Dogs Community
Chihuahua with Cushing Disease--How do you let go???

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have a 15+ year old chihuahua with Cushing disease. Extreme thirst, frequent urination--even now urinating on himself. Even if taken outside every hour sometimes he cannot even raise his leg and urinates on himself. He also urinates on himself while lying down. He has the "pot belly" and has gained from 12 lbs up 17 lbs---He is the older, larger type of chihuahua. I have to pick him up to get up steps and sometimes now it must hurt him because he tries to bite me when I lift him up. He also has hair loss, some diarrhea, thin skin with some bruising. My question is "How do you let go?" I have been a nurse for 20+ years so I certainly have been around death--and even prayed for death to come to suffering patients but this is SO different!!! I know in my heart that it IS time but I feel as if I am playing GOD and maybe it is a sin. I also feel that Peanut has trusted me all(most) of his life and I am going to take him somewhere where his life is snubbed out as routine as simply giving a rabies injection. Any insight from anybody that has been though this would help greatly. Thanks in advance!!
Georgiadaisy, we went through this exact thing a month ago, and I know what you mean about playing God.  If they would only pass on their own, it would be so much easier, but unfortunately it seldom happens that way.  You feel guilty for letting them suffer and be in misery, but  also feel guilty if you put them to sleep.  Our dog was twelve with Cushings, and never responded well to the meds.  The last week,  we knew it was time, just by looking at her eyes.  I think she was frightened because we were so sad around her and she couldn't understand, but I also think she was miserable. We had to carry her outside somedays, and the last week she stopped eating.  We ran out of ideas of things to try to get her to eat, which was the hardest because eating was her favortie pastime for twelve years.  The ONLY thing Mollie ever refused to eat was popcorn, she loved her oranges, watermelon, etc. Even though I am crying while typing this, I can tell you it will get better.  I know Molllie didn't want to live like that, and I doubt your Peanut does.  Be strong for him, and know that he will no longer be in pain and he'll be in a better place. Write back and let me know how your doing, God Bless you and Peanut.
I also had to put my fur baby down a year ago and my heart still hurts, but i could not watch him suffer trying to take a breath, its so painful for them and very scarey. i can say the only thing i reget of it was i was not in room with him, i could not hold him and watch him go out,look at his pretty brown eyes , i just could not and i feel so bad about that. my vet took care of him for 14 years he was 17 in our years when he passed, he held him for me, hes now sitting inmy office in a box i could not bury him, i wanted him with me. i also could not stand my house when i came home and he was not at dorr wagging his tail happy to see me so i got me a little girl this time and different color than he was they are shih ztu and i love her so much, she will never take my little boys place but she fills the hole in my heart and we are so in love with her.  i know how hard it is, i hope everything worked out for you and that your ok with what you had to do to make your fur baby feel better and not scared.