagnosed with Kidney Disease today and I am exhausted and confused on what to do or not do.  Some dogs are very brave and can put up with a lot.

The trouble is my little man is a real coward and can't put up with hardly anything!  I was faced today with putting him on IV fluids for 3 days at a cost of $3000 after doing an ultrasound, and I know this would break his spirit being thrown in a cage with needles (which he hates!).  I asked for 'Plan B' and they gave me antibiotics (as they think he has been sore from some inflammatory problems) and told me to get the drug that will bind the phosphors to get that out of his body, and I also took home a pain killer and the special 'Renol Diet' which luckily he seemed to love tonight.  They told me to come back in 2 weeks.  His stats were very bad today, but they said the antibiotics could help to improve his kidney stats alone in 2 weeks time.  He also has bad teeth at the moment, but they don't want to give him a dental because of his bad blood and kidneys right now.  Was told that it's literally possible to just forget giving him all the drips, forget having the teeth done - and just keep him on antibiotics and on this diet to maintain things; the vet said she saw one dog live for 2 years that had kidney disease just on the antibiotics alone.

They seemed to understand that this little dog couldn't tolerate drips for days as he is not brave.  I asked the vet what his end will be and she said that kidney disease is not painful at all and is actually a peaceful way to go!  It's just that at the very end she said he probably will not want to eat and will start throwing up and at that stage I should put him down.

I have mixed feelings.  Some reports seem to have good response to the drips and the 'home care' drips - but others go through all this and the dog seems to die very quickly anyway.  I guess because Buddy is such a 'sook' or a 'baby' I need to protect him and not put him through too much.  I'll see how the diet and antibiotics go for now.  He's drinking plenty of water which the vet said is great and will help to flush the kidneys out.  Anyone  ever just used antibiotics and the diet - giving the dog lots of water to drink?  What are some natural alternatives that can help that aren't too intrusive to the pet?
We lost my sweet dachshund girl to kidney failure last week - July 15th. Last November, we took her to the vet for incontinence, blood tests showed elevated BUN 81 and Crea 2.5. He put her on a low protein dog food and prescribed Proin for the incontinence. He didn't tell us that those test results were already extremely high, or that the Proin could affect both her kidneys and her heart, didn't even tell us she should have a recheck on the kidney function. She seemed fine, other than she wasn't able to control her bladder.  After 3 months on proin and a strict canned crap diet, she began having difficulty walking, her heart felt as though it was coming out of her chest, and suddenly, the incontinence was back. Repeat of blood work showed BUN 120 Crea 3.5 and a heart problem. Vet told us to put her down, but I refused. We got a second opinion, and switched vets. We began heart meds, a homemade diet and sub q fluids, which brought the kidney #s down, but it eventually sent her into congestive heart failure. Had to back off on the fluids.  We spent the her last three months trying to strike a balance, and she had a few bad days, but mostly really good ones, and we spoiled her rotten. A week ago Sunday she stopped eating -- refused everything, she had diarrhea and began vomiting. When her appetite waned previously, I'd give her a sub q or two to flush out toxins, and she'd start eating again and clearly feel better. This time, I could tell it wasn't working.  She didn't bounce back on Monday, or Monday night, and couldn't keep her meds down -- no heart meds, no antacid and no cerinia.  I was praying she'd perk up again and start eating but she didn't.  I called the vet Tuesday morning, couldn't get in until 3pm. By the time she was seen she hadn't eaten for 48 hours. A recheck on the kidney function showed BUN off the charts above 180, Creat of 6.5 and she had mouth ulcers. The vet told me intravenous fluid wasn't an option because of her heart. We could try a cerinia injection, take her home and continue sub qs, but there was little hope that we could get those kidney values down low enough to make her feel much better. I wanted to take her home so badly and try ANYTHING, but I couldn't put her through any more misery just to buy me a day or two more with her, so I made the hardest decision of my life, and I'm heartbroken and feel so guilty. She was the sweetest, smartest little girl. I helped deliver her 11 years ago  -- I still have her mom, who's 13 and going strong. I believe she would have enjoyed a few more happy years if I hadn't put her on Proin.
What is the KD diet and where can I find it ?
My Australian Cattle Dog was diagnosed with kidney failure a couple weeks ago. She is only 2 years old. The whole time I've had her she has had bathroom issues;she could never hold it longer than a few hours, I had to let her out over night, she was dripping and always peed in her crate. She always had a water obsession that I wrote off as a quirk. Well, recently I had noticed her appetite was way down but I thought some dogs will just eat when they are hungry. I took her to a kennel while we were out of town for the weekend and they called me saying she had collapsed on the ground but she now seemed ok. I kept her at home the next day while I went to work and when I came home I noticed she had thrown up in her cage and was having diarrhea. I called the vet and they wanted to see her immediately.I took her in and they ran the blood work. Her 3 kidney levels were off the charts and her blood level was low. They kept her for 2 days hooked up to an IV and flushed saline through her system in hopes it would remove the toxins. After 2 days the numbers were lower, but basically unchanged. The vet said she was also anemic which I've read is another side effect of severe kidney failure. She reccomended a blood transfusion but that by itself is $800-$1000 and I have already (in 2 weeks) spent almost $1000. She came home with a special KD food and a bunch of pills and some Pepcid. The vet rechecked her levels after a week and they, again, lowered but a smidge. And her blood level dropped more. So at the moment, we are still feeding her the special food and she is on the piils and we are going to check her levels again in a week. If they still remain unchanged, I guess we will continue the food and pills and monitor how she is acting. But she acts 100% fine, you would never be able to tell she was sick.
Our dog was DXed when he was adopted at a year old and was taken to be neutered.I don't remember what his numbers. I do remember that several years into the diagnosis of Chronic Renal Failure, I asked our vet for a ballpark number of the years we might have with him. At that time, his numbers were rising so slowly, that she felt there was no reason not to have him till he was 10 years old or even 11. He died at almost 12 years old. He was a Golden Retriever, and CRF tends to be familial in that breed. In his later years we noticed his gait was odd, and found that he also had Degenerative Myolapathy. For the CRF, we blood pressure meds, had him on a prescription diet for CRF and added some higly bioavailable proteins alond with aluminum hydroxide for a binder to his kibble. We did Subcutaneous fluids too, though they aren't as successful for large dogs as they are for small dogs and cats. He didn't seem to mind it. so we felt even if SQs helped a little, it was worth it.
We did have to euthanize in the end, the DM (sort of a doggy version of ALS) is a progressive nuerological disease and he was losing his battle with that. 12 years isn't bad for a big dog with all that he had against him. He was an awesome pup.
My 16 year old chow mix was dx sept 2013 with beginning stages of renal failure.  His specific gravity of urine was low but his creatinine and bun were still in the high end of normal (I think 1.3 and 30). The doctor estimated a year and recommended 300ml subq fluids once a week at this point and k/d diet.  That worked fine for six months. In April 2014  He started losing his appetite among other issues with dementia and odd gait (ataxia).  At this point I switched vets because I knew there would be a roller coaster of treatment approaching and needed a vet that could spend lots of time with me so I could learn and set up a plan of action.  In April 2014 his creatinine was at 2.1 and bun at 60.  We started him on 300mg daily subq fluids (plasmalyte) rimadyl (for arthritis)and azodyl 3x daily.  He stopped eating k/d and wouldn't even touch ANY dog food so for the next three months I cooked him his meals- anything he would eat on his own pretty much. Not nutritious at all but he was still eating on his own a bit.  By June 2014 he lost 15 pounds (from 45 to 30) because of lack of appetite.  His bun was 85 and creatinine 2.2. We then started him on tums (100mg a phosphate binder)and benezapril (high blood pressure). He got so sick with diahrrea for two weeks from this whole cocktail! So after making him eat pumpkin, which helped I stopped all meds other than the sub q fluids. A miracle happened- he then started eating dog food on his own! Lots of it!  He loves red barn's beef roll and I/D. So for the past month he has been eagerly eating on his own and seems very alive and happy although he keeps losing weight.   He had his check up today (aug 2014) and the vet said she sees a huge improvement with alertness, blood pressure, and overall vitals (w/O any meds for a month) His creatine is slowly going up still (2.4) but his bun dropped to 60. So I'm not sure if all the meds together help or hurt.  I'm scared to start them again and he will stop eating again.  The vet tried acupuncture today too to help stimulate his appetite and increase stamina.  I was skeptical but when I got home from the vet he went on a 10 minute walk eagerly. This is a learning experience for me and him.  It is worth the fight  and money though to keep him happy.  The fluids are around $25 a bag which isn't bad.  So I would without a doubt at least give them these as a hydration and flush.  It was scary at first with the needle but I'm over it and it only takes 5 minutes a day.  I know I won't have him forever and understand that he will eventually stop eating again and his #'s will go up and I will have to put him down but at least he has this 2nd wind now. The vet warned once the creatinine gets to 3ish he will get very sick and it can happen real quick. So I'm hoping to prolong that and enjoy every minute with him.  
My Yorkie was diagnosed with kidney failure in September 2014. She was in the hospital for 10 days (over $6,000) where they ran tests and found out that she developed kidney failure from eating chicken jerky treats. It is called Fanconi syndrome and the FDA has been investigating the deaths and illness of several dogs due to eating chicken jerky treats. I purchased Dingo Market Cuts from Walmart and both my dogs got sick throwing up and with diarrhea. After a week eating the treats, my smaller dog did not want to eat and started urinating during the night (It never happened before). A very expensive urine test diagnosed her with Fanconi Syndrome (kidney failure). I wonder how many dogs have gotten sick from eating chicken jerky treats. I stayed away from treats made in China but the Dingo brand is made in the US. Still my little Yorkie is now sick and her life expectancy is shorter. She went from a happy 6 pound dog to a 4.8 pounds dog in 3 weeks. She is not eating much and is now anemic.i give her IV fluids everyday and she requires medications to control her nausea. I am spending as much time with her as possible and I cannot imagine my life without her. She is so sweet and did not deserve to get sick from a dog treat. I am worried that the treats that made her sick are still being sold by Walmart and I have not been able to post a review on their webpage.
Hello Claudiaca-----I'm so sorry to hear about your little one.....Fanconi Syndrome has been non-stop since 2007......There are many web sights still monitering this disaster!!!!

Please start posting your story on any page you can find...Consumer Affairs.com is a beginning......

The most powerful page related to this issue is "Truth About Petfood.com".....Susan Thixton has a ticker going on her page until the FDA wakes up and analogizes the problem.....

Please send her your story, too...She will respond and warn others...Sign up for her newsletter.....She also has a Facebook page.....Post it there, too... This women is powerful, trust me!!!!

I'll be praying for you & your little one.....We have wonderful threads on this forum about kidney disease & treatments......We also have a speciality forum on just this topic.....Please join us & read what others have to say....Take care.....Blessings to you both, Karla

Claudiaca--There is no sense complaining to any of the powerhouse companies like Wal-Mart or Dingo...They are not listening....

Yes, they are still being sold at Wal-mart!!! To answer your Chicken Jerky question: THOUSANDS have been poisoned &/0r died from eating these tainted products.....

You MUST get your story out!!!!  Karla
I just learned that my relatively healthy 15 year old min-pin has CRD. Last week when we took her to the vet, we found her BUN to be 74 and Crea to be 2.3. She was eating fairly well but had been a finicky eater for years. When she was young, we always added carrot sheds to her food...than 1 day she stopped eating the carrots in her food, so we didn't add them anymore. Yes, the vet bills can get expensive, but SQ at home really does help. I also have her on KD, which I thoroughly blend adding a little tuna juice and lots of filtered water. She eats 2 meals a day. Her skin is now tight, so she appears to be well hydrated. I think the tuna juice helps make the KD more palatable and I've even started adding shredded carrots to her food. I do SQ every 3 days (100 ML) and monitor her urine. So we'll see. I have also fostered many dogs that we ended up actually adopting because no one else wanted them. I've had 17 dogs in our house at 1 time and loved them all. With so many dogs (and many of them seniors), you start seeing trends as to what works and what you should continue doing. What I've learned (from our personal experience): 1. Try to work with a good homeopathic vet. In fact, both my traditional vet and homeopathic vet have worked together on several of my dogs and they respected one another. I made it very clear from the get-go that I wanted it this way as my traditional vet is less than a mile away from our house, while our homeopathic vet is 30 miles away. I (from the very beginning put myself in the driver's seat). 2) Trust your instincts. You're with your pet more than anyone else...so you do have a voice. 3) Do your own research and understand that much of what you read can make or break you. You have to know what to siphon as good info and as bad. Everybody else's experiences will not necessarily be yours. 4) Listen to your pet - you'll know through observation how much more s/he will be able to handle. My Ginger is a tiny dog (at optimum health, she weighed lbs). Now she weighs around 5 lbs. There are good homeopathic and natural remedies that a good homeopathic vet can suggest. These forums actually do help. The support I get (just by reading these posts) help a great deal and I'll continue to give updates here. Good luck everyone and Happy New Year.
My dog was diagnosed with renal failure yesterday.  He is approximately 13-14 y/o (rescue, so not really sure) 53 lb. Australian shepherd.  A little over 6 months ago, we did his routine "old man" blood work and found he was a little anemic.  We brought him back a few weeks later to see if there was any change.  He was still a little anemic, but there was no change in the results.  So, we thought we'd do periodic blood work to check on it over time.

He had been getting to be a pickier eating -which was pretty much solved by wetting his dry kibble down a bit (I feed Wellness).  Then when that didn't work as well, I added some wet food mixed in with moist kibble and that has been working well.

He started having a few accidents in the house - not many.  But he can usually hold it about 4-5 hours.  He has also gotten very week in the hind end.  He is on Dasuquin MSM supplements for that, but it no longer appeared to be working.  So, we went to vet yesterday thinking we were dealing with an arthritis issue.

Blood work was done.  He's still anemic.  His BUN was 81 and Creatinine was 4.2.  Vet said his kidneys were down at least 75%.  She estimated days to weeks.  She didn't think dietary change would be helpful at this stage.  She mentioned fluids, but felt it was going to be "liters and liters" and she didn't sound optimistic.

There was some bacteria in his urine, so she prescribed a round of antibiotics.  She also prescribed Tramadol for his arthritis pain since no other options are available b/c of the status of his kidneys.  She also recommended Pepcid AC 20mg capsule daily.

My dog has been sleeping a lot in the past several months.  I attributed it to old age, as I did the couple of accidents.  Today he didn't eat all of his breakfast and I am going to search for some low protein dog foods I can put him on.  Today I have just been trying to learn all I can about what his happening to him.
Hi. I am sorry to read your dog has received this diagnosis. Please join our special User Group on MedHelp - the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group.You should see a box on the main MedHelp front page (top right hand side) that is for searching the website. Just put the group name in it and click the magnifying glass. When you get into the User Group's first page, join it (become a member). There's now about 100 dog owners in this group, some that have had dogs with kidney failure and some that still have dogs with it. It's a great place for getting information and support. I administrate this group.

Hopefully I will talk to you more once you are a member, but in the meantime have a read of this article I wrote:

http://www.infobarrel.com/My_10-Point_Plan_for_Dogs_with_Kidney_Failure

If you want to find a low-protein diet suitable for kidney failure dogs, look for specific renal canned (wet) food, as this contains about 80% water and helps flush the kidneys. Most good pet stores will sell at least one variety.

Low protein may be helpful, but it's the quality of the protein content that's more important. The amount of phosphorus content is important too - try to maintain a diet that is low in phosphorus.

Here's another article of mine on how diet affects kidney failure dogs:

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Diet_Affects_Dogs_with_Chronic_Kidney_Disease

There are lots of other articles by me on canine kidney disease at:

www.tonyboothwriter.com

Hope some of this helps.

If you join our group, please start a new thread with the name of your dog and a brief history (like your first post above). People will then respond, including me.

Tony
I found my poodle as a a stray in 2002. They guessed her to be around 2. In August of 2013, we found that she was in kidney failure. Her body adjusted and she lived another 2 years. I had her put to sleep just a few days ago, August 13, 2015. On July 31st, her BUN and CRE levels showed that she  had gotten much worse. She was now declining quickly. The past week there were days when she ate nothing. We assisted in her death because she was so weak and we knew she was not going to get better. I am grateful that I had those 2 years. She was approximately 15 when she passed. A few things I learned that I really feel helped. The last few years I fed her Earthborn holistic dog food mixed with home cooked veggies. I gave her half diet and half meadow feast to reduce the protein a bit. But, I did give her high quality protein like chicken, beef or cooked egg whites mixed with her food sometimes. She rarely got store bought treats. I made her sweet potato chips in the oven. She loved them. My vet recommended Epakitin to sprinkle on her food. I did not push her in her activities. When we went walking, if she got tired, my husband or I would carry her. We loved her very much. I hope this info helps someone. Best wishes to you all. ~debbie
I am so very sorry for the loss of your little lady.
It must have been very hard for you,seeing the
great love you had for her to come here and to
share the ways you helped her, for that THANK
YOU it may help others through this terrible
journey.
It is too late but we do have an excellent forum
here run by Tony and other folks like you who
have gone down this road who offer help or
information to others who have fur kids with
kidney issues.
RUN FREE AND FAST little lady and again,I
want to thank you for sharing your story.
Jan
Hi Debbie. Yes, please join our User Group. I think your input would be invaluable to others going through the same process with this dreadful disease. And thank you Jan for promoting our User Group. We are at almost 100 members now - and everyone in it are "family" - offering information, support and advice to each other and anyone who visits.

Tony
My Sheltie Jax went into liver failure last Sept and is still here. Vet said he had horrible numbers and was in end stage. I put him in animal hosp for 1 week, when we brought him home would not eat, I bought him Canine drops from 5 Leaf Pet pharmacy and followed their protocal. We went from infusing twice a day at home to sometimes once a month. He eats no dog food, he eats eggs, pasta, gerber baby food, sweet potatoes, cooked shrimp, cooked or boiled burger, beef, rice, watermelon, blueberries, apples, carrotts, eggs and toast. just no pork, onions, grapes, choclate, raisans.  he is doing good, still have to infuse from time to time but do drops and people food and he is still here with me. Go to 5 leaf Pet Pharmacy and look up Canine kidney health. Buy drips, feed real food and infuse when instructed. Puppy can live longer! Best of Luck.....Susan
Hi Susan. Yes, some supplements are helpful. I'll have to check what's in 5-Leaf, which I've heard of, but not checked out. Just one point (mainly for our kidney failure dog owners) ... the liver is one of the few organs in the body that can repair itself, providing a disease has not damaged it too much - but the kidneys cannot do the same thing. Once they are damaged, the damaged sections remain damaged regardless of treatment or supplements, and the aim is always to prevent further damage being done.

Tony
Hello to another Shih Tzu owner,

My Bailey 11.8 years old was  diagnosed in July and had a 4.9 creatinine, urea Nitrogen 93, phosphorus 6.3.  5 lb weight loss. The ultrasound showed kidneys to be extremely small, no stones. As of last night I have started him on 100 ML fluids  subcutaneously. 10 mg Pepcid twice a day Trying to figure out best foods for him?mI love my little guy so much.
Wondering how your dog is doing?

HJ_K
Hi everyone,

My dog has been diagnosed in December 2014, one kidney removed in April 2015. Doctors said to wait until he dies, as there was no hope. 95 BUN and 2.6 Creatinine. I was getting ready to put him to sleep, as he was not eating, lethargic and tired of going to the hospital every single week. I refused to give up on him and found a holistic vet who gave a treatment plan.
1.The best thing you can do for your dog is NO COMMERCIAL FOOD. Cook for your dog. This is the only way you can control the chemicals in the food. I feed mine boiled rice and chicken and add veggies and fruits. Find herbal vitamins and add to food to make it more balanced.
2. Probiotics are essential - dog's intestines can act as a filter as long as theyare healthy. This will help with diarrhea and lack of appetite as well as immune system.
3. No Pepcid, TUMs or ANY medications - you are poisoning your dog's body with meds as kidney can't filter these! Use Slippery Elm powder instead.
4. Activated Charcoal is essential to help your dog's body get rid of the toxins. I started with 3 times a day in between foods. At least 2 hours before and after the food, as it will absorb everything - good and bad.

My dog has been stable. He is eating and playing.His ONLY kidney is  15% operational. I have not checked his blood values, as after so many visits to the hospital he is becoming stressed out and aggressive if brough to the vet. I can tell though by the way he is behaving, that he is doing much much better.

Sometimes conventional medicine does not do any good, but only harms the animals. I can tell, as I spent 40K last year trying to save him. Now , my expenses are minimal and it works.

If you want to talk in more detail, lmk and I will provide my info.

Best of luck
Please see my last comment to HJ_K. There IS hope! Do not give up! Let me know if you need any extra info.
Hi. A couple of things ... first, please join our CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group here on MedHelp, if you haven't joined it already.

Second, 3 useful articles of mine that will certainly help you and your dog:

http://www.infobarrel.com/10_Home_Made_Recipes_for_Kidney_Failure_Dogs

and

and

Hope you find these informative and useful.

Tony
I have a staffy who is 5 and was diagnosed with CKF the other day. His BUN was 108 and his creatinine level is an 8. We found yesterday that he also has bacteria related AKF.  He hasn't lost his appetite and appears to be relatively comfortable. His BP is stable and normal.  We just started him on 3 day antibiotic cycle and have him on a fluid treatment. I have no clue what to expect from him and his longevity at this point. I have full coverage on him and hope that insurance doesn't give me too much trouble as I am now $5500 deep and expecting to increase closer to $8000. This disease came out of nowhere and has ripped a big whole in our family.  I'm hoping that by killing the strep in his system, it will bring down his numbers significantly.
Hi. Please join our Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs user group here on MedHelp. Once you are a member, please re-post your post above. Thank you. Tony
My yorkie was diagnosed with kidney problems in July and she went down sick over weekend and now at vets getting fluids for couple days I'm really worried that I might have to ,well I'm not sure.she has been on precriptin can diet and blood pressure pill but her numbers tripled I don't no what to do I love her so,she,s my pal
Hi annab1331.

My boxer has just been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease (stage 5) and as a result has been prescribed a multitude of medications and a prescription diet.  I am not convinced that this is the way to go in terms of putting additional stress on his body through trying to process a range of different medications. I would love to know how you have dealt with your dogs condition.

Kind regards
Nikki
Hi. Please join our Chronic Kidney Disease in Dogs User Group for support and information. I am a little confused when you say stage 5 ... as there is no stage 5. Stage 4 is widely recognised as end-stage in kidney failure.

Tony
I have a 13 year old Yorkie Her name is LULU she is our princess and is the boss of our home we have an 90lb gentle  giant Black Lab named Champ and an 8 month old 96 pound Rottweiler named Bella. All of them love each other but certainly allow lulu to be the alpha!  They don't have a choice HAHA!  Shes the boss! .. Lulu was diagnosed with kidney failure about 1 year ago.  I was devastated I didn't know what it was or how she got it. She was also Diagnosed with Lymes disease as well   We have been through a lot of issues diahrea on and off Colitis, Vomiting All of that it goes in stages.. She usually will do very well for a month and then it comes again.. I was told by a friend about Fluid Treatments.. I started them immediately.. We did a 10 day treatment where we took her to the vet twice a week for the treatment.. Lulu is so small I am afraid of doing it myself since she is so thin.. She has always been thin Her highest weight was 6 lbs in her prime.. I took her in because she was just so sick and I thought for sure I would have to put her down.. The Vet said Lets give it a try it wouldn't hurt.. Well, Miss LULU is a very different dog.. She has energy she eats and drinks and has great bowel movements no more Vomiting etc... She had an  episode a few months ago I took her in for a treatment and she has been fine ever since.. We are flying to Florida on Tuesday so I had to take her in and get her health certificate and my vet said she is a miracle dog.. She cannot believe how well she has responded to the treatment and her levels are good now.. We take her once or twice a month for a treatment.. She does not like the KD Food at all So I started feeding her Fromm Family food and her coat and teeth are healthier than ever and she has been gaining wait again.. With the little babies its so hard to decide what is best.  She has a few days here and there where she doesn't eat she sleeps she is lethargic may have some diarrhea but after a treatment she's back in business I believe in these fluid treatments and feeding the right food.. I think LITTLE lulu will be around for more years to come.. Thank you for allowing me to share Don't forget there are so many puppies up for adoption that need a good home, Love Them while they are here,  And When they are gone, Find a new baby so many just need a home!  .. I will follow up with any details I can in the future...
I didnt know how to edit my post but I wanted to let everyone know Lulu is right now 3.8 and was down to 2.4 pounds when I first took her in She was light as a feather.. So scary. You have to be very diligent vitamins are essential. I don't think asprin is good for dogs with kidney failure so I have not tried that and wanted to know if anyone new anything about it.. Thank you again!
Our 1.5 year old beagle pup has just been diagnosed with kidney failure (after being a survivor of a severe parasite attack which depleted her blood levels close to zero).

initial blood results are showing 'bad' news with creatinine levels at 6 although he is still eating on his own (chicken meat). he has been on IV now for a couple of days at the vet pending a second bloodwork two days from now. hoping for better numbers (T__T) as vet services is not cheap if you ask me.
This is almost certainly Acute Kidney Failure rather than Chronic Kidney Failure. The good news is it is more easily treatable, but any damage to the kidneys cannot be reversed, so continuing with IV fluids and any back-up management is essential. At least until blood numbers are within normal range.Tony
Ok here is my breakdown without all of my history of how it came to be.

My 9 yr old boxer had blood in his urine in 2012. Went to vet ER and had a spot on his pancreas. He is very aggressive now to vets due to this visit because the forcibly muzzled him and sedated him. My noral vet never treated him this way but now she can't even touch him. So as you can imagine testing is hard. We have to catch his urine and take it to her. Or he has to be given a sedative prior to arrival. (He was bitten by a rattlesnake when he was 5. He got between it and my mom.)

After the 2012 event his fluid intake was extremely high. But his intake and output was normal his urine levels were normal and no other symptoms 2013 or 2014. Though his behavior became more aggresive and he slept alot. Had little interest in doing much besides riding in a car.

Suddenly around May we noticed we could hardly keep enough water out for him during the day or night. He was panting more and seemed to be uncomfortable no mater where he layed. He stopped sleeping in the bed with us. Then in June of this year his 2015 at his annual checkup his levels of protein in his urine were off the chart. 9 the vet started crying. She came out and told use he was in end stage renal faliure. I asked how long her exact words could be week could be months but no more than 6. Due to his aggressive behavior she was reluctant to put him on the meds for this because of the steroids in it. This can increase rage in boxers.

We put him on a special diet and I made sure he always had fresh water. Taste of the Wild I found he liked best. It costs about 1 buck per pound and 1.99 per can. I mix the wet food with the dry and he seemed to eat that well. He was still eating all way up to tomorrow morning when he will be crossing over the Rainbow bridge.

Symptoms list that told me it was time are as follow:
1) Blood shot eyes- they look like there is little to no white color left.
2) Dry cracked skin on nose. No moisture at all.
3) swollen abdomen. Ascites is what it is called.
4) swayed back due to ascites
5) heavy almost constant panting
6) sleeping alot
7) inability to stay asleep for long due to discomfort and the need to change positions
8) pain when touched or pushing on abdomen evidenced by snapping behavior
9)loss of balance and inability to stand
10) seizure
11) lack luster coat
12) sudden desire to be cuddled
13) sadness in eyes- depression

Here are things that had me doubting my decision to put him down

1) still happy to see us
2) ocasinally would want to play
3) eating normal
4) no vomiting or diarrhea
5) still liked going for rides (though not for as long as before)

So as you can see without crunching numbers, technology mubo jumbo, and just looking at the signs it is time. Thanks for your question it helped me decide to tonight that what I am doing in the morning is what is best for my baby boy.
Read my thread. I just posted about it with my dog. He is a 9 yr old boxer and will cross rainbow bridge in morning. I laid out the symptoms I have seen in him and the food that kept him alive 6 months when my vet thought that without the meds max would be 2 months. So 4 more moths hey I will take it.
Hi. I firmly believe our dogs tell us when the time us right. It's a secret message they give to the ones they love. And it's all in their eyes and the glances they give you. I know today will be a very sad and traumatic day. Take comfort in the fact you did your very best for your boy and gave him some extended lifespan by helping him.

Tony
Hello, I would like to know how your dog is doing now? We expect my dog to begin having it. Any tips? Advice? things we can do? He is a 15 year old toy poodle.
how do you give activated charcoal?
If owners have dogs with kidney disease, please consider joining our special group here on MedHelp ... the CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE IN DOGS User Group. Lots of info, help and support from experienced dog owners.

Tony
My Coton de Tulear started being a bit lethargic and stopped some of his daily habits such as playing with his toys.  I also noticed a horrible odor in his breath that was getting worse.  After 2 or 3 weeks I took him to the Vet.  He had lost 18% of his body weight since his last visit less than 2 months earlier.  The Vet ran a full blood workup and his numbers were almost off the charts.  He was in full Kidney failure and given 7-10 days to live.  This seemed to come on sooooo fast and was very aggressive.  IV fluids helped make him more comfortable by flushing out some of the toxins, but did nothing to prolong my short time with him.  It was all very fast and little to any notice.
My dog's a 10 year 3 month old American Eskimo who has been diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. He is not doing well at all, it started with his feeling lethargic, and then he started vomiting blood and had bloody stools. The vet gave him IVF, and the blood stopped. We got some blood work done, and his creatinine was 1.4 and BUN was 14. He then started vomiting bile, and when we got blood work done a week later, his Creatinine shot up to 4.5 and BUN to 68. The vet is giving him IVF again, and has asked us to hope for the best. He is still vomiting a little, and our vet has asked us to keep him off food completely. What would you recommend? Is there any coming back from this? I can't bear to see his pain.

Thanks so much.
I have only just seen your message. I don't always get the time to look at the general forums, I'm very sorry. Yes, kidney disease is all too fast sometimes, partly because dogs tend not to show symptoms until it's too late. If you still need support, please join the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User group here on MedHelp. That's where you will find me most days.

Tony
Hi. First of all, please join the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group here on MedHelp. It's where you'll get lots of info and support from owners in a similar position as you. It's also where you will find me most days.

IV Fluids are the first line of treatment for kidney disease. But it's not enough on its own. Ask your vet to teach you how to perform SubQ fluid therapy at home. This helps continue the benefits of fluid therapy, but it's also better for your dog because they are under less stress from being at home instead of at the vets.

The blood is likely to be from ulcers along the gastric tract. There are several ways of treating these, including a dessertspoon of chopped cooked green leaf cabbage every day (for a dog that is eating okay). If a dog isn't eating, then your vet should consider the best medicinal options while also considering the kidney disease.

If the vet has said no food then how is the dog getting nourishment? I assume through the IV feed? Please check. Without nourishment, your dog will go downhill rapidly. Nourishment is needed for energy and to fight the kidney disease and any potential infection.

Yes, your dog can improve (although kidney disease is ultimately fatal) and may live for a longer period and even for a year or two with a reasonable quality of life, as long as the kidney disease can be stabilized. Time will tell.

Once the IV fluid therapy is finished, it is vital the vet performs a blood pressure check and assesses the urine for specific gravity, any UTIs, and protein leakage. If there are any UTIs, a culture and sensitivity test will be needed BEFORE any antibiotic is given.

Keep me informed how things go.

Tony
Thanks for the prompt response, Tony.

Tomorrow will be his Day 2 of IVF. My boy isn't technically hospitalized, and we take him to the vet in the morning and evening for IVF. Our vet is providing the nourishment through the IV feed, he told us of that. The blood isn't present in his vomit or stools, though he is vomiting bile. It isn't much, but he vomits a little at least twice every day. We put up in India, so he has asked us to arrange Lipid Infusion, if possible from the United States.

I've joined the group, thank you so much!
Hi Tony. The vet has started administrating Intralipids to my boy since yesterday. He is still vomiting, and although our vet is giving him anti-vomiting injection, it doesnt seem to help much. He vomits a little bit about 4-5 times a day, and its white foamy stuff  (Sometimes yellow). Last night, he urinated a little on his bed. That said, he urinates about 4-5 times a day and quite a bit.

He drank water by himself today, but he's getting very weak. His hind legs are weaker and he gets tired easily, even after walking some steps. His vital stats are normal, as per our vet. His blood test is tomorrow, and we are hoping that the reports are good.

What do you think? Really hoping the disease stabilizes.
He is vomiting too much, today mostly yellow thick stuff. Assuming it is bile? I don't know what to do. We are really worried now. What can we do?
Hi.

I have replied on the other thread you posted to.

Tony
My fourteen and a half year old Pekingese was diagnosed with kidney disease and pancreatitis. The Vet had said I could put her in the hospital with IV fluids and make her comfortable. My little girl was throwing up bile every morning as soon as she would drink her water. Her tail was down. I tried chicken and rice and all of her favorite foods. I loved her with all my heart. Letting her go was the kindest thing I could do for her. I have read many blogs and many posts. I have read posts that pet owners are willing to spend every penny in their bank account to keep their pets alive. Many Vets count on that fact. Loving a pet is knowing when to let them go and do what is best for them. It really isn't fair to a pet to keep them going just because in this day and age we can even though deep down we know they are not comfortable and there is no cure. I miss my baby so very much but I loved her enough to not make her suffer. I wasn't going to stick her with needles and force feed her. She deserved to leave this world with compassion.
I am sorry that your dog is sick. I hope your dog will respons well for all the medications. On Valentine's Day I lost my baby Lili, she was a Yorkie 12 years old,  and she suffered for chronic kidney disease diognosed 10 months ago, I had to put her to sleep.  It's terrible disese. I still feel guilty of that decion, but I couldn't stand the look how she suffered last days.
Hi. Firstly, I am sorry for your loss. I do however have to correct your statement "This is wrong to give a dog protein. Protein makes kidney disease worse." ... which is not correct. In fact, proteins are absolutely essential for most dogs with kidney disease, as it provides vital energy. The important thing about protein is the TYPE of protein - in kidney disease, it must be high quality (so human grade meats and poultry). Protein restriction down to about 8% of a meal is generally advised when the disease reaches stage 3 and 4, but in stages 1 and 2 adequate protein of about 15%-18% of the daily diet is recommended.

Tony
To the best of my knowledge, it's only prescribed by veterinarian's.
Oh boy, none of this is very encouraging. Our 2 yr old standard poodle became suddenly sick. Rushed him to the emergency room. He spent 3 days there on iv fluids & his CR levels hit 6.8 . I took him home when they dropped to 4.4, BUN 88. They've dropped to 2.2, he's now eating & has energy back, which is very encouraging. We're down to a 1.2 litre bag of fluid a day...until his next test. We're over $6000 into this to date & they still can't tell us what the heck caused this. They're thinking it's Leptospirosis, but can't confirm that until they find antibodies present in his blood, hopefully by next week. I'm beyond heart-broken & thought for sure he was going to die. I'm cooking for for him now & have everyone I know praying.
Lepto is a common cause of Acute Renal Failure, so it's very possible. It would be useful (once your dog is back to good health) to have all blood levels repeated, have a urinalysis undertaken and an SDMA test (Idexx Labs). This will help your vet decide whether the renal issues have developed into a chronic condition. This is important, because if it has become chronic, symptoms may not show ... but the condition will continue to deteriorate until it becomes severe. What I'm trying to say is, please have the tests done, because if chronic kidney failure is present, it is best managed early to prevent a very fast deterioration.

If Lepto is not the cause, then pay close attention to what you may be feeding (poor quality foods, and dry foods in particular, can contribute to kidney failure). It's also worth thinking about any toxic chemicals you may be using inside and outside your home, as these too will cause the disease, if they are consumed). Finally, it may be congenital, in which case an ultra scan of the kidneys may be helpful to achieve a diagnosis.

Tony
My dog Sadie has kidney failure.  She was diagnosed in April.  I saw the vet 2 days ago and he said kidney failure is an awful disease and irreversible.  He told me to take Sadie home and if she did not eat and was throwing up that I should bring her back in 2-3 days to put her to sleep.  I am saddened by this since she has been my shadow, a Yorkie trait, for 10 years.  As I have watched her these last days I know her quality of life is zero.  She has a small cough all of the time now and I cannot watch her suffer.  I will take her in tomorrow and put her to sleep and she will be at peace.  I would like to note that my vet was honest with me and said that there was nothing to be done to increase the length of her life and it is an insidious disease.  The pet suffers no matter what you do.  He was honest with me and I appreciate that.  I guess I am lucky because he gave me a time frame not that it makes it any easier to let her go.  P.S.
  Watching her these last 3 days I realize that it would be selfish to keep her living.  She is suffering and could have back pain, and her lungs probably are filling with fluid due to cough.  You need to ask yourself if this is what you want for your sweet, loving, devoted pet.  I will miss my shadow but I know in my heart that it is the responsible thing to do as a pet owner.  
SadieLa ... Sorry to slightly disagree with you - not related to your own situation - but to others that may be reading these posts.

While chronic kidney disease is not curable and is progressive, we are often able to extend lifespan AND improve and sustain a good quality of life for months and sometimes for a year or two. It takes early diagnosis, good pro-active management, commitment and expertise ... but it is achievable.

Using euthanasia is not always the necessary first step and can be delayed, if management and treatment is intensive and both owner and vet are onboard. Owners are best advised to get all the facts, take on board what your vet tells you and consult widely for a second opinion. Armed with all the facts (including all blood and urinalysis reports), an owner can make an informed decision.

Tony
Our 11 year old beagle, Libby, was diagnosed last week Wednesday.  However, I believe she was in significant failure by the time of diagnosis- her BUN and creatinine were very elevated (I don't remember numbers exactly) and her phosphorous was off the charts at the vet.  She hadn't been eating much for several days before the vet appointment, and was lethargic, which is why we took her in.  She had IV fluids and perked up for about 24hrs or so, but still wasn't eating, became more droopy, had diarrhea and bilious vomiting.  Subcutaenous fluids at home didn't help perk her up at all, and she still wouldn't eat, so couldn't get any meds in her either.  We made the heartbreaking decision yesterday that she had reached the end of her time with us, and so today we will be saying goodbye to our sweet Libby.  I know in my heart it's the right thing to do, as she is obviously uncomfortable and disinterested in food, water, and even us, but it doesn't make it easier.  From diagnosis to having to put her down is less than a week, unfortunately.  In hindsight, there probably were some signs earlier, but were chalked up to her age initially.