Dogs Community
Canine Kidney disease and Bloating?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Canine Kidney disease and Bloating?

We just lost a member of our family. Chester (73lbs) was 9 1/2 and never diagnosed. We noticed excessive urination and a few days passed before we took him to the emergency room. They gave him an antibiotic for possible UT Infection and awaited the results of the blood work. We went to the vet 3 days later and the blood work seemed normal. The excessive thirst continued and he now was not moving much. We tested for Lyme, Rocky Mtn. Addisons and put him on renal food. As we left the vets office he stated.." I believe you something is wrong but right now he looks like the picture of health." He stopped eating and was given Doxyclene. We did not give him water for 24 hours to see if his urine concentrated..it did. We did additional urinalysis, blood work, a chest xray and an abdominal sonogram. Nothing- The second series of blood work came back and the results were all over the place. The Dr. said he would consult with a pathologist. The Urinalysis had shed minute kidney cells ie. blood in urine-nothing abnormal- No one had an answer and within 2 weeks he lost 12lbs. We went to another vet (2nd opinion) who gave him prednisone and another antibiotic, cortisone injection and he rebounded- but only for 2 weeks. He was now uncomfortable but never had an accident.Last week we asked the vet to please make him comfortable- he gave him an opiate injection with our understanding that he was just treating his symptoms and it was too late to find a cause. He rebounded for 4 days and began bloating and died in my daughters arms in her bed on the 6th day. On the 6th day he was outside till 3:30 am  and made peace with mother nature, came back in the house and gave a muffled bark into the bedrooms, nudged my daughter to get on the bed and finally layed down stretched out on his side. He let out 2 long sighs and left our world. I am so guilt ridden that I did not press for specific answers. I also must say that he did wag his tail when we loved him to bits between episodes up till his last moments. We are Heartbroken and miss his antics. We never had a diagnosis and I feel as though we overlooked something.
I am so very sorry to hear you lost your Chester. It's so sad when we do anything to help them, and yet whatever we do seems to do no good.
It does sound as though both vets tried very hard to locate the cause of what was wrong with him, but yes, they must have overlooked something.
I think, from what you have said, that you did your very very best for him. You tried, tried, and tried again.

But I do question what one vet said "it was too late to find a cause".....is it ever too late to find a cause?
It's my opinion, though of course, I might be wrong, that he died of kidney failure. But another cause could have been heart failure. However, excessive drinking and urinating doesn't normally go along with heart failure, but is classic for kidney failure. Also Cushing's and Diabetes, but I think more likely it was his kidneys from what you have said.

Chester was so obviously well loved in your family, and I can imagine how missed he is. We love them so much and they are always missed acutely. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I do know how you must be feeling.
The 2nd vet asked why they had not tested for Leptospirosis? When my husband suggested it the first vet said he highly doubted it, and it was deadly and most often not treatable. But we do have raccoon, possum and he did walk the woods the week prior. We also have a small pond, but that never bothered him. We did have an unusually warm winter..We also question any antifreeze drips in the driveway? Any minute volume of consequence would have been deadly within hours both vets said. He did concentrate his urine, although that could happen with one good kidney even if one were damaged. He did not have Cushings or Diabedes-both negative. It pains us that we tried, but missed something early on. They did not see Cancer on the xray or abdominal sonogram. The 2nd vet said it  was not blood born reds ok, white somewhat elevated. We just watched him decline-. He deserved the best, he begged with his eyes, please help me.