Dogs Community
Cant get My skinny Jack Russel to Put on Weight Whats Wrong?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

About 2 weeks ago I found a little Jack Russel, He just walked right up to our house and came in the door. He is a very sweet friendly little dog. We believe that he is about 2 years old. We posted adds, took him in, hes not microchiped and nobody a reply or looked. When we found him he was very skinny so we have been feeding him ( i own a large dog already, mix breed red heeler/german shepard) We figured that he was just lost for a few days and hungry and lost weight, he had a collar (with NO tag)and was neutured so we where sure somebody would find him! Now thats its been so long with no hope we where concidering keeping him, but i was wondering why he is still so skinny!? does anyone have any ideas on~
How long does it take for a dog like his breed to start putting on weight? Is it normal to be very skinny still, as to see his spine bones? should I try mixing egg (or something) in his food.. or is there something to help him get back to normal weight? any help? Thanks so much!!
First of all Worm him! he would be full of them...and follow up again in about 6 weeks.
For the moment just feed him little and often weetbix and milk for breakfast with an egg would be fine,and make sure he has minced beef of chicken with veggies and some dog kibble.
  He should put on weight in no time.  
It's so good that you took that little dog on. I'm sure he is very grateful. You don't know how long he'd been outside surviving on his wits. Jack Russells are very tough dogs. They can endure a lot more than some breeds.
But there's a lot you don't know about him.  My advice would be to take him for a general health check with the vet. He may have issues you don't know about, even if he looks fit and well.
The vet may run some bloodwork, and prescribe a good multi-wormer.

My other dog, Toby, was found like this. He just came to us, wouldn't go away, and everything I did for weeks and weeks to find his owners failed. So he stayed with us.
But that first week, I took him for a general check-up at the vet's.
Thanks for the reply! I will definatly try the feeding plan, seeana!
Wow! I didnt even think of worms! I hope that is NOT the case! Now, what could be the implications for my other dog?! Like could my other dog have worms too now, if the Jack Russel does?? And what about kids, I have three small children, I sure hope it couldnt be passed! Now that we are serious about keeping him, It is probly a good time/ idea to take him to the Vet.