Can't Walk, I really need help
I have a 12 year old golden retriever that had started to fall down a couple of weeks ago.  I took him to he vet who said because he has dysplasia in the right hip and inflammation in the left hind leg, that was the problem.  His spine and other organs are fine.  So he changed his medication and we added glucosamine.  He started walking around fine.  One week later he fell down again and couldn't get up.  I help he up but noticed his left hind leg was just going everywhere as he tried to walk.  The rest of that night he didn't move and the next morning he couldn't turn himself over.

The vet isn't sure what happened.  He put him on steroids because he thought it could be a blood clot in his spine.  It's been four days and he has not improved much.  He's a big down and I can't carry him not to mention he has not bladder control and has to be cathaterized.  He can sit on his front legs but not all the way up.  He wags his tail (the vet says it spontanteous) and he's very alert.  

Could something else have happened that my vet maybe missing?  I don't want to put him down unless I have done everything I possibly can for him.  Your help is greatly needed!
It's possible that the hip joint is now simply too damaged to hold him up.  You would need x-rays to tell you exactly what is going on, and to help you decide what to do.  Hip dysplasia is such a heartbreaking problem because the dog is fine otherwise.  Some dogs can get used to be crippled and still get around OK - others just can't deal with it.  

Since he's not really mobile on his own, I'm wondering if you could try a little supportive trick to get him in and out of the house, or from room to room.  You can try using a bath towel as a sling.  Pass the towel under the dog's tummy, just in front of the back legs, and hold the ends up with your hand.  Pull upward just enough to assist him in getting up, and maintain just a couple pounds of resistance to support that back end while he slowly walks.  You don't want to pull his hind end off the ground, just enough to take the bulk of the weight off the hip joint.  That might help to get him moving a bit in the interim.
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobility%20-%20Harness.htm TRY THIS SITE THEY ARE NICE PEOPLE AND THIS PRODUCT WORKS FOR THAT I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 14 YEAR OLD CHOW CHOW http://www.handicappedpets.com/resleash/ SAD AND HARD SITUATION TO DEAL WITH
How is your golden retriever doing?  Your post was in November - just wondering how he (and you) have been getting along.  Any improvements?
My lab is 5 yrs and has been diagnoised with lymphoma  of the spine. the problem is that he can't walk, stand sit up only slightly.  My vet doesnt know why he cant stand or walk.  He can wee and poo with the help of me and my husband holding him and wags his tail.  Please help we are at a loss, any comments would be appreciated.

Tracey 29.7,08
I have a 17 year old Terrier mix and when he walkes he falls down alot. I notice on his head he had a huge bump that looked like a blood clot but the vet said not to worry. yesterday i noticed another bump next to the one that was already their. when he falls down he stiffings up and poops and pees when he does that. not sure whats going on, and don't want to put him down. please help with any suggestions.

Beckey 2-4-2010
You may want to take him to a vet. it sounds like he could be having seizures.
i have a 2yr old shitzu spaniel mix.  he jumps all the time he jumps on the couch and sits in window!!! lately hes been laying and when he gets up his back legs are wobbly and he lays back down he eats real good and was jumping around, now hes back to laying!!! condrotin and glucosime was what the vet ordered but has not helped!!!!
There is a possibility that he may have a problem going on with his with his hind legs.It is really common in small breeds for them to get ruptured or torn cruciates.It ca be repaired by surgery and sometimes if you can keep them from jumping it can heal it self.I would ask your vet to his back legs.Also in smaller breeds there Knee caps can pop in and out of place.I have Pekingese and they have trouble with there knees.Please keep us posted and let us know how your baby is doing.
I have a 13 month old golden retriver mix she was fine all day then i went out to dinner and came home she couldnt stand on her back left leg and was whimpering i dnt know what todo
You have posted your question at the end of a four year old thread, so you are not likely to get too many responses.  You would be much better off starting a new thread for your question so that it gets the attention it deserves.

Go to the top of the page and click the button that says "Post A Question".  Then simply type your post into the box provided and then click the "Post" button at the bottom of the box and you will have a thread dedicated just to your question.

Ghilly